Holy Sodium, Olive Garden!

Options
dd_salas
dd_salas Posts: 57 Member
Just had lunch at Olive Garden with a co-worker, and even their "light" menu options have a schload of sodium. I must have drank 3 glasses of water with lunch, and am chugging another liter now to help flush it out. Is there any such thing as a reasonable-sodium Italian plate?

Replies

• Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Is there any such thing as a reasonable-sodium Italian plate?

Probably not at Olive Garden! Or any chain for that matter.
  • Change130
    Options
    I had Olive Garden for lunch as well and i couldn't agree with you more!!
  • MeaganAnn84
    Options
    A "schload"...ha! I'm laughing at that word. But, holy sodium. Grrrrr. :)
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Olive Garden is no where near real Italian food ;D

I have read that you cannot simply drink a few more glasses of water to flush out a high sodium day. Wonder if anyone else has more info on this?

What I have read is mainly that several hormones are involved in regulating the amount of water and salt in the blood, and they don’t always keep excess salt out of the bloodstream when you eat too much salt. When some people eat a high-salt diet, their kidneys don’t remove all the excess salt, so it builds up in the blood. Salt attracts and retains water, so excess salt causes the volume of water in the blood to rise, which raises blood pressure. So water does not get rid of the problem.
  • dd_salas
    dd_salas Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Olive Garden is no where near real Italian food ;D

I have read that you cannot simply drink a few more glasses of water to flush out a high sodium day. Wonder if anyone else has more info on this?

What I have read is mainly that several hormones are involved in regulating the amount of water and salt in the blood, and they don’t always keep excess salt out of the bloodstream when you eat too much salt. When some people eat a high-salt diet, their kidneys don’t remove all the excess salt, so it builds up in the blood. Salt attracts and retains water, so excess salt causes the volume of water in the blood to rise, which raises blood pressure. So water does not get rid of the problem.
    I'd like better info on this too then. I had spoken with the Bio/AP Anatomy teacher here at my school, and he was the one that said 2 liters within 4 hours of salk overload helps flush it out. If anyone has referenced info otherwise, please share. Because I really don't feel like running to go pee every 5 min for nada. =)