Confused, Help - Moderation or low carb?

Options
Ok, so I am so confused as to what to do. I have been reading a lot on weightloss. Whiles I have found low carb gives you quicker weightloss and good for diabetics, I find it so hard to stick to a low carb diet such as atkins or say around 20grams of carbs a day as a lifestyle. so my question is can I eat regular things but try to watch my carbs and still loose weight or do I have to choose one low carb or calorie counting?

Replies

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    You will lose weight if you stay in a calorie deficit. You can watch your carbs, too.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,927 Member
    Options
    Well, as we all know nothing is considered good unless taken to the extreme. :)
  • parasshelawala
    parasshelawala Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The important thing is picking a diet you can stick with in the long term. If not, you will just gain the same weight back when you quit.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Find out what your maintaining caloric intake is, and then eat 15% - 20% less calories from that. Carbs will only make you gain weight if carbs are what take you over your maintenance amount.
  • hastingsmassage
    hastingsmassage Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You need carbs to have strenght. You can't stop eating them.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    rabbyduby wrote: »
    Ok, so I am so confused as to what to do. I have been reading a lot on weightloss. Whiles I have found low carb gives you quicker weightloss and good for diabetics, I find it so hard to stick to a low carb diet such as atkins or say around 20grams of carbs a day as a lifestyle. so my question is can I eat regular things but try to watch my carbs and still loose weight or do I have to choose one low carb or calorie counting?

In general, low carb diets work by being low calorie diets in disguise, because my foods that are high in carbohydrates are also calorie-dense relative to their overall nutrition profile (pastries and desserts, for example), or are used as vehicles for calorie and fat-dense foods (like a loaded baked potato or buttered rolls). As a secondary effect, low carb diets tend to show rapid 'progress' that is, for most people, merely water weight, which gives a big immediate result and then tapers off after a couple of weeks of low carb.

None of the above is intended to indicate that a low carb diet won't work, just that it works by giving some folks an easy (for them) way of watching their calories by virtue of the food choices they make.
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. Change your lifestyle. You will see results.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I find that eating lower carb (with the carbs coming primarily from whole foods like fruit) helps me stick within my calorie limits for the day. I would recommend the combined approach for that reason.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Everything in moderation. Change your lifestyle. You will see results.
    With about a 10% success rate.

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    OP, are you diabetic? If so, talk to your doctor about what is the best diet for you to manage that condition. The American Diabetes Assoc has some great info on their website too (diabetes.org)

If you want to try Atkins, South Beach or similar plans, please do your research, get the book and follow the plan as written. Some of these can actually be pretty good plans as they allow you to slowly increase your carb intake over time with a focus on healthier carbs (fresh fruits and veg, whole grains, etc). While they're not for everyone, it might be worth a try.

ETA: I'm not sure why people think Atkins makes you limit your carbs to 20g per day - that's only during the induction phase. You're allowed more as you go through the plan.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    "Whiles I have found low carb gives you quicker weightloss and good for diabetics"

Incorrect. Calorie deficit = weight loss. So low carb coupled with high fat is just asking for trouble.
  • neanderthin
    edited November 2014
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »

So low carb coupled with high fat is just asking for trouble.
    Why?

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    So, I'm going to assume you're a diabetic because I'm not sure why you'd mention low carb for diabetics if you're not.

Caloric deficit = weight loss. You need carbs for energy. Not even diabetics need to limit their carb intake to the Atkins 20 g net carb per day rule. You can certainly limit your carbs if you want to, but it's the calories that will determine your weight loss. Calories in vs. calories out.
  • hdrider406
    hdrider406 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been using moderation and watching carbs. Its slow results but it seems to be working.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Low carb can be a good way to keep a deficit and for some it can be the only WOE that helps them lose weight. I've been low-carbing for over a year now. I'm not dead and my energy is great, so those saying that you need carbs are not taking into consideration that when you eat low carb, you supplement fat for energy, rather than carbs. It's not for everyone, but you never know unless you give it the ole college try. Here's a link if you're interested in trying low carb. It will tell you all you need to know and help you with food lists and whatnot.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aiHSPoto_YqsNTDvL-g60nytMnyH-CJcCbiAx1IEUYM/mobilebasic?pli=1
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I eat low carb, but like another person stated, its really low calorie in disguise. For those who do it for long term tend to focus on more than just their carb intake. I like that I can feel full longer eating high fat, moderate protein, low carb.

You stated something about it being good for diabetics? Are you diabetic? Because then your ratios DO matter for your health.

Also, to debunk some incorrect information from PP...when you're eating low carb your energy comes from the fat you eat. Also, Atkins is 20 net for only a short amount of time. That would be more like a keto way of eating. There are several low carb ways of eating with different names (which Atkins is just one of), but usually people end up finding what works best for them and it isn't a specific name.
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Overall losing weight is about calorie deficit, but more importantly it's about learning about portion control. While focusing on certain Macro percentages may help speed up the process, if you don't intend on eating like that for the rest of your life, it will be a short experiment. Better to eat the right quantities of foods you like.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Calorie counting. There's no need to exclude carbs, but, since carb heavy foods can be quite calorie dense, it makes sense to reduce them a bit.

Fat heavy foods can be quite calorie dense as well... oh, and protein heavy foods as well :wink:
    Find out what your maintaining caloric intake is, and then eat 15% - 20% less calories from that. Carbs will only make you gain weight if carbs are what take you over your maintenance amount.

Carbs is not what makes you gain weight if over maintenance. Excess calories will.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »

So low carb coupled with high fat is just asking for trouble.
    Why?

Low carb diets are unsustainable. They are a quick fix... not recommended by any medical expert. So if you are just eating fat and not reducing your calorie intake, then what is the point of a low carb diet?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Whether you cut carbs or not, you still must be in a calorie deficit to lose weight. If you ate an excess of calories, even if they're all protein, you'll gain weight. So, since the best way to know if you're in a calorie deficit is to accurately count calories, why complicate it by also cutting carbs?

Some people do find that it's easier to stay within their calorie goal if they reduce starchy or sweet carbs, or plan them carefully, and that's fine, but there's no need to deprive yourself of carbs.