Garmin Edge 1000

Options
Does anyone have this? I'm thinking of getting it with the speed and cadence monitor for my fiancée for his birthday. He has a Virb Elite camera so I thought it would be good to stick to Garmin.
I'm then planning to get a HRM for his running, for Christmas.

Replies

• Edie30
    Edie30 Posts: 216
    Options
    Is that the one that's nearly $600... I'm swooning over that one. Actually ... Any opinions on Garmin on here? I don't know anyone who has one. I know the HRM RUN is the heart monitor to get if he's a runner ... Lucky boyfriend!
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'll look at that too. I just feel if I'm bearing him a bike computer, I want him to pleased with it. Don't want to,spend money for the sake of it though.
  • aron115
    aron115 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin 510 which came with the speed, cadence and heart rate monitor. It is not quite as nice as the Garmin 1000 but I still like it quite a bit. I do enjoy seeing the stats it provides on Garmin Connect as well as Strava.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Thanks aron.
  • handyandy9x
    handyandy9x Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've got an Edge 800 and its great with HRM and Cadence monitor... it wasn't able to sync directly through Garmin Connect, but that might have changed now. You can sync it however through Strava or Mapmyride
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Thanks handy andy
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    As an avid cyclist I wouldn't want the Garmin 1000 personally. It's physically too big and does not give any significant benefits over the 810 model.

If he wants or needs maps then I'd go with the 810 which is significantly cheaper. If not then I'd go for the 510 which does everything a cyclist would want and is much smaller.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Thanks veloman. I suppose I thought more expensive would be best ni'll look at the 810 and 510.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If he's also a runner have you considered one of the Forerunner models with the cadence sensor option?

I use a Foreruner 610 for both running & biking, I'm sure it's probably not as fully featured as a dedicated bike computer (I've drooled over the Edges but just couldn't justify spending the extra $$ as I'm also thinking of a power metre for the bike.......too many toys, too few $$)
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Are the power meters not about £700. I'm possibly thinking of a forerunner 610 for Christmas.
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Oops I missed the running bit, as Brian says the Forerunner XT series would be great for someone who runs and rides though I have to say I prefer having dedicated units for each discipline. I have a FR310XT that I use for running and as a backup bike computer and it works fine. The new 920XT model looks really nice however and it can even be used to control the Virb Elite too.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Ok. Decision made. Going to get seperate units. For his birthday this month, Going to get the Edge 1000. He can use it with his trainer too and it will plan set mileage routes for him.

For Christmas I will get a HRM for running. Will look at the 620 with HRM run or the one with the funny name, which will also control the virb.

Sounds extravagant but he's a wonderful man and he never spends money on himself so I want to treat him.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    jaz050465 wrote: »
    Are the power meters not about £700. I'm possibly thinking of a forerunner 610 for Christmas.

Don't know the exact conversion to GBP, but in the US you can get a whole wheelset with a powertap for around $1000. Or you can get a crank-based power meter like a Quarq for around $1500.

On my road bike I went with the less expensive Powertap option since I always run the same wheels on that bike. On my tri-bike I run a Quarq because I swap between regular wheels and race wheels pretty regularly.
  • dazwan
    dazwan Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I used to use a forerunner 305 for the bike and running (you can get a handlebar mount for the forerunner). Now I use an ageing Motoactv which does everything I need.

When that dies, I plan on looking at the garmin 500 or 510. All I need is the gps/cadence/HRM. I wish I could justify the extra for the higher models as I like the idea of setting routes at home then having the computer direct me, and being able to have my partner see where I am just by looking online (for safety, if I'm moving, I'm not laying in a ditch somewhere by the side of the road, and if I am then she can call emergency services to check me out).
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    The 810 is nice if you need/want the ability for it to give you turn-by-turn directions. If you are more inclined to just ride, or you know your route, the 510 is more than enough.

I use a 500 and if I am riding an unfamiliar route, I will always have my phone with me that can direct me if I get lost.