When do you weigh yourself... I'm scale obsessed now!

Options

Replies

• MaxPower0102
    MaxPower0102 Posts: 2,654 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning at 7am and log it into MFP. It serves as both positive and negative reinforcement for my choices the day before. I have found that some nights when I can feel the urge to go in the kitchen and 'graze", I have thought "What will that do to the scale # tomorrow morning" and it has stopped a Snack Attack before it happens. The trick for me is to not get discouraged if I had a good eating day but my # doesn't change the way I expect the next morning (I blame water weight fluctuation). I use that as motivation for the day to make sure the dials moves in the right direction tomorrow.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I haven't weighed since April. I use other gauges for where I am instead of my relationship with gravity. I stay on course much better. With that said, when I was in active weight loss mode (70lbs) I weighed weekly then moved to monthly. Weighing more often doesnt serve you well. I recommend focusing on being consistent with food and activity and let the body changes happen. If you get too obsessed with scale, then it takes emphasis over what REALLY matters. Emphasis and your mental energy needs to go toward making lasting lifestyle changes to the way you eat & move. If you are consistent & persistent with THAT - the weight will fall into place.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    You do gain water weight over the course of a day. I weigh one day a week early in the morning, after using the bathroom but before I eat anything. If you're consistent you should see a downward trend if you're doing everything right. Though one week a month I put on 3 pounds of water weight because of tom, but it's usually gone the week after.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Every morning. Wake up, go to the bathroom, weigh myself. I log the weight into a Google Docs spreadsheet via my phone and the spreadsheet automatically generates an average weight for the week. The weekly average weight is what I use as my guide to what's actually going on so I don't stress about day-to-day fluctuations.

Plus, the spreadsheet gives me a nice graph to look at when/if I start getting discouraged. I don't know why, but looking at the downward trend really helps me mentally.
    7xxoa3sj9tct.png

• pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Once a week, same time, same place, same kind of clothes. There is a set of scales at my gym which come up a bit beneath where I have been weighing for months - I was tempted as they're free but then the Boots scales are calibrated better, in my mind, and so I will keep paying my 50p per week and having my 'individual slimming club' moment after Pilates!
  • csever82
    csever82 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I weigh every Saturday morning, and I put the scale in a hard-to-reach place the rest of the week so as to make it a chore to do it any other day. I get up out of bed immediately upon waking (usually about 7:00), go to the bathroom, and then take off all clothes. I make sure the scale is in the same spot every time. I step on, get my weight, step off and let it reset, then step on again...just to make sure it's accurate. Then the scale is put away again until the following week.

For weeks that I have a big dinner out on Friday night...I still weigh on Saturday morning. For trips away from home, I plan for it. For example, we went up north over Labor Day weekend, leaving on Friday. I weighed on Friday morning that week, but went back to Saturday when we returned.
  • feralkitten1010
    feralkitten1010 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning but only log on Fridays. I actually really enjoy observing my daily patterns.
  • TheRealKit
    TheRealKit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am prone to retain water water , so I weigh myself every morning. I started the lipotropic injections last week and was 9 lbs lighter this morning. I also have urinated like a hundred times! I won't log this weight loss because I know it is water.

I weigh to keep up with the amount of water retention I have . By measuring daily I can see a pattern . I refuse to get too worried about it unless I have a crazy weight gain.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Every 2 weeks or so, first thing in the AM, without clothes, after using the bathroom. I don't want to weigh my food, drinks, and clothing; only my body. Fluctuations freak me out so I have decided every couple weeks is a good interval.
  • leesa_08
    leesa_08 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've done it every mornig but the fluctuation got to me. I know your weight fluctuates and all but I was always curios. I've now put my scale away and will do weekly weigh ins. I've recently started measuring and I'm hoping to see changes there as well :) I'll probably do measuring once a month though
  • otter090812
    otter090812 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I weigh every Friday morning. Moving from daily to weekly weigh-ins was one of the best things I ever did for my mental health! But that's just me of course...
  • CoolBeans520
    Options
    The scale will fluctuate few pounds here and there(water weight, muscle loss/muscle gain etc). Body fat percentage would be the most accurate to determine your overall health and fitness, which is the ratio of lean muscle mass to body fat. once you determine that you can google the chart it will tell you what ends of the spectrum you fall in as. Guys and girls have different charts because naturally girls tend to store more fat in certain regions(genetics) than guys do. For example a guy could be 16% body fat and not have a 6 pack but a woman can.
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself everyday but started getting obsessed as well so now I do it once a week. Much better way of determining whether or not you actually gained.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Monthly, same day, before breakfast and in the gym. The last condition means I have to wear clothes, fortunately for the other patrons.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Every Saturday morning, after I use the bathroom, butt nekkid. Sometimes I'll randomly weigh in during the week, but usually not. I don't get the point of weighing in every day. With all the normal fluctuations, I don't think it matters how much I weigh on Tuesday vs. Thursday. The number on the scale isn't all that important to me at this point anyway.
  • Pattinan
    Pattinan Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day and try not to worry about fluctuations. It keeps me on track. When I do not the days and weeks go by...I don't want to see the number. For me, every day keeps me honest. It is what it is. Can't deny when you see it every day. I am at goal and need to be reminded of how far I've come and how hard I've worked for it!
  • mrsgoof
    mrsgoof Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am currently weighing in every mrningvwehen I get up, but find I get down on myself if my weight has increased slightly :-\ I too think I'm a bit "scale obsessed". I'm going to try and change to once a week, Friday morning.
  • ASG_21
    ASG_21 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week, every Monday morning (because MFP resets on Mondays, so I like to be able to go over the last week and check on my intake/exercise/macros if I got an especially good or bad week). As everyone else said, I weigh first thing in the morning, after potty and before food. It's the most accurate picture you'll get! :smile:
  • EvaL01
    EvaL01 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week in the morning after using the restroom and before eating and exercising.