Doctor's orders: Eat more sodium!!! Favorite high-sodium ideas??

Options
2»

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Jerky.

Don't forget your potassium to balance out the sodium. In general, you want to eat more potassium than sodium, so try to get 2-3x as much potassium as you eat in sodium.

Bananas are your friend.

Frankly, all natural foods have a good amount of potassium (and sodium!). Most foods don't have potassium listed on the nutritional information, but it is there!

For example: One chicken breast (about 140 g) has 583 mg of potassium and 770 mg of sodium. That's a lot, and there's nothing added to it!

If the problem is low blood pressure, eating additional potassium could be a bad idea.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Cheeses
    Bacon, sausage, lunchmeats
    Salad dressings
    Soy sauce and other condiments
    Regular V8 vegetable juice
    Bread products
    Trail mix
    Salted butter
    Adding salt to recipes
    Olives, pickles
    Any processed food not labeled low sodium
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Instead of drinking gatorade, I add nuun tabs to bottles of water. Each tab has 360 mg Sodium / 100 mg Potassium / 25 mg Magnesium / 13 mg Calcium and less than 8 calories each with no sugar. I like the Lemon+Lime and the Strawberry Lemonade flavors.
  • biorobotics
    Options
    udon noodles are the one thing that gets me over my daily sodium.
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I really like the nuun idea...that looks interesting! I'm thinking about adding more microwave noodle stuff for lunch. Not super healthy, but it would be easy with my schedule and bump up sodium. Maybe cottage cheese for breakfast since many of my issues happen in the morning?

Also, I do recognize that I eat a lot of sugar (not TONS, but my sweet tooth is my weakness) and maybe replacing the sugar snacks for salty snacks would kill two birds with one stone.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    ramen noodles
  • ItsJordanNicole
    ItsJordanNicole Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    CHIPOTLE!!!!!!
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Ok I just took a peek at your diary. I am seeing on the days you log, aside from today, you tend to restrict to VLCD intake. If this is a true look at how you are eating there is more to this fainting than just salt intake. At sub 800 cals it is hate do get enough sodium let alone enough of any of the other needed nutrients. I hope it is just incomplete logging, be well.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    There's a woman around here who eats 10 cans of tuna a week. She says the sodium is high.