1/2 marathon

Options
2»

Replies

• SlimmerSteph
    SlimmerSteph Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Oooohhh, I just might be on this journey with you! Doing a 1/2 Marathon has been on my bucket list and I'm not getting any younger! I am not familiar with any training for one but have been inspired to check out the Hal Higdon program and the C25K as others have recommended. P.S. I'm wanting to lose 30 pounds, 35 pounds would be icing on the cake! :-)
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Hey! I just did my first half marathon a couple weekends ago and I made my own training plan based off of the Hal Higdon program and some others that I found. I trained for 16 weeks, and I started at a base "long run" of 3 miles, so you have plenty of time.

A few things I learned during training:
    1. Don't beat yourself up if you find that crosstraining is interfering with your running (i.e. crazy sore legs from spinning!) and you cut back on it.
    2. Stretch!!! Stretch a lot after every run even if it's a short one. I found that deep lunges helped a lot with pain I used to get in hip flexors when I didn't stretch a lot.
    3. I prefered not to run two days in a row just because my body felt heavy and tired. Adding a rest day in between runs worked best for me but everyone's different.
    4. Try early mornings. You'll get it done first thing and not have to worry about it all day.
    5. Invest in some really good sneakers. Get fitted at a running store and pony up the cash. Your body will thank you.
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Oooohhh, I just might be on this journey with you! Doing a 1/2 Marathon has been on my bucket list and I'm not getting any younger! I am not familiar with any training for one but have been inspired to check out the Hal Higdon program and the C25K as others have recommended. P.S. I'm wanting to lose 30 pounds, 35 pounds would be icing on the cake! :-)

Hop in and do it! Once you get a good way into your C25K, there is a good chance you'll be hooked. It's a great way to burn calories. I started running to help accelerate my weight loss goals. I wanted to lose about 30 lbs as well. I'm within 7 lbs of my goal weight. (I mixed in weight training, so the weight loss was a bit slower - but my body shape has changed a lot.)
  • lizmedrano
    lizmedrano Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have been training for my first half marathon for about 11 weeks and when I started I could only run about two miles. My long run this Sunday was 13.25 miles. My half is 11/23... so I think with effort and commitment it can be done. You have plenty of time. I found that registering for the half made me stay on target and stick to my plan. I have also incorporated cross training and weight training into my regimen. Best of luck to you! By the way- I love the added benefit of the pounds melting away!
  • r_kraft
    r_kraft Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    good advice, but again go to a running specialty store and get fitted for shoes. It will go a long way to keeping you injury free. Injury could still happen but ill-fitting shoes will guarantee an injury. Take it easy and work your way into. YOU CAN DO THIS! I did and the feeling you get when you cross the finish line is great.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    You can do this. I second the recommendation to start with C25K. I started running in July and finished the program 14 weeks and 4 days later. I'm now training for a 10K. My half marathon will be December 2015. Get fitted and buy running shoes as early as possible. Don't think about the big goal. Just think about finishing one training program at a time. You will need a year of running most likely to build up your base before you take on the final half marathon training.

A year before training for a 1/2? Really? I thought that was what was recommended as the least amount of time to go from newbie to full marathon.

I'm almost done with my 1/2 training and I just started w/ C25K in May. Even took a month off for a vacation and for pain thanks to poor shoe fit. Based on my mileage now, I could theoretically complete a marathon training program in 2-3 months, though I don't plan on it. After the holidays, maybe.