ideas for cottage cheese?

Options
buffing up my protein, so cottage cheese has become a daily staple. i usually mix it with berries, or just cinnamon or cocoa, or flavoured greek yogurt. what are some exciting ways i can use cottage cheese, maybe as something other than for breakfast?

Replies

• peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I put one of those tuna packs in with mine, and mix it with a little pepper.
  • biorobotics
    Options
    i'm vegetarian.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I add a 1/2 oz. of those wasabi/soy sauce almonds to a 4 oz. container of cottage cheese for my afternoon snack.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    I tend to prefer my cottage cheese savory, rather than sweet. I often just eat it by itself, possibly with a little fresh ground pepper, or a garlic-herb spice blend. Sometimes I'll toss in some sliced cucumbers (either fresh cukes or cukes that have been in a vinegar/water solution for a few days) -- dill is good with that combination, or black pepper.

I sometimes mix it with tomato/marinara sauce on pasta (I started it as a way to get my fix when craving something like manicotti or lasagna, with the cottage cheese standing in for ricotta, and no baking required).

Recently I mixed a good bit of buffalo-flavor Tabasco sauce with my cottage cheese and dipped celery in it, and I really liked it -- you could add blue cheese if you like it. And your favorite faux chicken if you want.

Or toss it in a salad (better with a sturdy, crisp leaf like romaine or iceberg) with your favorite beans and crunchy veggies.

If you like "mix-ins" for your cottage cheese, you might try nuts (pistachios or cashews would be good) or seeds (e.g., sunflower, pumpkin, chia). Or it might be a good place to try PB2 (or whatever brand of defatted peanut meal you prefer).
  • laban1ca
    laban1ca Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of any of these suggestions before. Maybe I'm lame but I eat it by itself.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I can't stand cottage cheese unless it is in lasagna - my mom always made it that way subbing the cottage cheese for ricotta. It gives it a much saucier texture...

• redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Handful of cashew nuts and a TBS of franks redhot sauce.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I do it with either 30 g. (I weigh all my food :) ) of sunflower seeds or salsa. I usually have this as my before bed, hi-protein snack. If I have the calories left in my day, I may chop a few black olives in with the salsa. YUM!
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I do it with either 30 g. (I weigh all my food :) ) of sunflower seeds or salsa. I usually have this as my before bed, hi-protein snack. If I have the calories left in my day, I may chop a few black olives in with the salsa. YUM!

I never thought of adding Salsa. Thanks for the tip!

• Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I put it on pasta, or mix it into salad. I adore eating it on potato chips, but potato chips are no longer something that is in the house with any regularity! That's vacation food for me. :)

When I make lasagna, I use half cottage cheese and half ricotta for the cheese filling. So I still get the yummy, delicate ricotta flavor with the more pleasant texture of some cottage cheese. Plus cottage cheese costs less.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Just got some Hemp Hearts and they are very nutty...I'm going to try some in my cottage cheese tonight. They are soft but taste like sunflower seeds with 10 Grams of PROTEIN! If you're looking to up protein intake, then you might want to try some of these little gems.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Mixed into lasagna is great- mixed into many Italian dishes is cool.

I like mine with peaches. MIT I have a salad, I often have cottage cheese with it. I eat plain a lot, though. :)
  • ljones27uk
    ljones27uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I throw In prawns and tomato ketchup. Lovely
  • raysputin
    raysputin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Stir one sachet of lo-cal jelly crystals into 500gms lo-fat cottage cheese. Good desert or cheesecake filling.

Or stir in thousand island dressing and sweet chilli dressing for a dip.
  • stjanki
    Options
    Mix it with salsa
  • v_woolf
    v_woolf Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This page has a lot of great ideas and has helped me: http://www.stumptuous.com/the-cottage-cheese-page

I'm also totally obsessed with this casserole right now: http://whatscookinwithmary.blogspot.ca/2012/09/moms-spinach-casserole.html

I make it with one cup (uncooked) rice. Divided into 6 portions, it's 24 grams of protein and ~370 calories per portion.
    0067808 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hate cottage cheese - best idea I can give you is to bin it - don't even open the tub or you might barf......
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    layer it in your lasagna

Eat it plain with soy sauce

Put it in your pancake or muffin batter

Put it in your omelet
  • theskipper54
    theskipper54 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese. I drizzle raw honey over it and sprinkle cinnamon on it. Makes a great snack to kill the late night cereal cravings. B)
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese, a little vanilla extract, cinnamon, a few dried cranraisins, and a chopped apple