Sodium and canned tuna

Options
indianwin2001
indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
edited November 2014 in Food and Nutrition
I love canned tuna-(has to be bumble bee) :) .My question is will rinsing the tuna with water before eating get rid of some of the sodium?

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical reason to be concerned with your sodium intake? Unless you have high blood pressure, then there's not reason to worry about it.
  • indianwin2001
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    Do you have a medical reason to be concerned with your sodium intake? Unless you have high blood pressure, then there's not reason to worry about it.

I take medicine for HBP but its well under control but I still am 1500 over on sodium every day so I am concerned
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Can't you just buy the stuff in springwater?
  • indianwin2001
    Options
    Can't you just buy the stuff in springwater?

I do buy it in water--still high in sodium
  • mbailey423
    mbailey423 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have HBP and there are very good ultra low sodium tuna out there. I buy Starkist selects very low sodium ( gold can) 35mg/serving. 2 servings per can. Very very good stuff available at all grocery stores.....
  • indianwin2001
    Options
    mbailey423 wrote: »
    I have HBP and there are very good ultra low sodium tuna out there. I buy Starkist selects very low sodium ( gold can) 35mg/serving. 2 servings per can. Very very good stuff available at all grocery stores.....
    Thanks--I will try it
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    No. Screw the sodium. It's the mercury you should be worried about. http://seaturtles.org/programs/mercury/?list=type&type=75
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I do buy it in water--still high in sodium

Oh, well, no rinsing it won't help - the stuff in springwater has already been water treated. To get lower sodium you'll have to source actual low sodium tuna as suggested above. It will have been processed to remove extra sodium. Fact is, tuna has sodium in it naturally, comes from being contained in a salt-water environment all it's life.

• mbailey423
    Options
    Read the CDC report on mercury in canned tuna. Cliff notes version is that a 200 lb man can safely eat 3 to 5 cans of chunk light tuna per week .
  • indianwin2001
    Options
    Read the CDC report on mercury in canned tuna. Cliff notes version is that a 200 lb man can safely eat 3 to 5 cans of chunk light tuna per week .

I eat between 5 and 10 cans a week. Have been doing that for over 40 years. I'm still here,so I don't think I'll lose sleep over my mercury levels tonite
  • indianwin2001
    edited November 2014
    Options

I eat between 5 and 10 cans a week. Have been doing that for over 40 years. I'm still here,so I don't think I'll lose sleep over my mercury levels tonite
    -Oh and I only eat white ,not light

• mbailey423
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm an avid saltwater fisherman and I try to keep up with things like this. What I can tell you is that the highest amounts methyl mercury is found in bay type fish, think flounder, seaBass stripes bass etc due to fresh water runoff from streams and rivers. Most ocean fish have lower amounts, but still contain it.

Id be more worried about breathing the air than the mercury in tuna.
  • shifterbrainz
    shifterbrainz Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    8 replys, 1 actually answers OP's question. Interesting, but soaking the tuna in more water should remove more sodium in theory. How long it takes and how much sodium is removed per water volume is another question.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options

-Oh and I only eat white ,not light

White (Albacore) tuna has higher mercury levels than chunk light. IMHO, canned salmon (the skinless / boneless stuff in the little tuna cans) tastes about the same as chunk light (and has about the same sodium content, but a bit higher fat) but quite a bit lower in mercury.

Personally, my favorite canned fish is the salmon in the big cans that still has the bones and skin -- it's not nearly as dry as boneless / skinless, and has far better flavor. But I digress...
  • Natasha_Fit_Fab
    Natasha_Fit_Fab Posts: 93 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I know you said tuna and brand bumblebee...but if you like canned salmon, they have no salt added canned salmon at Trader Joes...I believe the sodium is 60mg and Chicken of the Sea canned tuna has a reduced sodium I believe 90 mg...as I am watching my sodium also?
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Can you lower the sodium in other areas to make room for the tuna?

If your blood pressure is under control with your regular diet, then it's probably not worth worrying too much about.
  • mbailey423
    edited November 2014
    Options
  • indianwin2001
    Options
    I know you said tuna and brand bumblebee...but if you like canned salmon, they have no salt added canned salmon at Trader Joes...I believe the sodium is 60mg and Chicken of the Sea canned tuna has a reduced sodium I believe 90 mg...as I am watching my sodium also?

Thanks Natasha
  • indianwin2001
    Options
    Can you lower the sodium in other areas to make room for the tuna?

If your blood pressure is under control with your regular diet, then it's probably not worth worrying too much about.

Thanks--My BP is good but I take 3 meds for it so I do get concerned and it seems the foods I eat are all high in sodium which I never realized until I started logging. At least MFP made me aware of it
  • indianwin2001
    Options
    8 replys, 1 actually answers OP's question. Interesting, but soaking the tuna in more water should remove more sodium in theory. How long it takes and how much sodium is removed per water volume is another question.

I know-I never said nor am I concerned with mercury.