Fitbit or Nike Fuel

Options
Hi everyone, I am thinking of buying one of those fitness bands. Wanted to get some feedback from people who currently own it. Do you make good use of it? Worth the money? I believe our smart phones can record almost everything the bands are doing so why purchase one? I guess the only benefit I can see is the sleep tracking but I believe there are apps for that too now.

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit flex. While my phone can record steps, I don't carry it on my person while at home. The Flex however only ever leaves my wrist to be charged.

I am looking into getting the Fitbit Surge when it comes out next year. It is going to be rated 5ATM waterproof, look like a watch, monitor HR, have gps, do everything my flex does and some more features that I can't remember right now.

They also have the cheaper Charge HR coming out as well. The Charge which was released this year is the replacement for the Force (which was recalled earlier this year). The Charge HR, is the same band with the added HRM functions.

Oh and for me the calorie burn estimate is actually not to far off from reality. Intake vs Loss puts my average daily calorie burn around 2600 for the last 30 days. However, my Flex says my average is 2452 for the last 30 days.

• TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I have gotten a ton of useful benefit from my Polar heart rate monitor. It gives me an extremely accurate reading of the calories I burn when exercising, and it gives me my average heart rate, my max heart rate, and workout load. I considered the FitBit, but choose the Polar and have never regretted it. I have the FT7 watch. Recently, my H1 sensor and chest strap were stolen, so I've had to buy a replacement. Polar now makes an H7 sensor that works with the FT7 watch. The H7 has bluetooth and will transmit to smart phone apps. I mention the chest strap; yes, you have to wear a chest strap with any decent HRM. I'm pretty interested in Apple's watch, which is coming out next year. I may get one, and do a comparison with my Polar HRM. If they read about the same, I'll give my HRM to my wife. and just use the Apple watch,