Please, I need help with three aspects of my life

Options
So I want to dedicate 3 days a week to the gym, an hour a day. But I'm a little lost on what i should do those three days.

1) Since I lost weight and got comfortable where I was I slipped and havent been sticking to it like i should. Now I gained back a little of the weight but more of a pain is I lost motivation. How do I get that back?

2) I really want a routine before entering the door. Do yall have any you would share or know where to get some?

3) I was running a lot the beginning of the year, completed 50 miles in one month and got burned out. I need some motivation to get running again, should I devote one or two of the 3 days to running or add it into my my gym days?

Thanks for any of your help!

Replies

• m16shane
    m16shane Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    By routine, I really would like to trim down and build some nice muscle
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about a personal trainer? Seems like they could provide motivation (as much anyone other than yourself can) and a routine.
  • m16shane
    Options
    I had a personal trainer a couple years ago, but financially I cant afford one now. My current gym requires a lengthy contract for trainers so having one for a short period isn't an option
  • McBoffin
    McBoffin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could just ask one of the trainers to sort you out with a programme? It's a fairly standard thing to ask for (and get) in the UK.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about a personal trainer? Seems like they could provide motivation (as much anyone other than yourself can) and a routine.
    agree.
    most good gyms will set up an induction to show correct use of equipment and help with goal setting.
    need more info re weight/age/goals before suggesting much more.
    i do core,strength training and full body cardio 1 hour+ daily.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Motivation only gets your started. It was cool for the first few weeks when I started working out...at that point, discipline had to take over. Now, it just happens. Put it on your schedule, and treat it as an appointment. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday are gym days. On my way home from work, I stop and workout. That's just how it is now.

For routines, check out a beginner's lifting routine: New Rules of Lifting, Stronglifts, and Starting Strength are commonly recommended.
  • A1Schendel
    Options
    upper body weights day one, day two lower body, warm up w/20 mins cardio of your choice, and a short core session like planks or floor crunches. Day three make a fun cardio day, 20 mins, bike/squats w/weights etc. on rest days, do yoga or hike something to break up the gym boredom.
  • WanderingBomb
    WanderingBomb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    this is what im starting with for a 3 day routine. it was put together for me by a personal trainer friend/coworker of mine.
    DAY 1:

 Bench Press - 3sets Reps 12, 10,6-8

 Incline Press – 3sets Reps 12, 10,6-8

 Lateral Pull Downs - 3sets Reps 12, 10,6-8

 Seated Row – 3sets Reps 10-12

 Stiff Arm Pull Downs - 3sets Reps 10-12

 Lower Back raises – 4sets Reps 12

 Dumbbell Fly’s – 3sets Reps 10

DAY 2:

 Squats – 4sets Reps 12, 10, 6-8

 Leg press – 3sets reps 15, 20, 20

 Lunges w/ weight- 3sets Reps 12, 10, 6-8

 Leg Extensions- 3sets Reps 8-12

 Leg Curls – 3sets Reps 8-12

 Standing calf raises – 3sets Reps 15-20

DAY 3:

 Seated Arnold Press – 3sets Reps 8-12

 Front dumb bell raises – 3sets Reps 12-15

 Side dumbbell raises – 3sets Reps 12-15

 Preacher bar curls – 2sets Reps 8-12

 Standing dumbbell curls - 3sets Reps 8-12

 Triceps cable pull downs - 3sets Reps 12-15

 Triceps dumbbell kick backs – 3sets Reps 12-15

*all weight is done with mild resistance increasing to comfort.

Remember to run AT LEAST 20min afterwards (stair master, incline treadmill or double

the time on elliptical), cardio can also be done 5 days out of the week. Try to start

drinking an isolate protein immediately after a workout to help speed up recovery and

LOTS of WATER
  • AquabearGO
    AquabearGO Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Before you start: Google "beginning weight training" for ideas on what and how to lift. You can also watch youtube videos on proper lifting techniques. Then google "HIIT". Finally google "5k runs in (your area), pick one at least 4 months from now, sign up for it. Now comes the fun............
    Day 1: Weight training, then 30 minutes HIIT on elliptical.
    Day 2: Training run for 5k.
    Day 3: Weight training, then 30 minutes HIIT on elliptical.

After 1 month, add a day of running.
    After 2 months, add a day of weight lifting, elliptical.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    JTick wrote: »
    Motivation only gets your started. It was cool for the first few weeks when I started working out...at that point, discipline had to take over. Now, it just happens. Put it on your schedule, and treat it as an appointment. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday are gym days. On my way home from work, I stop and workout. That's just how it is now.

For routines, check out a beginner's lifting routine: New Rules of Lifting, Stronglifts, and Starting Strength are commonly recommended.

Yup, that.
    I'm not always motivated to work out, but you just have to have the discipline to make yourself do it. If you have specific fitness goals, that's really the only way to make it happen. Make a schedule, and stick to it.

And as suggested above, there are some really good lifting programs out there that are free. I like Stronglifts because it's very simple to follow, but if lifting isn't necessarily your thing, I'm sure there are still lots to choose from. :)

• Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts, etc... are highly recommended on these boards for good reason; however, if your goal is aesthetics then they aren't going to give you the results you want. They are strength training programs for beginners, not bodybuilding programs for beginners. I find that most people do best when they have a little of both worlds since they obviously compliment each other. I would recommend something like this:

Monday: Squat-Work up to max set of 5 reps
    Front Squat-3x10
    Box Lunges 3x15...superset...Weighted Sit Ups 3x15

Wednesday: Bench Press- Work up to max set of 5 reps
    Incline Bench Press or Incline DB Bench Press-3x10
    DB Curls 3x15...superset...Skull Crushers 3x15

Friday: Deadlift- Work up to max set of 5 reps
    Stiff Leg Deadlifts- 3x10
    Barbell Rows 3x10...superset...Barbell Shrugs 3x20

Saturday:Overhead Press- Work up to max set of 5 reps
    DB Overhead Press- 3x10
    Pull Ups 3 sets...superset...3 Way Shoulder Raises 3x15

Then do HIIT on any 3 days of the week you choose. It could be your off days or you could do it after you lift. For HIIT, try to choose a movement that compliments your last lifting session. I.E. on deadlift day do kettlebell swings, on squat day do prowler pushes or sprints, on bench day hit a punching bag, etc...

I recommend this type of programming (or something very similar to it) to most of the people that I train because it seems to fix just about everyone's problems and develop a balance between building mass and building strength while maintaining conditioning. You would only need to differ from this greatly if you had a VERY specific goal in mind or were preparing for a competition of some sort.

• ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options

+1. Only you can motivate yourself (sorry, it's true). Google those routines.

I don't think 50 miles in a month is much at all... 2-3 miles per gym session?

• acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    m16shane wrote: »
    By routine, I really would like to trim down and build some nice muscle

Well you kind of have to pick one or other . . . muscle already has its shape and by slimming down more of that shape will appear, usually what people call "toning" but you can't tone muscles, you can grow them (bulk) but they don't tone.

That being said, it depends on how much you want to lose if you don't have much to lose lifting might be the way for you to go because by building you will be able to slim down and cut a bit away but if you have a lot to lose (like I do) then it might be more beneficial to start out with a cardio routine and when you get within a 10 - 20lb range of where you want to be then to start lifting.
  • m16shane
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »

+1. Only you can motivate yourself (sorry, it's true). Google those routines.

I don't think 50 miles in a month is much at all... 2-3 miles per gym session?

How is telling someone that you don't think what they did is much, helpful? I was over 300 pounds and after losing 100 lbs I was able to run a 5k. That was huge for me. And even worked myself up to running 10 miles in one run. To be exact I ran that 50 miles in 19 days as part of a Nike competition, and was really proud of myself. Tho after I got burned out. You don't know other peoples struggles or conditions. So what was the point of you saying that?
  • m16shane
    Options
    To all the others thank you for the useful advise, I really appreciate it! :)
  • Edie30
    Edie30 Posts: 216
    Options
    Yes mean advice is not helpful! Good onya :-) tommorrow is a brand new day brand new start and you can do anything you set your mind to. Dead set! See I sound like a proper aussie there! Maybe do the couch to 5 k again, or I found another called interval run that's pretty good and goes up to 10k. Runkeeper also has some programmes. Yep lift some weights. Go out and have fun. Brand new start whoop :-)