I'm afraid I'll hate lifting

Options
Andiebeanluvsu
Andiebeanluvsu Posts: 105 Member
edited November 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm a total cardio junkie! I know I'll eventually need to start lifting heavy soon for strength and aesthetics (I definitely DON'T want to be just skin and bones).

The thing is, running and me... We've been best buds since I started running in May. It was a very easy and relatable sport to get into to get me moving once and for all. I love the mega calorie burn on my long run days, the "me" time, how great I feel afterwards, and I could go on.

So I'm having some trouble transitioning. I have no clue where to start, or how to even make up a plan. The moves, proper form, the equipment... It all feels so complex and intimidating. I feel like if I went feet first into a progressive strength training program, I'd lose the endurance that I've worked for 5 months to gain. How can I have the best of both worlds, lol?!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    you know you can continue to run right? I hit the weight room and I ride around 80 miles per week. you can do both.

I would recommend you lifting routine to be a 3x weekly full body routine. I still ride on my lifting days..but I ride in the morning and lift in the evening. I ride pretty much 6 days per week.

You're fretting about nothing.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    then don't lift.
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Try it. You might like it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    There are a few issues in your post that I believe are anxiety driven. If you calm down and approach this as you would clothes shopping, you will be happier.

Try it on. If you like it, buy it. This doesn't mean you need to stop wearing the stuff you already own and love, in this case running. You won't know if you hate it until you try it.

If you hate the color, pick another. Body weight training for example. It does build great functional strength and gives you good looks without having to lift heavy or go to the gym. Hate body weight? Try pole dancing... etc.

If you don't like any form of strength training at all, move on. You won't be sticking to something you hate anyway. It's better to be a happy bunch of skin and bones than a miserable piece of art.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Don't design your own program. Find a beginner strength program and follow it. Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5, New Rules of Lifting, Strong Curves, all pro beginner are a few good programs.

If you don't want to join a gym, buy a TRX or Jungle Gym suspension trainer, or buy one of the bodyweight strength books. You Are Your Own Gym, Body By You, or Convict Conditioning.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    jbach2 wrote: »
    Try it. You might like it.

This... How do you know if you haven't even tried? Plus you don't have to stop running.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    It can be intimidating to do something new like that when you've no experience or guidance.

I would recommend definitely trying it - I used to be a cardio junkie, but now give me weights any day - it's far more interesting and satisfying! :)

Read New Rules of Lifting for Women - it's a brilliant foundation knowledge for what you will need to know.

Look at You Tube videos for form and instructions on how to do moves.

Like someone else said, start a structured beginners routine, don't design your own programme. Learn how sets/weights work - the website aworkoutroutine is a great explainer for the basics and what kind of weights you should be lifting and how many times etc - there is also a good beginners routine on their too.

Try a class that's weights orientated - such as Body Pump. It wont teach you excellent form but it will give you an idea of lifting moves - deadlifts, shoulder presses, bench press, dead rows etc.

If you are a gym member, see what they offer in terms of guidance. Do the gym attendants willingly show you equipment? (they should).

In terms of anxiety, yep, hitting the weights are is damn scary the first time, but I've never had anything but encouragement from the guys there.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    No one who ever tried lifting ever said they hated it afterward. You'll wonder why you were ever a cardio bunny.

Just try it. You don't know until you do.
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I am exactly the same as OP, but i am reading new rules of lifting, and to be honest still confused when it comes to some of the stuff! But folk on here have been really helpful, I have bought a cheap set of weights from Argos ( if you are in the uk ) and i am going to start at home before going to the gym, as i am to self aware at the moment.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    There are a few issues in your post that I believe are anxiety driven. If you calm down and approach this as you would clothes shopping, you will be happier.

Try it on. If you like it, buy it. This doesn't mean you need to stop wearing the stuff you already own and love, in this case running. You won't know if you hate it until you try it.

If you hate the color, pick another. Body weight training for example. It does build great functional strength and gives you good looks without having to lift heavy or go to the gym. Hate body weight? Try pole dancing... etc.

If you don't like any form of strength training at all, move on. You won't be sticking to something you hate anyway. It's better to be a happy bunch of skin and bones than a miserable piece of art.

Pretty much this.

You're getting anxious over something that really need not be anxiety-inducing. I'd recommend that you start out with Starting Strength while continuing to run-- it might slow your progress but it's worth it if you love running. If you hate barbell training then try some other form of resistance training. Personally I hate body weight training and love the barbell-- others I know are the opposite. Whatever gets the job done. And if you hate all forms of strength training then don't do it.

The best program is the one with which you can stick.
  • kierranclarke
    kierranclarke Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple. Do compound lifts 5x5 (Squats, Bench, Deadlifts) 3 x per week if you can. No need to complicate things. 5x5 rep range is also perfect for beginners like yourself. Search Mark Rippetoe Starting Strength for more info
  • rhodieridge13
    rhodieridge13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You can do it, and it's so much fun. I recommend going to bodybuilding.com and check out the beginner programs. You can also download the app to your phone and take it to the gym with you. I recently did a beginner program with Jamie Eason. It was a great segway into lifting.
    Good luck!
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Check out stronglifts 5x5 (or any beginner program).. there's an app for it and a website that details how it works and the proper form for each lift. The only stipulation would be to maybe do it a few times a week before you run (vs the every other day with no cardio that he recommends) or modify it in some way to do less/lighter squats on your off days so you don't wear your legs out.
    You can also see a personal trainer regarding a plan to work in with your running and correct your form.
    The biggest thing is to try something.. see what you like/what you don't like and WHY. and modify. I hate the 3 sets of 10 but oddly don't mind 5 sets of 5. I also prefer free weights over body weight or machines... but I wouldn't know these if I hadn't attempted.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    As a veteran runner, I tried Stronglifts and NROLFW and didn't get on with either - I just didn't have enough time and didn't want to be stiff for important running sessions. Instead I started running-specific resistance training, and yoga, which together keep me strong, flexible and injury-free without getting wobbly legs. Here are some examples - I asked a gym trainer to set me a programme. http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/10-essential-strength-exercises-for-runners?page=single
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    i joined a new gym to get the expertise to begin strength training from scratch.
    instructors give a full induction,a mapped out individual plan with set routines and regular follow up.
    i cant say i enjoy it as much as cardio,but i know its essential and can already see/feel the benefits.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    How can I have the best of both worlds, lol?!

Do both but weight (pardon the pun) your training regime towards running and resistance based training which compliments it? Lots of training plans out there which will cater to both or you could train in blocks (so concentrate your lifting in the off season.)

In addition there is no requirement at all to lift to be strong, healthy and have a good physique. You can do that with cardio alone or preferably with cardio and resistance based training (which lifting is one form of) together.

• refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I am lifting but it doesn't exactly fill me with joy..it makes the rest of my life a lot better though. I find NROLFW a bit complicated so I would suggest start with basics like kierranclarke suggested and see what you think
  • Hamez_UK
    Hamez_UK Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've just started doing the Stronglifts 5x5 and am loving it so far. Nice simple workout and the phone app is brilliant. It works out your weight and progresses it depending on how well you are doing.