Post-Workout Protein

Options
I work out in the evenings. By the time I get home and get dinner ready, I'm starving. I just need some good snacks with protein that I can have on the way home from the gym or while making dinner. Something small to just tide me over. I don't want to mess with protein shakes, and I avoid the bars due to the sugar content. Just wondering if anyone else has a good, portable go to...turkey jerky, almonds, etc.? Thanks!

Replies

• mlheideman
    mlheideman Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky & lots of water works for me
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    grilled chicken tenders.
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Cottage cheese or some yoghurt perhaps?
    Or make your own protein bars / pancakes / muffins / cheesecake (if you do not avoid whey protein completely)
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Yoghurt could be good or just some chicken strips? I tend to avoid jerky because of the salt content. Or just glug a load of water? How long between your workout and getting to eat dinner?
  • fruitysky
    fruitysky Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Quest bars! They usually have around 3g of sugar. I love, love, LOVE them. I also make my own "Quest" bars using Vitafiber syrup - http://vitafiber.myshopify.com/
    - There are a ton of great Vitafiber "Quest" bar recipes out there and they taste awesome, are very low sugar, and very low in net carbs due to the high fiber content.
    - Otherwise, plain greek yogurt is a favorite of some cottage cheese w/pineapple, or a hard-boiled egg.
  • thatswhatshesaiddd
    Options
    After workouts, you actually probably need something with a small amount of carbs, to replace the glycogen lost in your muscle. A small banana or small chocolate milk (or anything with some carbs). This is the best time to have a carb if you want to maximize lean muscle growth.
  • carafes
    carafes Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Often post workout I will mix water with a scoop of protein powder - quick easy and ups my protein for the day.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Why can't you wait till dinner? If you are that hungry then maybe you need to be fueling some before your workout.

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    How about dinner? You can just go home and eat dinner.

^This... end thread.

• MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk. If you've just worked out a higher ratio of carbs to protein is your friend.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    After workouts, you actually probably need something with a small amount of carbs, to replace the glycogen lost in your muscle. A small banana or small chocolate milk (or anything with some carbs). This is the best time to have a carb if you want to maximize lean muscle growth.

Unless you're an elite/endurance athlete training multiple times a day within less than 6-8 hours apart, glycogen stores will be replenished with normal food intake. Also, caloric intake is king. Nutrient timing... not so much.

• daniellekarber
    daniellekarber Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas! It's usually about an hour and a half between working out and dinner, and at the gym they tell us to get some protein with 45 minutes.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I don't always eat after I work out, but when I do, I eat sushi.