Sodium and canned tuna

Options

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    No. Screw the sodium. It's the mercury you should be worried about. http://seaturtles.org/programs/mercury/?list=type&type=75

Right? I always say this on people's "I love tuna I eat it every day" posts and am always ignored. I don't think most people care I guess.
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    No. Screw the sodium. It's the mercury you should be worried about. http://seaturtles.org/programs/mercury/?list=type&type=75

Right? I always say this on people's "I love tuna I eat it every day" posts and am always ignored. I don't think most people care I guess.

once again-I eat between 5 and 10 cans a week. Have been doing that for over 40 years. I'm still here,so I don't think I'll lose sleep over my mercury levels tonite--Although I appreciate everyones help and concern,I asked about sodium NOT mercury
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Rinsing won't help; especially since it's had time to sit and absorb some of the liquid in which it was packed in. Either look for brands with lower sodium (and you can buy more if you use a coupon! I've stocked up on a bunch lately since my dad loves the Starkist tuna in pouches), or enjoy your regular canned/pouch tuna in moderation if you don't have any medical need to reduce sodium. :)
  • arditarose
    edited November 2014
    Options

once again-I eat between 5 and 10 cans a week. Have been doing that for over 40 years. I'm still here,so I don't think I'll lose sleep over my mercury levels tonite--Although I appreciate everyones help and concern,I asked about sodium NOT mercury

Okay...Let me just say in response to that "Holy Cow!" because I've actually never heard of eating that much canned tuna in a week. Now I will leave you alone about mercury poisoning. And you can worry about...salt, all ya want! Good luck!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Theoretically, you'd think soaking it in water would remove some sodium. I don't know! No way to test that. It would be interesting to learn, though. :)
    AJ_G wrote: »
    Do you have a medical reason to be concerned with your sodium intake? Unless you have high blood pressure, then there's not reason to worry about it.
    Many people are encouraged by their doctors to stick to 1500 in order to prevent cardiovascular problems.

Waiting until you have one is an option, but many doctors are giving different advice than you are.

It's not easy, that's for sure.

• tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    No offense to my fellow MFP'ers, or to the original poster, but these forums seem a terrible place to obtain factual information. Lots of sidetracking, lots of opinionated debate, but seldom succint and to the point. Or constructive.

I did a google search. Within the first results was a research paper journal summary... from 1983.

"Effect of water rinsing on sodium content of selected foods.
    Vermeulen RT, Sedor FA, Kimm SY.
    Abstract
    The sodium content of water-rinsed canned green beans, tuna, and cottage cheese was analyzed. A 3-minute rinse of tuna and cottage cheese resulted in sodium reductions of 80% and 63%, respectively, with no significant effect on iron content. Calcium was reduced by approximately 50%. Although rinsing had a minimal effect on the sodium in canned beans, replacing the canning brine with water before heating lowered salt content by 33%. This study shows that the simple and economical methods of water rinsing of tuna and cottage cheese and of heating green beans in tap water markedly lowered salt content."

From my own suggestions (and sidetracking, again): low-sodium tuna is available. Starkist contains 100 mg Na per 2 oz drained weight - so 200 mg per can.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Well, from one site I just googled; yes, rinsing can reduce the sodium.

A study from the "Journal of the American Dietetic Association" tested the effects of three minutes of water rinsing on several high-sodium foods. The results indicated that the sodium content of canned tuna was lowered by 80 percent after the rinse. Iron content was not affected, but calcium content decreased by 50 percent. Researchers concluded that rinsing canned tuna in water clearly reduced salt levels.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    tycho_mx wrote: »
    No offense to my fellow MFP'ers, or to the original poster, but these forums seem a terrible place to obtain factual information. Lots of sidetracking, lots of opinionated debate, but seldom succint and to the point. Or constructive.

I did a google search. Within the first results was a research paper journal summary... from 1983.

Abstract
    The sodium content of water-rinsed canned green beans, tuna, and cottage cheese was analyzed. A 3-minute rinse of tuna and cottage cheese resulted in sodium reductions of 80% and 63%, respectively, with no significant effect on iron content. Calcium was reduced by approximately 50%. Although rinsing had a minimal effect on the sodium in canned beans, replacing the canning brine with water before heating lowered salt content by 33%. This study shows that the simple and economical methods of water rinsing of tuna and cottage cheese and of heating green beans in tap water markedly lowered salt content."

From my own suggestions (and sidetracking, again): low-sodium tuna is available. Starkist contains 100 mg Na per 2 oz drained weight - so 200 mg per can.

That's true, but being 1983, I'm willing to bet that study was pre-spring water canned tuna and used tuna in brine, so rinsing would certianly get rid of the residual brine (which contains a large amount of the sodium in canned tuna). Saltwater canned tuna has already been rinsed prior to canning, hence my skepticism that further rinsing would result in even lower sodium.

This seems to be bourne out by tuna being categorised in the studies referred to as a high sodium food, when tuna in springwater isn't generally classified as high sodium.
  • 21million
    21million Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    If you have been eating 5 to 10 cans a week and are fine the sodium is probably okay too? I dunno, but, a decent alternative may be tilapia if you can't solve the tuna dilemma - same kind of flavor profile and maybe less sodium. :)
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options

That's true, but being 1983, I'm willing to bet that study was pre-spring water canned tuna and used tuna in brine, so rinsing would certianly get rid of the residual brine (which contains a large amount of the sodium in canned tuna). Saltwater canned tuna has already been rinsed prior to canning, hence my skepticism that further rinsing would result in even lower sodium.

This seems to be bourne out by tuna being categorised in the studies referred to as a high sodium food, when tuna in springwater isn't generally classified as high sodium.

Suit yourself. Beyond the lack of understanding of physics (dilution is a physical phenomenon), it's incredible to me that people actually think their beliefs can debunk actual scientific research.

My last contribution here: where there is a solute and a solvent, you can ALWAYS reduce the concentration of the latter. It's just a matter of equilibrium. In this case, the key parameter in the experiment is time - in only 3 minutes you achieve that reduction.

Which is the basis of making edible food from salted preserves, like cod - you simply soak the salted rigid slab of fish and rinse for days until the salt levels are acceptable.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Suit yourself. Beyond the lack of understanding of physics (dilution is a physical phenomenon), it's incredible to me that people actually think their beliefs can debunk actual scientific research.

My last contribution here: where there is a solute and a solvent, you can ALWAYS reduce the concentration of the latter. It's just a matter of equilibrium. In this case, the key parameter in the experiment is time - in only 3 minutes you achieve that reduction.

Which is the basis of making edible food from salted preserves, like cod - you simply soak the salted rigid slab of fish and rinse for days until the salt levels are acceptable.

I'm not debunking the research, I'm asking for specificity on the base parameters. The lower the levels of the solvent, the lower the percentage of reduction in the overall product.
  • shifterbrainz
    shifterbrainz Posts: 245 Member
    Options

Didn't you get the memo that 1984 changed everything? Science be damned. Feelings rein supreme LOL. You are completely correct about dilution.
  • indianwin2001
    Options

Okay...Let me just say in response to that "Holy Cow!" because I've actually never heard of eating that much canned tuna in a week. Now I will leave you alone about mercury poisoning. And you can worry about...salt, all ya want! Good luck!

WOW--don't take it personally----5-10 cans is about 6 ounces of tuna a day--Thats not a lot
  • arditarose
    Options
    ^^I don't take how much canned fished anyone eats personally. I just get surprised. A can of tuna is like 3 oz I think.
  • indianwin2001
    Options
    ^^I don't take how much canned fished anyone eats personally. I just get surprised. A can of tuna is like 3 oz I think.

4 oz-- which is not a lot
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I know you said tuna and brand bumblebee...but if you like canned salmon, they have no salt added canned salmon at Trader Joes...I believe the sodium is 60mg and Chicken of the Sea canned tuna has a reduced sodium I believe 90 mg...as I am watching my sodium also?

Trader Joe's also has albocore white tuna in water with no sodium added. I believe its 35 mg per 2 oz.

And yes I watch my sodium also , cause ya know, I'm old-BP :D
  • indianwin2001
    Options

Abstract

Thanks--This is the "true"help I was looking for. I also learned and agree with your comment these forums seem a terrible place to obtain factual information. Lots of sidetracking, lots of opinionated debate, but seldom succint and to the point. Or constructive. I just wanted a little help with sodium intake and got arguments about mercury--
  • arditarose
    Options
    ^^No arguments about mercury. Just statements! Okay, now I'm being annoying. Goodnight.
  • indianwin2001
    Options
    Tigg_er wrote: »
    I know you said tuna and brand bumblebee...but if you like canned salmon, they have no salt added canned salmon at Trader Joes...I believe the sodium is 60mg and Chicken of the Sea canned tuna has a reduced sodium I believe 90 mg...as I am watching my sodium also?

Trader Joe's also has albocore white tuna in water with no sodium added. I believe its 35 mg per 2 oz.

And yes I watch my sodium also , cause ya know, I'm old-BP :D

Thanks