What will happen if i don't get a 12 hour fast in-between the night and breakfast the next day?

Options
Sammi_Nicole16
Sammi_Nicole16 Posts: 62 Member
edited November 2014 in Food and Nutrition
I've heard it's beneficial to get a 12 hour fast in between the last thing you eat at night and breakfast the next day. For example, if the last thing you eat as at 8pm, you should wait until 8 am for breakfast the next day. Is there anything beneficial to your nutrition if you do this? And will anything happen if you don't?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat whenever you want. Eat below your calorie goal.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Whoever told you that is unfortunately incorrect. Current science supports meal timing having no impact on weight loss/gain/maintenance...with the caveat that for some, meal timing can influence satiety and therefore the total amount that we eat.

For example, many people practice intermittent fasting. There are several different programs, but as an example, one might fast for 16 hours (including when they sleep) and eat all of their calories within 8 hours. Some find that this helps them rein in eating. Others would find this intolerable and the delay in eating would send them into a binge.

Others might find that eating breakfast and many small meals or snacks throughout the day, including right before bed, helps them to eat fewer total calories.

Personally, I delay eating until I'm actually hungry, usually around 1 or 2 p.m. If I eat breakfast anyway, then I get hungry sooner and end up eating more.

Do what works for you.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I am the same as snuggle smacks. Breakfast makes me hungrier so I eat dinner and then have lunch around 11.30am.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant to weight loss. Eat when you're hungry.
  • gizmo_2014
    Options
    Eat when you are hungry. Don't look at the clock to tell you when you should eat. Timing of meals has no effect on weight loss.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Generally the intermittent fasting protocol is 16 hours, some take that out even longer. You would be best to read and do some research.
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I don't think it really matters.
  • ems212
    ems212 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I think the main reason people suggest a nighttime fast of a certain amount of time is related to the fact that you shouldn't eat (a meal) close to bed time. Personally, I eat between 7 and 7:30, at noon, and between 5-6. Every once in a while, I'll eat dinner later, but those are just the times I typically eat. A nighttime fast isn't going to help or hurt you in the long run as long as you are eating right and drinking plenty of water.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Calories can't tell time. Eat whenever works best for you.
  • entwife
    entwife Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You should look up the 5:2 diet (Michael Mosley) or intermittent fasting, where you restrict calories 2 days out of 7. Window fasting is another one, where you eat within an 8 hour window and fast for 16 hours daily. Nutritionally, weekly calories average out at about 1500 per day so you are not starving yourself, but the results of studies show benefits for slimming and general health that you don't get with dieting 7 days a week.

So I would definitely say that a 12 hour fast daily will not hurt you in the least and there is definitely science there to back it up! At the end of the day the best diet is one that you stick to so do what works for you.
  • earth_echo
    earth_echo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    The body goes into repair-mode during periods of fasting. It's a lot like building muscle. To gain muscle you have to damage it first. Fasting also puts the body under stress and it responds very positively (body focuses on cell repair instead of cell production). Did you know that life expectancy *increased* by over 6 years during the Great Depression? True story. Going without food sometimes is good for your health! There's a good YouTube vid about aging and fasting. Search for "eat fast and live longer with Michael Mosley".
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Earth_echo 100 % agree with you there. I've been researching intermittent fasting for over 2 years and the health benefits are wonderful!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    You will probably turn into a pumpkin...
  • nuvimi
    nuvimi Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    earth_echo wrote: »
    The body goes into repair-mode during periods of fasting. It's a lot like building muscle. To gain muscle you have to damage it first. Fasting also puts the body under stress and it responds very positively (body focuses on cell repair instead of cell production). Did you know that life expectancy *increased* by over 6 years during the Great Depression? True story. Going without food sometimes is good for your health! There's a good YouTube vid about aging and fasting. Search for "eat fast and live longer with Michael Mosley".

Uh...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    When your body isn't busy digesting food it can put all it's energy into fixing/healing/regenerating other parts of your body.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You will probably turn into a pumpkin...

Do you have a scientific study to back up this claim? :p Ha-ha!
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    earth_echo wrote: »
    People lived longer during the Great Depression because they were practicing intermittent fasting? People lived longer at that time because they didn't have stressful jobs. Wait, maybe that's not quite true, either. Correlation != causation.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Actually, the information regarding life span during the Great Depression is technically true, but misleading. Life span increased by 6.2 years above what it was prior to the Great Depression. So, "life expectancy rose from 57.1 in 1929 to 63.3 years in 1932." That's nowhere near our current lifespan of 78.7 years as of 2013. The increase during the Great Depression is usually marked up to less work-related stress and accidents, as fewer people were being hired and trained and there was less work to do. Also, more sleep since there was more time to sleep.