Butter Lover

Options
I am looking for a butter substitute that tastes good. I love the taste of real butter but really need to find something worthy to substitute it. What are your favorites?

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Why not just use butter? I don't think there really is a replacement worth mentioning to be honest.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    butter.jpg

Just kidding. Eat smaller amounts of regular butter. The rest is just nasty.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I am looking for a butter substitute that tastes good. I love the taste of real butter but really need to find something worthy to substitute it. What are your favorites?

PlugraButter.jpg
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What is it for? For cooking I often just use spray olive oil. It's got as many calories per gram, but it's easier to control the amount. But if the butter taste is needed, I just use butter. Usually less than I used to, but there are no substitutes and butter is fine--just high in calories because it's fat.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lt9f66yMjZ1qf0051.gif
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    tumblr_lt9f66yMjZ1qf0051.gif

This made me nearly pee myself... :D
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    5070.gif
  • marshalljenn12
    marshalljenn12 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    What is it for? For cooking I often just use spray olive oil. It's got as many calories per gram, but it's easier to control the amount. But if the butter taste is needed, I just use butter. Usually less than I used to, but there are no substitutes and butter is fine--just high in calories because it's fat.
    I am looking for something instead of butter to put on my steamed vegetables, brown rice, etc.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Another vote for just sticking with butter, but using less of it. None of the substitutes taste as good or are as satisfying, and many of them are very unhealthy (hydrogenated oils, trans fats, etc).

You could also experiment with toppings like parmesan cheese, yogurt, or "dry" toppings like herbs and spices, if you want some variety.

• thatswhatshesaiddd
    Options
    Butter is my favorite food! Why do you need a substitute? Get a grass-fed version, and use it in your daily calories. Some saturated fat won't hurt you, and new studies are showing it might even be beneficial in lots of ways.
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    What they all said.. stick to butter but use less of it. I like Parmesan cheese on stuff too.. doesn't take much to up the taste.
  • LovelyLisa1000
    LovelyLisa1000 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I love butter on everything, but its just so many calories. Please let me know if you find something because i'd be willing to try it.
  • Christieson
    Christieson Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm also on the butter band wagon. It isn't unhealthy. Just try not to live on it!!
  • KetoFairy
    KetoFairy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Eat the butter. It's not the butter that makes us fat. It's the carbs. BTW, do you know that margarine is just one step away from plastic?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I am looking for something instead of butter to put on my steamed vegetables, brown rice, etc.

Yeah, for this I'd try just using less or maybe substituting parmesan or feta cheese which has a lot of taste for not that many calories if you like the taste (I love it).

Also, if you really want to cut calories, I roast vegetables more often than steam them and I don't think they need anything more when cooked that way. Maybe try vinegar, also, or soy sauce if you don't mind sodium.
  • josul75
    josul75 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    There simply is no substitute for butter. As others have said, just ration it a bit. It's a pure food product and not a mish mash of fake ingredients.

Saying that, I do use substitutes when a large amount is needed for something, though. For example, when I'm making mashed potatoes, I replace butter for extra light Philadelphia soft cheese (do you use that in the US?) add a few fresh chives and it's a delicious substitute.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Land O' Lakes has a "light" spreadable butter that is half butter and half canola oil and tastes pretty good. It's about the closest I've come to the taste of true butter for toast and things like that. It's about half the calories.