Just when I think I've got this figured out...

Options
I have been at this for about two months, and I love this site. I have lost almost 12 pounds, and i feel like I have learned so much. Now that i'm really upping my exercise, I have developed an issue. I don't have a problem eating healthy food and staying around my calorie goal of 1200. On days like today, I have burned about 900 calories so far. I have eaten breakfast and lunch, so all I have left is supper and a snack, with 1400 calories left. I don't want to always allow myself to eat greasy, unhealthy food just because I have the calories left for it. What are some high cal foods to fill the void, that will still be healthy for me? Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies

• froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    almonds are great they have good fat and protein and one serving is 200 calories
  • JatieKo621
    JatieKo621 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem. It is easy to eat 1200 of healthy calories, but harder to eat any more than that. I could definitely eat over 1200 UNHEALTHY calories, but that really isn't the point.

I have been trying to eat more whole grain/whole wheat items, they are usually higher in calories but also higher in nutrition. 12 grain bread is great with all natural peanut butter. Also, I like brown rice a lot. I cook mine and then add some canned tomatoes (no salt added) and bell pepper to make a mexican-style rice. Pretty delicious and full of nutrients.

Plus- its not like you have to eat all 1400 in one sitting. Divide it up. Eat a high cal snack-a whole wheat tortilla filled with chicken and avocado, and then later have something different. You don't have to try to fit in all the calories just at "dinner" time, it is probably easier to have some smaller meals.

Hope this helped some!
  • dmkaiser83
    Options
    2 tbs of natural peanut butter! easy way to get protein and use a few calories!
  • abra526
    abra526 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys! I have been doing the peanut better thing, and I love the flavored cashews from World Table.
  • bethikabob
    bethikabob Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Plus- its not like you have to eat all 1400 in one sitting. Divide it up. Eat a high cal snack-a whole wheat tortilla filled with chicken and avocado, and then later have something different. You don't have to try to fit in all the calories just at "dinner" time, it is probably easier to have some smaller meals.
    Totally agree with this--some days I eat upwards of 2000 calories because of calories burned so I changed my diary settings to have a 'snack' between every meal (including the one after dinner) so that I can space out the calories better. I also agree that nuts, nut butters, and whole grains are great. Good luck!
  • NAMsMommy
    NAMsMommy Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I second (or third!) the almonds. I buy a big bag and mini snack bags and split it up as soon as I get them home.
    I also do peanut butter on whole wheat toast.
    I like the idea of whole wheat tortilla with avocado and chicken. Great way to get protein and good fat. =) Good luck!