Favorite Kimchi Brand?

Options
Anyone got any out there? I've tried a bunch but still haven't found a fav.

Replies

• jammerg55
    Options
    Wish I could help here, I can't handle lots of spicy foods.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I make my own.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I like homemade but if I buy it, it's this one at the Korean market...don't know what it says
    20110304-kimchi-taste-test-tobagi.jpg
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I make own too. Or you can repair store bought to a degree by adding more spices and or leave it in room temp to sour more if necessary. If it's too salty can add a bit of daikon to freshen it up.

If you search for kimchi in threads here, I posted a full noob friendly recipe somewhere...if you're in abstinence.

I wolfed down 200g today!
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    After watching the Korean drama 'Kimchi Family' (aka Fermentation Family - wonder why that name didn't stick??) we got 'The Kimchi Cookbook'. It has great instructions for beginners and we've made two batches so far. Friends joined in making the second batch because they said it was better than any that they've bought.

I don't like really spicy food so I was a bit shy of it. When you make it yourself you can adjust the heat, but Korean red pepper is milder. We used MegaChef fish sauce (no MSG). It sits on the counter for 3 days and then put in smaller jars to sit in the fridge. It mellows as the weeks pass. Tonight was Kimchi Fried Rice - it's so yummy!!

I make hobbang now too - they are the steamed red bean paste buns.
  • jfritschie87
    Options
    I live in South Korea. I freaking LOVE kimchi!! Fortunately for me, I get to buy it fresh from the outdoor Korean market twice a week. I heard it helps in aiding in digestion and keeping off fat :)
  • jfritschie87
    Options
    oh yeah, cucumber kimchi is my favorite and super easy to make at home. There are a lot of good recipes online for cucumber kimchi too
  • chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    My favorite is the Sinto radish kimchee. What we have now is Genuine Grub (ok, but I prefer the cubed radish of Sinto) and King's (I haven't tried that one yet).