When is the best time to work out! Ideas for Pre work outs, and Post work out

Options
I get up so early in the morning, that I am not able to work out in the morning during the week, so I work out after work, before dinner. Sometimes though, I am so hungry during my work out, that all I can think about is what I'll eat once I am home. So often I'll have veggies and hummus before my work out!

What time to you work out, and what do you eat pre, and post after your work outs!

Thanks for the tips

Replies

• Cassie_DE
    Cassie_DE Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert on this stuff, but I think it might be a better idea to eat four hours before your work out and do it on an empty stomach -then eat something with plenty of protein within twenty minutes of the end of your work out.
  • TheRealKit
    TheRealKit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I go to bed around 11 pm and get up by 4 am every day. That is just the time my guy and I start getting ready for work. I get my work out in while he showers and then shower.If I am off work I still get up then and have my protein shake then run around 530 am or 6 am.

You have to find what works best for you and your schedule. Morning is easiest for me, but if I have a tough nursing shift I work out after to beat the stress
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The best time to workout is when you are most likely to do it.

If I workout in the morning, I usually have something small that is mainly fast acting carbs - fruit, candy or similar. Unless you train fasted, there is no need to rush eating after a workout - just eat your normal meals. If you train fasted, you should get something relatively close to your workout that contains a decent amount of protein, but no need to slam a protein shake immediately after (although some people do say that it helps their recovery).
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I work out at 5:30.I try and have a healthy snack (egg or tuna, sometimes crackers) about 2 hours before. It's only a small snack...After workouts I eat a lot of protein. If dinner doesn't have enough protein, I have a protein shake. if I didn't eat between lunch and my workout, I would be starving.
  • thatswhatshesaiddd
    Options
    I always try to do my workouts fasted to maximize fat loss. Try to make sure your stomach is empty and having a little caffeine before might help.
  • amphilion
    amphilion Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, this is really helping!
  • morgiee_lynne
    morgiee_lynne Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    It really is personal preference. If I eat carbs pre-workout I can workout right after I eat. If I have a heavier meal I usually have to wait an hour or so. It is whatever makes you feel as if you preform your best while working out. The only time you would be working out "fasted" is first thing in the morning, and if that doesn't work for you then don't worry about it. There is very little difference in the amount of fat loss between training fasted vs fed.

I usually workout whenever my schedule allows after work. As I am not a morning person. So I get off work at 3ish, I'll either head to the gym then or head to tutor and then go to the gym after I am done tutoring. All that really matters is that you get the workout in :)

Hope that helps, and goodluck!
  • JamieYelsik
    JamieYelsik Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think the best time is in the morning, as soon as you get up. I tried in the evenings but it was just too hard with kids and activities. It's really hard to get up some days, especially if you haven't in a while, but I love that I get it out of the way, then I feel good all day!!!