Multi gym v Weights bench

Options
Hi all,
Wondering if anyone could offer me some advice on home gym equipment. I'm looking to build muscle across the board, but if I can get my body fat down to a low enough level, Id like to try and build my abs.
Does anyone have a view on what would be the best use of space in my home gym... multi gym, or weights bench? I prefer the idea of a multi gym, but am not sure what exercises are going to be best for building the abs up.
any views or opinions would be most welcome.
cheers
luke

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I bought a reasonably good multi-gym a few years ago as my kids were too young to spot for me (and now they're old enough to they'll be going away to university soon) .

Were I to do it again I would probably go with a bench and free weights. A lot less money, more variety and you can do exercises that work smaller stabilizer muscles etc. I've gotten good value & good use from my multi-gym but if I were to buy one again I'd forgo the leg press attachment (takes up more space, adds to cost & I ended up squatting any way...)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Bench, squat rack/power cage, and plates. Dumbbells if you want.

It's the most flexible, can cover all the major exercises/muscles, and can/will grow with you as you progress. Assuming the rack/cage has adjustable safety bars, safety is not an issue, even if you don't have a spotter.

I upgraded from a smith machines to a full cage and like it soooooo much better.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Seconding power cage, barbell, adjustable bench, and plates. With this combination there's damned near nothing you can't do. The entry cost can be high - over USD 2000 - but you'll quickly make it up in gym fees you're not paying and convenience.
  • Billtrek613
    Options
    Third on free weights. Check garage sales and Craiglist for equipment on the cheap. Buy a little at a time, and build up as you go. Good Luck
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm not a fan of the multi-gym setups. With most you are very limited on the exercises you can do. You'll ALWAYS be better off using free weights. Obviously a Power Rack & Barbell set is optimal. That said, I started with a pair of adjustable dumbbells and a bench (which I still use) and made great gains.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Best use of space is pretty much always going to be a power rack. A full-size rack is only about 4'x4' and you can do pretty much everything with just a power rack and an adjustable bench. If you were really limited in space you could even get a half rack (which is about half as deep but the same width). A barbell with plates and/or some DBs will pretty much take you wherever you want to go within reason.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    power cage all the way.
  • jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Casting my vote for the rack, bench, plates and dumb bells. Best investment I've made health-wise.
  • ljones27uk
    ljones27uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Really glad I asked, I was planning on buying a multi gym, but not one single vote for multi gym... One last question, is there any advantage at all of a multi gym versus power rack? Thanks everyone, I'm totally new to weight training so looking fwd to a new challenge and seeing those results. Cheers all
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Other than easier clean up and maybe cheaper. I can't think of one. My vote would be power rack and a bench. You can do all the heavy lifts in the rack with the bars set and won't need a spotter. Safety first ;)
  • FullOnBurn
    FullOnBurn Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Another vote for rack + barbells. Also look into getting a book about basic strength training like Mark Ripptoe's Starting Strength or Mehdi's 5x5 Stronglifts - there are many variations of the progressive overloading using compound exercises which will explain why barbell exercise are much better overall for you than strength machines.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You can do everything you need to be doing with a power rack and adjustable bench. Compound lifts with free weights are far superior to using a resistance machine.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You can do everything you need to be doing with a power rack and adjustable bench. Compound lifts with free weights are far superior to using a resistance machine.

Another vote for freeweights
  • SXMEnrico
    SXMEnrico Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Bench, squat rack/power cage, and plates. Dumbbells if you want.

It's the most flexible, can cover all the major exercises/muscles, and can/will grow with you as you progress. Assuming the rack/cage has adjustable safety bars, safety is not an issue, even if you don't have a spotter.

I upgraded from a smith machines to a full cage and like it soooooo much better.

this.

• ljones27uk
    ljones27uk Posts: 177 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    thinking something like this? Should leave a bit more space than a full rack.. keen to have some floor space for a punch bag and floor work.. look like a sensible start for a complete newbie?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Physionics®-HNTLB05-Multifunctional-Fitness-Station/dp/B008TQTXHI/ref=sr_1_11?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1415704871&sr=1-11&keywords=weight+bench
  • GeeWillickers
    GeeWillickers Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    An adjustable bench and dumbbells are a great start. I have the Selecttech 1090's which are decent but, suggest to people to look into the Powerblocks as they have barbell and ez curl accessories now. In terms of machines I'd go with a 70 degree Smith machine and power rack with a bench
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    +1 free weights

My parents bought a multi-gym since it seemed so easy and convenient to use and is very compact. It's collecting dust in a corner of the spare bedroom.

They are now paying to lift at a gym (machines - they don't believe me that free weights are just as safe if you learn form first, and use a power cage with safety bars).