Logging jogging vs. walking

Options
Charice
Charice Posts: 188 Member
OK, I will just admit it upfront, I am slow....really slow! But my question is this...my jogging pace is about 4.2-4.5, but when I go to log my exercise it only lists walking at that pace. Does it really matter if I am walking or jogging at that pace, is the cal burn the same? Thanks for any help in advance...and yes, I am working on the speed thing as I get in better shape! :happy:

Replies

• MobyLovesPie
    MobyLovesPie Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat and look forward to seeing the answers
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Well, some people can walk that pace, so I would log it as that. For me, I jog at that as well.. LOL I am interested in knowing the calorie difference though.
  • PoshTaush
    PoshTaush Posts: 1,247
    Options
    Girl me too!!! I'm so glad you asked this question!! At 5' 2" and 220 pounds 5 mph is almost sprinting for me! lol....
  • tate_la06
    Options
    It depends on the stride of each person. My husband is 5'10" and he can walk at 4.5 mph. I'm 5'4" and that's a medium jog speed for me. I do intervals between 3.5 and 5.0 mph and it actually burns more fat. Your best bet would be to make your own exercise logs so you feel better and understand your own personal speeds :)
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I jog about 4.5-5 mph light, and slow.
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    In my experience....I do burn more when I jog vs. walking at whatever speed....I use a HRM and I generally do intervals...run for 5 minutes, jog for 1 or 2, and change it up. I don't run fast yet...in fact, I am VERY slow....I run/walk a 5K in about 45 minutes. (which is like what, avg 4mph?) LOL But, that is okay, cause doing that today, with warm up and cool down I burned 711 calories!!!

Have fun!!
  • jen11232
    jen11232 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I haven't bothered to google this, but I heard that the calorie difference between running 3 miles, jogging 3 miles and walking 3 miles is almost nil. You do burn a few extra calories when you go faster because your arms and legs' range of motion is a bit bigger, but from what I understand, it's not that much.

How about a heart-rate monitor? That should help you determine how many calories you're burning.
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" and am in fairly good shape and I CANNOT walk @ 4 mph. I max out at 3.6 (on my treadmill). I also get frustrated that the exercise log only lists walking at that speed b/c jogging/running burns more calories for me b/c I have to work harder. I would invest in a HRM to be more accurate, but for now, log it as walking and then you'll probably be burning more than you think. I tend to undercut my calorie burn just to be on the safe side.
  • Charice
    Charice Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone! I hope to get a HRM soon, I have been shopping around, just need the money (lol). I have just been logging as the walk and assume I am burning at least that many calories! Thanks again.
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    FWIW- I have a HRM that tells me my HR and calories burned, but if I work out my average HR and time spent doing a workout - it always equates a higher burn than what my monitor tells me. SO...I don't know if all HRMs are created equal. But I would hate to spend $100 on one. Good luck finding one you like!