Which battle is more important to you

Options
Losing the weight or getting your head in line with the rest of your body.....
People say "you can't stick to losing weight until your head is in the right place"
Do you believe in this or does working on your weight bring your head into the right place?

It's a bit like the chicken and the egg?

Replies

• jessieleah
    jessieleah Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm still working on getting my mind in line with what's going on with the rest of my body, but that hasn't stopped me from losing 70 lbs so far. I think you can do both at once, but I also think losing the weight has helped my mental state to an extent already.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I do think it helps when you start to have your head in the right place, however, you WILL have days where your head is definitely NOT in the right place, you feel like quitting, you feel disgusted and tired of all the logging, you just want to eat whatever and however much you want without having to weigh it, etc. On those days you just have to do it anyway, and even if you don't, you just get up the next day and start logging and doing it right again. Because some people will fall off and just say oh well might as well just eat whatever now the rest of the day, week or whatever. It's about how we eat and exercise MOST of the time. If you are consistent and persistent most of the time you will get results. You just hope to have a lot more good days than bad because a lot of bad days will set you back. I used to try logging and then kind of just go off of my calorie limits here and there, and think it was okay, but it wasn't because my calories were consistently over the limit and that did me no good to do it halfway. I still have the philosophy of eating what I like, not depriving myself of anything and just planning for it, portioning it or whatever to fit it into my calories. I do try to limit the junk, don't get me wrong, but I don't ban it either.

In any case, yes I think you need to start with a positive mindset and then hopefully getting results will be the reinforcement you need most of the time to stick with it, even when you just don't feel like it.
  • Misslove36
    Misslove36 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Wow that's amazing. How do you get started losing the weight when you are also battling the mind?
    Please help I'm desperate
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you mean by "being in the right place". My brain isn't ever going to be in "the right place", even with medication. Is my brain in line with me losing weight? Most of the time, I can deal with wanting to eat all the time. Occasionally, I eat something totally pointless and over calories.

Because I'm a nitpicker, the egg came first. There have been creatures laying eggs long before the evolution of chickens. :P
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I am trying to follow my calorie goal and hoping my mindset will change with time. I can't wait until I have a better attitude about exercise or be more mindful of nutrition. I have noticed that many successful people here do have their eyes on overall fitness. I don't know if I will ever feel that way. I hope so.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Hang ou t with more positive people. You would be shocked how negative people can make you feel worse. Also I had to start looking at things and being a little more grateful and celebrate the small victories.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Acting as if helped me too,,,
  • Misslove36
    Misslove36 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, i have been waiting for my head to be in the right place, or have i been using that as an excuse
    I know i dont want to give up all the goodies that i have, but i also know that i want to lose weight...i also keep thinking that one day i will wake up and be the virtue of goodness and will from there on forward eat and drink only healthy stuff and exercise like the good girl i believe i will be!!!!!!!!!!!
    I will also get to have a couple of hours of bed wrestling with Ryan Reynolds hahahaha
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Battle of Hastings....
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Misslove36 wrote: »
    Thanks all, i have been waiting for my head to be in the right place, or have i been using that as an excuse
    I know i dont want to give up all the goodies that i have, but i also know that i want to lose weight...i also keep thinking that one day i will wake up and be the virtue of goodness and will from there on forward eat and drink only healthy stuff and exercise like the good girl i believe i will be!!!!!!!!!!!
    I will also get to have a couple of hours of bed wrestling with Ryan Reynolds hahahaha

You haven't been reading here long if you think you need to give up ALL of your "goodies."
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Each day as it comes.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Getting my head in line. I pretty much weigh half of what I used to and was crippled for a long time and working against myself because my brain thought i was huge and unlovable and kept trying to get me to hide by putting weight back on.

heck i still turn sideways to walk behind and around things that I am in no danger of bumping into.
  • ems212
    ems212 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I think the two go hand-in-hand. If your head is not in the right place, you aren't going to be nearly as successful as you are when it is. I've tried to lose weight before, but my head was never really in it until this time around. I was unsuccessful each time because my mind would make excuses for me...

"You don't have time to exercise...you have too many other things to deal with."
    "You don't have time to cook...fast food is more convenient."
    "You don't need to lose the weight as much as you'd like to...you're still healthy."

Now, my mind is on the same page as the rest of me. I'm not as healthy as I thought I was, I need to lose weight, and I need to make time for this journey of mine.
  • pirate_john_75
    pirate_john_75 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I think losing the weight happens when your head is in the right place. I've been going through a lot lately and am working on that part. It has been difficult because the stress leads to a lot of emotional eating. But I just have to keep reminding myself -- going to the gym is part of the therapy, too.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    Misslove36 wrote: »

Good for you for acknowledging that this is an excuse! Yes, you need the mental aspect of it, but don't just EXPECT it to be there consistently every day. Not going to happen. Make a plan regarding eating and exercising and stick to it. Don't stop and ask yourself beforehand, "Do I feel like eating this?" or "Do I feel like going to the gym?". If it's on your schedule you do it anyway, just like going to work, running errands, housecleaning, etc.

Also, dramaqueen45's post above is excellent!
  • trungalung
    Options
    Getting your head in the right place. The weight will start falling off once you have the willpower to drag yourself off the bed into the gym and saying no to that free cookie at work.

Mind over body.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I think you have to really want to lose weight - and you have to have a 'plan'. By 'plan' - I mean you have to have some idea of how to incorporate exercise into your life - and how to prepare and eat healthy meals that you enjoy - and will want to continue making (and eating). You have to understand that this 'process' takes time - and be willing to be in this for the long-haul (really - for life). This is a life-change- you have to realize it, accept it, and embrace it.
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I think it's an iterative process. You get your head in line - in some fashion - and that kicks off the weight loss efforts. But then at some point you get to where you can't improve any more physically without make some more changes mentally. Or else you fall off the wagon because something in the system was not quite in place and it got out of control. Then you get back on with your head a little bit closer to where it needs to be than it was last time.
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Battle of Hastings....
    I am totally geeking out that I know what you're referring to :smile:
This discussion has been closed.