FOOD!!!

Options
ok tell me if this sounds good i eat 1 serving of oatmeal no sugar for breakfast i add granola raisins and almond slivers then a cup of almond milk. does this sound balanced should i add something?

i aslo always have a problem for lunch usually by then im starving and eat whatever but what should i eat instead any ideas?

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    What are you trying to balance?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, almonds and almond milk all good. Granola and raisins will be high in sugars, that may cause you to experience a "spike" - could be why you are so hungry come lunchtime.
    -
    - Can you have a mid morning snack - something protein based like a hard boiled egg or piece of cheese.
    - I'd go for a soup or salad based lunch, but that's just waht suits me.
  • thatswhatshesaiddd
    Options
    If your diet is not veg, I would add in some protein like eggs or just the whites. You could throw a veggie in there, too. They keep you full FORever. When I was eating oatmeal for breakfast, I'd be hungry an hour later.

If that's not an option for you, then this looks pretty balanced to me!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I always have protein with my breakfast. Usually I have a serving of Coach's Oats with a handful of berries and about an ounce of slivered almonds with 5 egg whites and one whole egg...and coffee of course.
  • Cheyenelikewyoming
    Options
    Ok - I know Oatmeal is wonderful for most people, but for me (and it seems like you) Oatmeal makes me HUNGRY! I have to start my day with protein . I eat eggs with cottage cheese cooked in, grape nuts (10 grams of protein with milk), greek yogurt. When I eat protein for breakfast, it sets my entire day up for success. I am not as hungry and I make better choices. However, although strange, sometimes I do enjoy oatmeal for dinner (with a little pumpkin puree - tis the season!) :D
  • Ludka13
    Ludka13 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    axonpanda wrote: »
    ok tell me if this sounds good i eat 1 serving of oatmeal no sugar for breakfast i add granola raisins and almond slivers then a cup of almond milk. does this sound balanced should i add something?

i aslo always have a problem for lunch usually by then im starving and eat whatever but what should i eat instead any ideas?
    That's carb heavy with little protein. You need protein and fat to get rid of hunger. Sugar and refined carbs don't keep you full. If anything you may get hungrier when the sugar high wears off. Eat whole grains.

You can have oatmeal (not instant though full of sugar and not filling enough) but add something to up the protein. That could be a tablespoon or two of soy grits or peanut butter 2 (PB2, defatted peanut butter powder, so good). Granola is high in calories (oil, sugar) and raisins are also caloric (sugar). I put 2 tablespoons of raisins in my oatmeal and that is it. Almond milk is devoid of protein so I would go for soy milk instead. Or you can eat your oatmeal without milk and have a greek yogurt on the side. Or an egg. Or a soy sausage breakfast patty (less fat and calories than a meat patty). See if you can pack 20 grams of protein into breakfast.

Another breakfast option is an egg with a side of beans. Top with salsa. Or an egg and a soy sausage patty. Kashi Go Lean cold cereal also has a good amount of protein.

• KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I would definitely add protein to your breakfast. When I eat cereal or oatmeal, I am always hungry way before lunch. When I eat an egg and cheese sandwich on 12 grain bread, I am satiated for longer. Like mentioned above add greek yogurt, eggs, cheese or whole milk instead of almond milk.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    axonpanda wrote: »

If you are starving than change the timing of your meals or what your meal consists of.

What works differs from person to person, but your breakfast would not work for me because it is almost entirely carbs. I prefer more protein and fat, and also vegetables. I usually eat a vegetable omelet with some dairy and fruit on the side (real dairy with protein), but I also like oatmeal. I've learned that oatmeal works for me if I add some protein powder and something with fat on the side. I kind of like vegetables plus smoked salmon as the side dish.

If you are a vegetarian or vegan (just guessing you might be), obviously some of this would not work, and in any case you should experiment with different things until you figure out what works for you.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Sounds boring and sugary
  • busdriver2011
    Options
    I happened to have a lot of vegies in the fridge when I started back on MFP last week, so I made a big batch of soup (so easy and tasty, flavored with curry and dill). Then I packaged it into 1-cup servings and put them in the freezer. Now I just take one out to bring to work each day. I keep almonds and applesauce at work for snacks...fruit and yogurt are also good...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Oh, for lunch the only thing that really works for me (assuming you have to take the lunch to work) is making extra dinner and packing it up immediately. I might switch up the vegetables and other sides or bring a yogurt or fruit to have with part of my dinner leftovers.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Balanced depends on what you eat the rest of your day.

Depending on what type of oatmeal and granola (and even almond milk) you have, you could be consuming lots of sugar. This would cause you to be hungry sooner than if you ate foods with more protein and fiber in them.

I like to eat every 2-3 hours. I pack a morning snack, lunch, and afternoon snack for work every day. This requires some pre-planning but it helps me resit eating too much of whatever and it keeps me from feeling hungry.