Low Carb Protein drink? Recommendations

Options
Can anyone recommend a low carb/sugar protein drink?

In the past i've bought PNI Lean Shake but unsure whether there is a better one to use?

Thanks in advance xx

Replies

• ggirard27
    ggirard27 Posts: 11 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    If you need something pre-packaged, IDK.
    Otherwise, I would suggest unsweetened soy milk mixed with a lean protein powder such as Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard, flavor of your choice. It makes for a very high protein beverage that is low carbs with good fatty acids, depending on the soy milk brand.

For example:
    1 cup Natur-a unsweetened organic fortified soy milk
    80 cal
    3.5g fat (~2g omega3-6)
    4g carbs (1g fiber 2g sugar)
    8g protein

1 scoop Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard Extreme Chocolate Milk
    130 cal
    1.5g fat
    4g carbs (1g sugar)
    24g protein

Total:
    210 cal
    5g fat
    8g carbs (3g sugar)
    32g protein
  • Cassie_DE
    Cassie_DE Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Maybe try vegan protein shakes? The best one I know of is "Progressive VegEssential all in One". It's flavoured with Stevia leaf instead of sugar, but does have 8grams of glucides/carbs and 180 calories
    I also have "Genuine Health Vegan Proteins+" which has 110 calories per serving and 3 grams of glucides/carbs, and is also sweetened with Stevia leaf.
  • mskatiewonderful
    Options
    I'd also recommend ON Gold Standard whey mixed with your milk of choice (cow, almond, soy, whatever). It's low in carbs, I thing 4g per serving. The chocolate coconut is the best tasting protein shake I've ever tried, it's not terribly expensive as far as protein powders are concerned, and it's pretty easy to find (amazon, bodybuilding.com, GNC)
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I use Biochem 100% Whey Protein Powder (Natural Flavor) every day.

90 cal, 20g protein, 0g sugar.

I mix it with either almond milk or throw it in a green smoothie (kale, flax seed, and banana). It is good to pair protein with some sugar, but most protein drinks/powders contain way too much sugar. Taste is good in my opinion and it mixes easily even with just a shaker ball.

It also is GMO free, doesn't contain soy, gluten, artificial flavors, preservatives, or hormones. If any of that matters to you.
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I use Cytosport 100% Whey in Chocolate. I mix mine with plain cold water in a blender bottle and it tastes very good. 1 serving has 140 calories, 27 g protein, 3 g carbs. I'm pretty picky when it comes to protein powder that it provide a high amount of protein per 100 calories and be low in carbs. This is the best one I've found so far in a powder. I buy it at Costco so it's also a good value.

For the pre-packaged shakes I like Premier Protein, also sold at Costco. It's 160 calories per serving with 30 g protein, 5 g total carbs and 3 g fiber for 2 grams net carbs.

The pre-packaged is a bit more pricey than the powder, of course, and I have to fuss with it being cold (a personal preference) after a workout so I've been sticking with the powder and cold water out of the filtered water dispenser at my gym.
  • beckytcy
    beckytcy Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The best one i have found is CVS brand. It's new and cheap (about $20 for a big tub) and has only 2g sugar, which is less than a lot of other ones I have seen.
  • FitNJMamma
    FitNJMamma Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    IsoPure Zero Carb. I recommend creamy vanilla flavor
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    MusclePharm Combat Powder. Incredibly creamy when just using water.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend ISOPURE just because I've tried it, and I know they have a blend with zero carbs.

Other then that, I'd just say search the internet until you found the cheapest stuff with the carbs (or lack there of) that you desire.

Isopure is pretty expensive.
  • creamkake27
    Options
    Isopure! Love it!