NSV: Unexpected side effect of Ketosis

Options
yaryrosa
yaryrosa Posts: 65 Member
So, I've officially been on ketosis for five weeks, and the most unexpected thing has happened: I feel happy!!! Depression? GONE Anxiety? GONE!!! PMS bad moods? GONE!!!. My days look brighter and my future so much merrier. Yes, I've lost 11 pounds, but c'mon! I'd lost weight before and never had this extreme happiness come to me this instantly with any other diet. Nothing else has changed in my life. Just the diet. Some people say these type of extreme diets are not sustainable in the long run, but I can be really honest when I say I do see myself eating this way the rest of my life!!!

PS: I'm 4'11'' so 11 lbs is quite a lot for me.

OK, now: haters! Proceed! Lol

Replies

• raysputin
    raysputin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Congrats.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's fantastic! I'm only 2 inches taller than you so I understand exactly how significant 11 pounds is. :)

I guess no carbs works in the best possible way for you! :)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Congrats on finding something that works for you.
  • chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Ketosis can cause feelings of euphoria. I was high as a kite on that diet. Now I'm just regular high IIFYM style. Congrats on your weight loss btw!! Keep it up!
  • yaryrosa
    Options
    Oh, I eat carbs in all my meals. They just come from non-starchy veggies!
  • stjanki
    Options
    Are you eating a lot of meat?
    That explains the happiness. Meat is awesome :)
  • yaryrosa
    Options
    Actually, no. I'm doing LCHF, so it's moderate protein. I'm averaging between 60-80 g of protein daily, or about 30% of my calories. That's only average, I eat only when I'm hungry, and until I feel satiated, so I end up eating more some days than other...
  • yaryrosa
    Options
    But, yeah. Meat is awesome ;)
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    :o
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Congrats. desismileys_3236.gif I suffered from depression for a long time. Anti-depressants were crap and didn't work. I did keto, and the depression is gone. It happened pretty quickly.
  • KetoFairy
    KetoFairy Posts: 8 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Congratulations yaryrosa! I can totally relate. I am in the same space, having gone from 93.7Kg last Christmas (I know, I know..) to 81.1kg this morning. The first big chunk went with Cohens, until I got sick in May, had trouble getting on the wagon again after that, and then lost Mum at the end of August. A few weeks ago I switched to LCHF and I sure can feel the difference. This time last year I was miserable, suffered depression and was generally miserable. This year, it's like I'm a new person, I feel happy, vital and energetic all the time. I still have a long way to go, but by golly it's a darn sight easier than anything I've tried before. Rockin' The Happy here!

BTW, I'm a shorty too. 4'11" + 3/4! Damn I'm proud of those 3/4!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Congrats on finding something that works for you.

+1
    That's what it's all about.
  • yaryrosa
    Options
    Thank you!
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    That's fascinating. I hadn't heard it before. Though i have heard people talking about having more energy and also people doing the 5:2 fasting diet having the same effect.

When i did low carb (for six weeks), i felt good but then i've been feeling pretty good all year just by being on a diet.

I certainly think that eating better food in general makes you feel a lot better.

How many grams of carbs a day are you eating?
  • yaryrosa
    Options
    Usually around 20 to 25g total, not net. Mostly from veggies. I feel great! I have the energy thing, and barely get hungry, get full really fast as long as I have my fats.
  • watto1980
    watto1980 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Interesting results. It must be nice to find something that works so well for you.

I don't have depression or anxiety but when I tried going low carb, some time ago now, it actually gave me anxiety for some reason. I felt terrible and couldn't stay on the diet for very long.
  • Solar_Cat
    Solar_Cat Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    watto1980 wrote: »
    Interesting results. It must be nice to find something that works so well for you.

I don't have depression or anxiety but when I tried going low carb, some time ago now, it actually gave me anxiety for some reason. I felt terrible and couldn't stay on the diet for very long.
    Me too. It made me fidgety and cranky. Isn't it interesting how different bodies respond so differently? I'm increasingly skeptical of one-size-fits-all formulas, not only in this but in every aspect of life.
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    thumbsupcat.gif
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Congrats - 11 lbs in 5 weeks is awesome! As long as you feel good - you know your body better than anyone - stick with what works!

20757594.png
  • rainbowblu
    rainbowblu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Solar_Cat wrote: »
    watto1980 wrote: »

Me too. It made me fidgety and cranky. Isn't it interesting how different bodies respond so differently? I'm increasingly skeptical of one-size-fits-all formulas, not only in this but in every aspect of life.

I felt awful for about 10 days, then my skin started looking AMAZING so I kept it up...my mood got way better during week 2.

CONGRATS OP!!!!!!!

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!