3 Steps to Incredible Health! With Joel Fuhrman, M.D Anyone

Options
Jeff92se
Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
It's been on PBS a few times. I understand that might appear commericalish. Trust me, I'm as skeptical as anyone here. But I f find it interesting from a nutrient / anti-oxident point of view. Not from just a calorie in / out view. More from the quality of food standpoint. I think it makes sense as it does advocate better eating. But I've found the viewpoint from which he makes that statement interesting. The weight loss is secondary to being healthier.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/Dr-Joel-Fuhrman/Incredible-Health-PBS/prweb8522237.htm

Not sure if you can get the gist from this link. I think you might have to watch him on PBS.

I also understand that he's selling something. So the commerical value to his point ins't lost on me either.

Legit? Full of BS?

Replies

• Jeff92se
    Options
    Anyone even seen this show on PBS?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Anyone could benefit from this philosophy.
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I recorded and watched the whole thing. I was very turned off by his salesman-like approach. He annoys me.

But............having said that, I think that the majority of what he said was right on. I think there is a lot of value and merit in his words and conclusions. I am not as excited about supplements as he seems to be, but the concept of phytonutrients and how they help the body sound reasonable. Personally, I tend to prefer the approach of Dr. McDougall, but I will be seeing both of them speak in February.
  • urbanmasala
    urbanmasala Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I recorded and watched the whole thing. I was very turned off by his salesman-like approach. He annoys me.

But............having said that, I think that the majority of what he said was right on. I think there is a lot of value and merit in his words and conclusions. I am not as excited about supplements as he seems to be, but the concept of phytonutrients and how they help the body sound reasonable. Personally, I tend to prefer the approach of Dr. McDougall, but I will be seeing both of them speak in February.

I agree with Pangui. I'm not annoyed by Dr. Fuhrman, perhaps because I always tune out the "sales pitch" component of any presenter of good information and just focus on and evaluate the information they are presenting. I've seen Dr. Fuhrman a few times on PBS and based on my research, the man definitely knows what he's talking about. I've recently adopted a mostly plant-based diet and it is working exceptionally well for me.

As for the supplements he recommends, I had forgotten all about those. I'm not big on supplements (with a few exceptions) anyway, so they don't really phase me. I focus more on meeting the majority of my nutritional needs by consuming whole foods.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    I didn't catch the supplement thing. Fish oil right? I don't think that's terrible.

When I started chaning my diet, I tried to have a salad for lunch or somewhere during the day. I was encouraged by his "make salad the main dish" statement. I also throw an apple in the salad to make it more filling.

It's sort of an alternative way of thinking vs the Twinkie diet view.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    I find his approach very different than what I see here. He bases his diet on micronutrient amounts.

Although I see very healthy eaters here, most here are basing their diets on calories in / calories out. Which on a weight loss site, isn't surprising.

I don't base my diet on micronutrient levels either. But by default, I'm eating better as better foods fill my calorie allotment for the day much better. ie.. I can eat more of it for the same calorie value.
  • shydal
    shydal Posts: 16
    Options
    *Bump*

I'm a novice nutrition nerd, and I think Dr. Fuhrman's philosophy is sound: you really can't go wrong by promoting greens and plant-based food.

While i've had some measure of success with mfp, I'm concerned that i'm allowing myself to gorge on food that is tasty but not nutritious- like the whole pizza i wolfed down after a 40 mile bike ride. Just because i'm staying under a caloric count doesn't mean i'm eating healthy.

So, today I'm going to buy his book Eat to Live and then set a "start date"... the question is, does it philosophically gel with mfp? While I think tracking calories may not be beneficial in the long-run for me, (i already struggle with accuracy, and don't know if caloric-counting will be a behaviour i'm willing to do in the long-run), I think that tracking food and weight and sure, how intensive a work out is could be beneficial.

Did y'all that responded follow-thru with eat-to-live? And if so, what are your thoughts?
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I did get to see Dr Fuhrman and Dr McDougall in person a couple weeks ago. They even had a lively, but friendly debate. They were both fantastic and their dietary recommendations are very similar. I try to take what I believe is the best of both philosophies. I eat my starches and whole grains to satisfy my hunger and I try to balance that out with as many vegetables as I can to get all those wonderful phytonutrients and antioxidants.

I also think that following a whole food plant-based diet is completely compatable with MFP. I did have to go in and change my individual nutrient goals so that my diet is 75% carbs (the healthy kind), 15% protein, and 10% fat. That's the beauty of MFP. It's completely customizable. I did learn that for now, I still need to track calories, because when I don't, I find myself overeating, even if it's just brown rice.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    I think the two are compatible as MFP is just calories in/out. How you fill those calories is up to you. But I'd be curious if someone exceeded the calorie allotment via eating how Fuhrman advocates and still lost weight.

But again, he's deal is the health of the person is #1, then comes the weight loss and it's benefits.
  • paulfields88
    Options
    I started Eat to live by Dr Joel Fuhrman 3 weeks ago 0n 10-22-2014.
    @ 285.4 Now at 274.
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Dr. Fuhrman gives great advice. I have been basically following his ideas for the last couple months and have lost about 17 pounds and have really enjoyed changing our food to be focused on nutrition. I think it's a great program. I am not following it strictly....still have coffee, alcohol and meats....but I try to do what he recommends by having four fruits a day, at least a cup of beans a day, and as close to two pounds of veggies a day as I can get. My husband and friends have found the diet to be great as well. You can't go wrong eating more plants!

Also, if you would like to learn about the medical research that supports many of the principles that Dr. Fuhrman is talking about, you can visit nutritionfacts.org great website with a wealth of info presented in a fairly easy to understand manner.
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    fyi...my diary is open so you can check out the things I have been eating....I am sure I would be losing weight faster if I followed Furhmans advice more precisely.