how do I tell or make myself NOT HUNGRY

Options
My appeitite is crazy...its almost like I eat until my stomach hurts...im not super fat but for 5'8 180lbs I am seriously overweight...i was 159 5 years ago...and I havent changed what I have eaten. Only changing factor is my age 34 now instead of 29.

Replies

• wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    You might want to seek some professional advice concerning your relationship with food if you're eating until you are in pain. It doesn't sound like appetite because your brain stops receiving hunger signals once your stomach is full, after that you eat because your fulfilling some other need than for sustenance. You need to evaluate your interactions with food and what you're getting out of eating other than fulfilling your energy needs and then make some choices and decisions.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Also, you probably posted this in the wrong section.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Endure hunger, eating only the allotted amount on MFP, until your stomach shrinks. It took me about 3 months.
  • ltssharon
    ltssharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    For me it would be my relationship with food. I use ego state therapy.
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same issue so I totally understand. What helped me was making sure I drunk plenty of water. I actually write down how many ounces I want to drink and deduct as the day goes by. What was happening to me was that I was dehydrated and thought I was hungry....hence the eating until it hurts. Your body needs water more than likely so all the food in the world isnt helping that "emptiness" It sounds so simple and silly but it really did fix me! Good luck to you!!!
  • fansonly
    Options
    Stomachs actually don't shink.

Hormones make you hungry. Insulin & leptin resistance are strongly associated with a lot of abdominal fat. Google leptin resistance and see if it sounds like you.

http://wellnessmama.com/5356/fix-your-leptin/

I fixed mine by fasting, which was super hard. Once things got regulated though, my hunger became much more manageable.

• annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Eating lots of protein helps me with the 'I'm always hungry" s .....
    Try eating 1g of protein for every lb of lean body weight.....
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Drink water. Practice self control. Distract yourself, chew gum if you have to. You're not supposed to eat until you're uncomfortable or in pain. I did that my entire life and blimped to 410 lbs. I wish I had ended my bad relationship with food at 180 lbs, I'm lettin you know you should stop now before it gets worse. Use mfp, eat within your macros, eat foods that will keep you satisfied longer without hitting that stretched out uncomfortable feeling. Take it one day at a time.
  • kristimason3
    kristimason3 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water, force yourself to. Force yourself to eat a bunch of veggies before you allow yourself to eat anything else at meals. You can lose weight and still eat alot of food, just different foods. I have been curbing cravings by telling myself before I'm allowed to eat I've got to do x amount of squats or planks or push ups first or walk 30 minutes first. When done exercising I want the water more than the food. Or at least more water then less food because you won't want to waste all the effort you just put in. Make yourself a to do list for the day and every time you are about to over eat complete a task first. If it's mental then fight fire with fire. Has worked for me thus far. And don't beat yourself up if you over eat here and there. Everyone has their days. Small steps, small victories lead to long term changes. Change your thoughts and change your life
  • mrscronkhite
    Options
    I'm about the same weight, only I'm 5'4" and 35. When I was in my 20's I was between 125-145 lbs. I also ate til I was overly full & as long as I walked once in a while, I was fine. Amazing how you hit 30 and the metabolism comes to a halt!! I'm on day 9 now though and I'm determined. I keep a pic of myself nearby as a reminder. I also drink lots of water, especially with meals and if I'm still hungry after eating, I try to fill up on salad with fat free dressing or a soup made of veggies and chicken broth. I've made sure to exercise at least 4 days a week even if its just a walk. The further along I get, the less I want crappy food and the more I want to exercise cause it makes me feel better.
  • McBoffin
    McBoffin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the opposite. I'm 275 lbs and can't seem to eat enough since I've become aware of "what I'm putting in my mouth" (/ on my *kitten*) through MFP.

I never thought it'd happen to me .....
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    stacy983 wrote: »
    My appeitite is crazy...its almost like I eat until my stomach hurts...im not super fat but for 5'8 180lbs I am seriously overweight...i was 159 5 years ago...and I havent changed what I have eaten. Only changing factor is my age 34 now instead of 29.

I'd say more than your age changed... You're probably eating larger portions than you realize or your activity level has petered out. Aging doesn't mean you'll gain weight - that's a crappy myth that needs to die. My mother is 70+ and is in fantastic shape because she's active and doesn't overeat. And no it's not genes, otherwise I wouldn't be here and half of my family wouldn't be obese.

Do you track your food? Sharing your food diary might help us to give more constructive advice. Are you eating because you're actually hungry or because you're stressed or bored? The true test is usually what you're eating. Does an apple or sandwich sound appealling? No? Then you probably just want snack foods and are eating for emotional reasons. Once you figure out what your trigger is, it's a lot easier to get a hold of these behaviors. Some can do it on their own with some serious self examination and some require professional help. Good look whichever route you take.
  • kristimason3
    kristimason3 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    And substitute instead of going without. Instead of giving up bread find a lower calorie version like 45 calorie delightful. Eat turkey bacon in place of regular bacon, egg whites instead of whole eggs, low cal cheese instead of full fat. That way you won't feel so deprived and yet you would be amazed how many calories you can cut in a day eating the same amount of a different food.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    In addition to the great advice already given, also you might try stocking up on very low calorie foods so that you get more volume with fewer calories. Salads (measure your dressing!) and non-starchy veggies can sometimes give you a large bowl or plate full for just 100-200 calories. Think broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, winter squash, eggplant, tomatoes, etc. Load your plate with those and pick a good lean protein (white chicken, seafood, pork) and maybe cut back on the starches, as they're higher in calories for the volume. So maybe have whole grain breads, rice/pulses, potatoes, etc. just once a day, or every other day, instead of at every meal.
  • zenner22
    zenner22 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid of hunger, it comes in waves and if you just endure it for 15 minutes it will be gone. Of course, eat a healthy amount and don't starve yourself, but it's okay to feel hunger. I agree with those that recommend protein to make you feel full longer. Also, hot liquids like broth or tea or coffee are good to dink in between meals when you are hungry.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Endure hunger, eating only the allotted amount on MFP, until your stomach shrinks. It took me about 3 months.

My stomach shrank as well. I get full on a lot less now that I don't gorge myself at every meal.

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Being hungry really isn't the worst thing in the world. Try drinking a glass of water and then getting busy with something away from food...go outside, take a walk, whatever. Just get away from the kitchen and get involved in something. I bet you'll forget about being hungry.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    I ate Lentil Soup yesterday. Still feel full today. lol
  • LaCantressa
    LaCantressa Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you eat until you hurt, it may be that you are eating until you feel something. You may be out of touch with your physical body and its true signs of hunger and fullness. A lot of us suffer from this, especially if you experienced some sort of trauma that made you feel alienated from your body. So how to get back in touch with the signs that your body is really hungry or feeling satisfied/full? I find a really simple first step is to talk to your body. Before you eat, take a moment to check in with yourself, especially your tummy, and just ask it what it really wants at that moment. If the answer is food, then ask what food would make it feel really good/healthy. If the answer is not food, your body may be craving something like rest, relaxation, quiet, music, a walk, etc. Hope this helps.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    zenner22 wrote: »
    Don't be afraid of hunger, it comes in waves and if you just endure it for 15 minutes it will be gone. Of course, eat a healthy amount and don't starve yourself, but it's okay to feel hunger. I agree with those that recommend protein to make you feel full longer. Also, hot liquids like broth or tea or coffee are good to dink in between meals when you are hungry.

This. It's what I'm working on right now. I was told cravings would be uncomfortable--even painful--but they would subside if I just ride them out. It's true. I've got to start forcing myself to feel things (including hunger) instead of just numbing every negative feeling with junk food.