Sometimes you have to do it

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
edited November 2014 in Chit-Chat
After training my client this morning, a regular member who is well liked and popular at our gym thanked me. Not because I trained him or because I gave him exercise advice, but because I alerted him of a problem he wasn't aware of.......................bad breath. Lots of other members had mentioned how pleasant he was, but man his breath could stop a bull dead from charging.
I took it upon myself to tell him "I just wanted to let you know that you may have a problem you're unaware of and I'm checking to see if you're fine." He asked what it was and I told him "Your breath isn't the best and it may be stemming from something else other than regular oral hygiene." He confessed that he hadn't been to the dentist in over 10 years. I mentioned that gingivitis and periodontal disease may be the issue.
He ended up going to the dentist last week and was notified he was in the early stages of periodontal disease. The dentist had told him that it was good he was alerted and that sometimes it ends up being too late for some because no one wants to tell the them. He's had to pull teeth and replace them either with dentures or implants. Luckily he can be treated without that happening.
So yeah, sometimes taking the step to tell someone of a possible embarrassing issue helps overall.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    ^+1
  • sweedee1218
    sweedee1218 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!!! I say this all the time! I would want someone to tell me if my breath stank! That way I can fix it!!!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I actually think you're a good person for this to have come from. You're a person they are paying to assist in their self-improvement and so a construuctive criticism coming from you may be taken as less harsh than from a friend or associate. Kind of like when your doctor points out you need to lose weight.

Glad it worked out for him.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    _ronrob_ wrote: »
    Ninerbuff, as a moderator you may have a problem you aren't aware of...
    Love to hear about it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png