If every day were like today... is this accurate for anyone??

Options
Hilary1471
Hilary1471 Posts: 15
edited October 2014 in Motivation and Support
I have been on a rollercoaster of weight up and downs from the middle of August big hikes particularly the week before my period up to 5kg gain which really scares me that I haven't made progress. I am trying not to be too pedantic ,although I do under estimate exercise in the hope I will get a nice surprise on the monday weigh in every night before bed when I log in my last snack and exercise I see a figure that never corresponds with my actual loss especially around this time. Does anyone elses hit spot on? :#

Replies

• funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Ignore that thing. It's meant to be encouraging to newbies.
    Hilary1471 wrote: »
    hope I will get a nice surprise on the monday weigh in every night before bed

The worst time to weigh in is right before going to bed. If you drink the recommended amount of water, that's almost 2 kg (4 lbs) daily. Then there is what has been accumulating in your bowels and bladder, what the body has been taking because of muscle building -- and even all that would be fine if every day was like every other day, but it's not. Look at your sodium report and how dramatically it swings!

Instead of Monday night, how about Tuesday mornings after you've done your morning bathroom routine and before you get dressed. I think you'll find those readings more consistent.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    In the 5 months I've been here, its never come close to being accurate. IGNORE it
  • kaseasteele
    kaseasteele Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Not accurate at all for me.
  • PeetzaBrian
    PeetzaBrian Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    No.
    I know that scale can be discouraging but you have to learn to disregard it or at the very least see it as a general trend rather than a measure of success. If you know you're doing the right thing(s) then you know your body will do the right things too.

For instance, I will gain up to 7lbs (3+kg) in the days after a hard (for me) run. It's water weight and my body is using it to repair and rebuild muscles. A few days later and it's gone.

I've been running pretty hard for the last 3 weeks and my weight loss has been very low.... about 4 pounds, where I was losing 2.5-4lbs per week... but I can SEE myself getting skinnier. I'm adding muscle and that means there's water there too.

Going by the scale alone is like trying to describe a car by only it's gas mileage.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    funchords wrote: »
    Ignore that thing. It's meant to be encouraging to newbies.
    Hilary1471 wrote: »
    hope I will get a nice surprise on the monday weigh in every night before bed

The worst time to weigh in is right before going to bed. If you drink the recommended amount of water, that's almost 2 kg (4 lbs) daily. Then there is what has been accumulating in your bowels and bladder, what the body has been taking because of muscle building -- and even all that would be fine if every day was like every other day, but it's not. Look at your sodium report and how dramatically it swings!

Instead of Monday night, how about Tuesday mornings after you've done your morning bathroom routine and before you get dressed. I think you'll find those readings more consistent.

I weigh at night. I want to be at my goal weight when I'm out and about and eating dinner.
  • Hilary1471
    Options
    Thanks for responding everyone, reassuring to know I'm not the only one who's doesn't tally up...about the sodium I do think that has a big impact on me even though I do use the lower brand in any cooking etc. I get very , very thirsty and have been to the doctor for low blood pressure in the past... I would be a bit of a fainter...So I drink well over the 2l recommended water, but not just water tea and coffee.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    It may not seem like it to many, but for me, my health is my number one priority. With it, I can do more of everything, without it, almost nothing else is possible. Like one poster said, make health a Big Rock. I have a very demanding job, a family and I'm a competitive Bodybuilder. What I give up is sleep. I function on about 6 (or less) hrs a day. Now some may argue that sleep is equal to working out when it comes to health but for me, that isn't true. The more fit I am, the less sleep I need. I then put working out as the first thing I do in the morning (except to have breakfast). That way nothing else impedes on my workouts.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    not accurate. if i have identical days, it can give me upwards of a 5 lb difference in estimating "5 weeks from now"
  • hararayne
    hararayne Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    It hasn't been accurate for me. I think the best thing is to pick one Time a week, stick to it and also take measurements of your waist etc. Sometimes you lose inches and not lbs. Your body will reconstitute itself especially if your exercising. Body fat percentage its more important than weight or bmi
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    According to mine, I should have hit onederland a month ago.
  • spent808
    Options
    I'm going to loose 8 stone in 5 weeks!! whoohoo! (wtf?)
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Nope, and yet I still like seeing it...
  • kmariet7
    kmariet7 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Nope not accurate here either....
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Ha! That thing is stupid. :grumble:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    nope.

mine told me that if everyday were like yesterday, i would weigh 45 pounds in 5 weeks.
  • southheadstef
    southheadstef Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It actually depresses me, because I see a weight that I still think is too heavy in 5 weeks time... Oh, the dreary wait!
  • justinkeeton0013
    justinkeeton0013 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I dont really understamd that thing. If I forgot to log the water for the day and add it after Ive already finished my lof for the day it can be a 6 pound difference. I just use it as an added guage for whether I need to change something tomorrow.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    it's a worthless and overly simplistic formula...not everyday is going to be exactly the same...you're not going to have exactly the same calories coming in and you're not going to have exactly the same energy being expended every day.

think about it logically....
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    no.ignore it.

after a year i dont even notice it anymore lol
  • justinkeeton0013
    justinkeeton0013 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just meant water will throw it off