<<FRUSTRATED>>

Options
I have done so well the past 1 1/2 weeks... then all of the sudden the late nights at work get to me and I snap. Thursday to be specific... I had been staying somewhat late at work and all of the sudden I felt so overwhelmed that I stuffed my face with Chick-fil-a french fries and kit kat bars. Then, the next day I do even WORSE by eating 2 packages of candy and every sample item at Whole Foods. Today has not been much better. What is the matter with me?! Like I said I had done so well for 1 1/2 weeks, then caved one day and it's like my body is on hyper drive to catch up on all the bad eating I missed out on during the past 1 1/2 weeks.

I am just so frustrated I can hardly stand it. I just want to make a life change by eating well and exercising, but I can't seem to get it to stick... despite KNOWING how happy I'll be once I lose the weight. Sorry-- I just need to vent... any tips/advice are welcome at this point...

Replies

• talysshade
    talysshade Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel.. everytime i pick up chips or fries.. i think i really shouldn't because of how happy i'll be when i'm slim.. but i eat it anyway.

Whatever you do, don't stop yourself from eating these things completely, but limit it. Go back to healthy eating and plan a snack into your day, especially when you know you'll be late at night. Or try pretzles, light or baked chips or other slightly less unhealthy alternatives.
  • omusi
    omusi Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think , you shouldn't punish your self. I do the same thing but I told myself this time do it for you. I've only been at it for 3wks but I'm concentrating on speaking positive to myself. There are a lot of people on here that give great advice and I read it to motivate myself. Just forgive yourself and already affirm that no matter how many times you fall you'll get back up. Do it until your ups out weigh your falls. Just don't give up.
  • Kaldrmjolka
    Options
    You're human, remember that. Next time you crave, wait 5 minutes, usually the cravings pass. I know last night I was studying and I was like, "There's a whole bag of chocolates downstairs, I can just eat 2 and it won't matter...." I waited, drank some water, and soon forgot about it.

Maybe start carrying some protein heavy snacks with you, or some kind of snack you really love (like I LOVE 90 cal peanut butter and chocolate fiber bars, it's my new candy bar).

But don't beat yourself up over it. You're on a journey to changing your lifestyle, and theres going to be bumps in the road. If you stumble back it just makes you see your goals and want it even more! You can do this! Just don't eat fast food or chips every night, keep to good routines you have been doing, and a naughty day every once in awhile is alright! :)
  • winningat41
    Options
    You are exactly right - it IS your body screaming at you to eat all that junk. It misses it and will keep telling you it misses it - but only for the first couple of weeks. After that, those bad junk food cravings will be replaced for cravings of the nutrients your body is lacking.

Don't worry about what has already happened - it is in the past. Now just focus on today and the future - be prepared for those cravings and substitute that junk food for more nutritional choices. Instead of a Kit Kat bar, grab a protein bar. Those always help with my chocolate cravings and because they're high in protein, they stave off hunger for a long time. Instead of chips or fries, try some whole almonds. For every "bad" food item, there is always a better alternative.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't stop yourself from eating these things completely, but limit it. Go back to healthy eating and plan a snack into your day, especially when you know you'll be late at night. Or try pretzles, light or baked chips or other slightly less unhealthy alternatives.

Its kind of like once you have a unhealthy food, you've given yourself permission to keep eating like crap. Its important to keep in mind your brain gives you permission to succeed or fail. So once you've had a slip, stop - take a deep breath - and make the next thing you eat a healthy choice. You really have to stop and think about what you are choosing to put in your mouth. YOU HAVE CONTROL OVER IT...you just have to exercise that control. I know, easier said than done. But will power is like a muscle, the more you use it the stronger it gets.

I agree 100% with the above quote.... I don't deny myself anything (well except fettucini alfredo, that stuff will kill you!). Yesterday I had nutter butters, today my husband brought me a cheese danish. However, I am careful about portion control and I build the calories into my day.

I exercise a lot so I can eat more. Usually eat between 2000 and 2300 calories a day (today I exercised alot so can eat 2800 calories!!!) --so if you exercise you get to eat more and you definitely should eat your exercise calories back because you'll end up binging. I know for me if I don't eat the calories after a couple days I'll eat anything I can get my hands on, its like my body is saying hey.. you're not feeding me enough so I'm going to take what I can get.

I'm also a nighttime snacker, so I eat the bulk of my calories after 6pm:

6pm - cup of tea with peanut butter bagel thin & banana

7pm - apple

Between 8 & 9:30 pm dinner

Before bed (usually 11:00 or 11:30 pm) skim milk with a 100 calorie snack pack

And honestly if I feel hungry between dinner and the bedtime snack, I'll have another piece of fruit - mango, cantelope, grapes... I always have tons of fruit in the house!

Drink lots of water too!

Good luck! YOU CAN DO THIS.... 85% of this change of lifestyle is in the head! Gotta change the thinking to change the bod!
  • crystalslight
    crystalslight Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I relate. I had a eating day like that yesterday. Just try to eat better the next day. And like others have said don't beat yourself up over it. It'll get easier. When I was at my healthiest, I remember thinking "NOTHING tastes as GOOD as this feels". The more weight you lose the healthier you eat, yor body will start to crave it. You'll feel so good that those foods won't even tempt you. You can do it! Good luck
  • kkellam1
    kkellam1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I kind of disagree some of this advice. I know for me, I had to eliminate this type of food entirely. I don't know your situation but I have a lot of weight to lose and some blood tests to get back in line. So making progress was the key. I feel like if I truly want to make progress, I need to keep the fries and candy, etc out of my life. I replaced all the crap with things that are good for me. Sure it took a couple of weeks to get past the desire for that stuff, but it passes. By making the healthy things just as available or even more available than the crap, you aren't in a spot where you need to make that bad choice. I agree with having the healthy snacks available, so you can cut the munchie cravies with something healthy. Now when I get hungry, I suprise myself by thinking about apples or pretzels.

That's also why I recommend logging everything right before you eat it. For me, that pause has helped me stop and think about the decision. Is it the right food? Does it fit into my calorie limit? I tend to use the word limit rather than goal because it's not something I TRY to achieve. It's something that I do not allow myself to exceed. Just a different mindset, but it's what works for me.

Of course, this is only what works for me. You may be in better shape than me or have completely different goals.