"Superfoods"

Options
2»

Replies

• RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    "Superfood" is a label given to whatever random produce the producers have too much of in the shed that week. It's a marketing gimmick.

DINGDING! We have a winner.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    It all started with the French and red wine........but I have to a agree red wine is a superfood, especially with good cheese and bread.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    There is one superfood.

Bacon.

Bingo!!!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'll have to agree with it being a marketing term, but that does not mean these foods are void of benefits. My only issue with them is that they take up space in a calorie budget, space that can be filled with something similar that is more appetizing or filling.

Don't get me wrong, I do have chia seeds when I feel like having an orange chia pudding, but that's only because sometimes I crave the taste. Other than that, they are low bulk high fat, low satiation.

If I want phytonutrients, omega 3 with better availability, protein and fiber I really would rather have a cup of raspberries, 1/2 cup of greek yogurt, a huge bowl of baby spinach salad and a fish oil pill (since I have to take it anyway). It would be a good size snack that fills me better and tastes better than 2 tablespoons of chia seeds at roughly the same calories.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I have been eating a lot of foods that I hear are "super foods" such as chia, hemp, flax and other seeds, in order to boost fibre and protein. I have noticed these are adding a lot of calories to my diet.. What are peoples thoughts on eating these for goals such as weight loss and body toning?
    Thanks!

No such thing as a superfood...
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    do they wear capes?