MFP Change of Stance?

Options

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Too many people have said they were strict with their restriction, then ate some more and dropped pounds...they can't all be lying. There must be something to it.

Anecdotally this happens a lot doesn't it? How many times have you heard people complain when they have been "good" all week or month and haven't lost weight or only lost a negliable amount, and then they'll say they were scared to weigh in one week because they had a blowout for some reason but then they lose more than they have in a while.

I don't know the science behind it, but I'm glad I found MFP and the people on here who promote finding the level where you can still lose weight while eating a sustainable amount rather than the usual strict 1000 calorie quick fix diets touted in magazines etc

I believe the current theory is that when you've been restricting, you're placing your body under stress. Chronic stress translates into chronically raised levels of cortisol which causes water retention. Overeating for a little bit, especially carbs, relieves the stress, lets cortisol levels drop and you drop the water weight.

So you never stopped losing fat, you just kept packing on more water. Eventually, the fat loss would win out over the water retention and you'd see it on the scale, but it would take a loooong time.

I had this happen to me a couple of weeks ago - except I compounded the problem by also steadily increasing some fairly demanding exercise over 2 months (half-marathon training + Starting Strength). Weight was not changing. I started to feel run down, so I ate more. Should specify, I ate my TDEE for a couple of days. Did not just cut loose. Lost 4 pounds in one day - at 118 lbs, so no way was that fat. Plus, my ankles and knees that had been stiff from mild edema - gone.

Now that I'm cutting again, I put 2 of those lost pounds back on. In one day again.

I'm not convinced that cortisol is the whole explanation, because there's just too much variability in the subjects' responses. Something else (maybe many something elses) is probably in play as well. But chronic under-eating and or over-exercise -> stress -> water retention masking fat loss? Especially slow fat loss? That I can get behind.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Fortunately MFP does not hand out degrees in nutrition. If you want to know the real deal - go pay money to get the scoop from a real nutritionist or dietitian. The ones I've talked to would fall off their chairs laughing at the advice on this forum.....
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Oishii wrote: »
    GauchoMark wrote: »

That said, I do believe that your body has the ability to slightly "slow" or "speed" your metabolism. In other words, it can be calorie efficient (slow) or performance efficient (fast) and so you have a 100-200 calorie window that your body can play with. So, you might be able to eat a little more and still be OK in terms of weight loss, but that is a very slippery slope.

I agree with the window but have the opposite experience. If I keep my calories towards the high end of my loss window I remain my normal, bouncy self. If my calories go too low, the subconscious bouncing stops and I may need the occasional nap. To lose weight at the lower end of that window I have to make a conscious effort to move which is unnecessary at the higher end of that window. So I'd rather lose slowly at the top end of my window, which I don't see as a 'slippery slope' at all. I'd rather maintain a higher calorie intake than keep going lower and lower.

you read my quote backwards. we are saying the same thing - "slow" and "fast" are regarding metabolism, not weight loss rate - so the high end of the calorie window would be when your metabolism may be faster and your physical performance is better, i.e. you feel better and have more energy.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i've watched with great interest over the past years the changing of the guards. i guess its all about who shouts louder, or which camp has more members. idk, red rover.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

That said, I do believe that your body has the ability to slightly "slow" or "speed" your metabolism. In other words, it can be calorie efficient (slow) or performance efficient (fast) and so you have a 100-200 calorie window that your body can play with. So, you might be able to eat a little more and still be OK in terms of weight loss, but that is a very slippery slope.

I agree with the window but have the opposite experience. If I keep my calories towards the high end of my loss window I remain my normal, bouncy self. If my calories go too low, the subconscious bouncing stops and I may need the occasional nap. To lose weight at the lower end of that window I have to make a conscious effort to move which is unnecessary at the higher end of that window. So I'd rather lose slowly at the top end of my window, which I don't see as a 'slippery slope' at all. I'd rather maintain a higher calorie intake than keep going lower and lower.

you read my quote backwards. we are saying the same thing - "slow" and "fast" are regarding metabolism, not weight loss rate - so the high end of the calorie window would be when your metabolism may be faster and your physical performance is better, i.e. you feel better and have more energy.

One thing that is pretty consistent is that people seem to only relate metabolism to consumption, and I never see any threads where it is related to muscle mass and/or energy expenditure. I guess fitness is wholly unrelated to BMR?

• Illini_Jim
    Illini_Jim Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    We're not gonna take it
    Never did and never will
    We're not gonna take it
    Gonna break it
    Gonna shake it
    Let's forget it better still
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

One thing that is pretty consistent is that people seem to only relate metabolism to consumption, and I never see any threads where it is related to muscle mass and/or energy expenditure. I guess fitness is wholly unrelated to BMR?
    Because that requires actual body analysis, and then they'll find out they're mostly flab, and that means that they, in fact, have to eat less to lose weight.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

depending on the BMR estimation equation used, BMR can be calculated directly from muscle mass. Look into the Katch-McArdle equation and similar. I, for one, always use a bmr estimation that accounts for muscle mass.

So to answer your question - depends!

Oh, and for what it's worth, these equations are not gender/age/height specific - they only rely on how much muscle you carry
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

depending on the BMR estimation equation used, BMR can be calculated directly from muscle mass. Look into the Katch-McArdle equation and similar. I, for one, always use a bmr estimation that accounts for muscle mass.

So to answer your question - depends!

Oh, and for what it's worth, these equations are not gender/age/height specific - they only rely on how much muscle you carry

Good link, thanks!

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it's the same group of people, but they have just changed their wording a bit.

Eating at a deficit will cause you to lose weight and at the same time to large of a deficit can be unhealthy/cause binging/ect.

Eat more to weigh less, simply means eating as many calories as you can to lose weight at a healthy rate. It seems that generally people who use this method are extremely careful when tracking (weighing everything solid/measuring liquids/logging every little nibble) because they have less room to make mistakes. While they have less room to make mistakes, some notice that the smaller deficit gives them more energy and makes them able to workout at a higher intensity. Some don't realise that, when increasing their calories they became more accurate with their logging.

So essetially it's the same thing. Just the deficit isn't as large. I'm glad I read about the "eat more to weight less" last year when I joined. The above is what I got out of it. I'm also comfortably losing weight (except for 9 months of pregnancy) eating in the 1800-2000 calorie range on average. I attempted to eat a bit less (thus increasing my deficit) a month or so ago and I did notice my workouts suffered. So for me, the concept is right on. However some people might do better with larger deficit.

This this this. Many people believe that they HAVE to eat 1,200 calories to lose weight. People on the forums are quick to point out that this is not necessary. Most people can lose weight slowly and steadily at more than 1,200 calories. I think that many people who do 1,200 calories are actually eating at 1,300-1,400 on average because they're more likely to have cheat days/don't use a food scale, but that's just what I've seen.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Too many people have said they were strict with their restriction, then ate some more and dropped pounds...they can't all be lying. There must be something to it.

Part of it is Berkson's Paradox aka Berkson's Fallacy. Because the people posting aren't representative of the entire population of people trying to lose weight, you get spurious correlations when you look at the restricted pool of posters.

Part of it is that weight loss isn't linear, and people are hard-wired to identify patterns even when no such pattern exists. "I ate 3000 calories in a day and saw downward scale movement the next day; eating more causes weight loss" is the same erroneous pattern identification as "I ate 700 calories in a day and saw upward scale movement the next day; eating less causes weight gain."

Part of it is that gut feel and anecdotes are no substitute for data. Unless you're doing a bunch of data analysis in Excel, you're probably wrong. If I take the 105 days of data I have handy, during which time I saw exactly 15.0 pounds of downward scale movement, and calculate the correlation between calories consumed on Day 1 and change in weight from Day 1 to Day 2, I get 0.11. That's close to zero (which would imply that daily fluctuation is essentially random), but still positive (which means that lower intake generally results in downward movement and higher intake in upward movement).

During that same time, I saw 2.2 pounds of upward movement after consuming 1430 calories, and 2 pounds of downward movement after consuming 1875 calories, but the data as a whole shows that those days were statistical outliers, rather than being representative of the actual relationship between consumption and scale movement.

You don't have to be lying in order to be mistaken.

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Many people believe that they HAVE to eat 1,200 calories to lose weight.
    You don't think most people realize that they can set their rate of loss to something slower and eat more? You might be right, I might be giving people too much credit.

I do agree most people who aim for 1200 probably achieve at least 1400, in practice. I think studies have shown even trained loggers underestimate by 25% or something.
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    The facts don't change.

Understand your calorie allowance and eat at it to maintain, below it to lose, and above it to gain weight.

Try to eat a reasonable diet whatever you're doing.

And that's it. Anything else is window dressing.

THIS
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Illini_Jim wrote: »
    We're not gonna take it
    Never did and never will
    We're not gonna take it
    Gonna break it
    Gonna shake it

I'm unsure what this has to do with this thread,BUT great song
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I used to log here very regularly months and years ago (keep coming and going) and, when I came to the boards then, most threads were full of people saying that you had to 'eat more to weigh less' and warning of 'starvation mode'. Many people even said that eating too little made them GAIN weight! As someone who had/has an eating disorder I thought it was crazy but there were loads of personal stories appearing to endorse this. The idea of calories in vs calories out was widely decried and people who suggested someone eats less to lose weight were either mocked or told off.

I've just come back again over the last couple of weeks and it seems totally different. Those saying 'eat more to break your plateau' are now in the minority and are being ridiculed by people saying all you have to do is eat in a deficit and you can't help but lose weight.

Has anyone else noticed this change or was I just reading different threads at different times?

Which philosophy do you agree with?

I found early in my journey, when I would hit a plateau, increasing my calories broke it every single time! I think it really is a mix of both. You do need to eat at a deficit to lose weight but at the same time, you do not want to put your body in the position where it feels it needs to hang on to fat. I have been maintaining for several years now so I must be doing something right :D

• Illini_Jim
    Illini_Jim Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Illini_Jim wrote: »
    We're not gonna take it
    Never did and never will
    We're not gonna take it :)
    Gonna break it
    Gonna shake it

I'm unsure what this has to do with this thread,BUT great song

It’s my commentary (albeit through Who lyrics) on people rebelling against the “only my way works” mentality of weight loss. Plus, I like the song.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I guess I haven't been on the forums long enough to see the change (2 years or so). It has pretty much been the same for those 2 years.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    Fortunately MFP does not hand out degrees in nutrition. If you want to know the real deal - go pay money to get the scoop from a real nutritionist or dietitian. The ones I've talked to would fall off their chairs laughing at the advice on this forum.....

I've done the same reading some of the advice reportedly given by nutritionists and dietitians as well, so there is that too.

Isn't it something like a 6hr course...if that...for some of these certifications?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    esjones12 wrote: »

I've done the same reading some of the advice reportedly given by nutritionists and dietitians as well, so there is that too.

Isn't it something like a 6hr course...if that...for some of these certifications?
    Registered Dietitians have a college degree. Nutritionists...I don't know. I think I could be one, lol.

But Dietitians study the hell out of nutrition for a long time. Like everyone else, they probably forget a lot of what they don't use, but it's no half-assed program for them.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, EM2WL went away long before the forum upgrade. I came back about a year ago and it was pretty much gone, whereas it was the forum battle cry in 2012, you're right.

I think it went away because people realized they were wrong. You can't 'eat more to lose more', unless there's something behavioral with you so that when you 'eat less' you binge or track wrong.

But people still are big fans of the tiny deficit, presumably to retain muscle. But even that is going to change, I think, as more and more research shows it just doesn't make that much difference and there are significant advantages to not losing at a snail's pace as well.

I agree. I used MFP fairly extensively in 2012, and that's all I heard. Now people have learned that if you're not losing, eating more isn't going to help. That's what got you here in the first place. And, this change happened WAY prior to the new format. I've been back since May, and I haven't seen/heard those people even since then.