Legs bums and tums vs body conditioning

Options
Hi guys.

I have never tried any of these but my gym offers both. Has anyone tried either? How well do they work, which is better, etc.

I have always been of the opinion that resistance training should be 'all over body' as opposed to specific areas. No one wants to have a firm bum and flabby arms. However, I also would be doing Pilates which is all body workout. Opinions please? :) Thank you

Replies

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Look at Starting Strength and Stronglifts programs. They're three-times-a-week full-body workout and a smart progression that will have you building muscle in no time.
  • cardosium
    cardosium Posts: 25 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    Look at Starting Strength and Stronglifts programs. They're three-times-a-week full-body workout and a smart progression that will have you building muscle in no time.
    Thank you for your random reply. If I had asked 'what is the best way of getting into weight training' then your reply could have been useful. However, I specifically asked about two classes. Thank you for your reply anyway.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    cardosium wrote: »
    Thank you for your random reply. If I had asked 'what is the best way of getting into weight training' then your reply could have been useful. However, I specifically asked about two classes. Thank you for your reply anyway.

LOL why don't you research then. Do you know how to?
  • CipherZero
    Options

Read what the classes are then, or have someone read them to you.

I'd suggest you actually learn what works to build muscle and get a good foundation of strength.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hi guys.

I have never tried any of these but my gym offers both. Has anyone tried either? How well do they work, which is better, etc.

I have always been of the opinion that resistance training should be 'all over body' as opposed to specific areas. No one wants to have a firm bum and flabby arms. However, I also would be doing Pilates which is all body workout. Opinions please? :) Thank you

I don't know but it sounds like a class geared towards building your butt and attempting to build a six-pack. Trying to build your gluteus medius and maximus without strengthening your hamstrings, quads, and calves (not to mention upper body) is stupid. It's almost like buying a brand new car and swapping out the new tires for 10-year old tires without treads. You'd have to look into what the "Tum" portion is. Core strength is important but I'd say dedicating an entire class to it is pointless and just clever marketing feeding on the unknowing individual.

It's best to think of the muscles in your body as one collective system versus individual body parts. If one part of the system doesn't work appropriately then something else must take over for it and that just leads to dysfunctional movement and injury.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Personally, I think the more all-over body or compound muscles you use, the better off you are. There may be an occasion when you discover you are particularly weak in a muscle group, such as hams, glutes or whatever, and you can potentially isolate those muscles for a mini-workout, but generally I think it's better to work them all together as much as possible.

So in other words, I would go for what you call "body conditioning" over individual muscle groups!

• cardosium
    Options

I'd suggest you actually learn what works to build muscle and get a good foundation of strength.

You are so arrogant. Will you get out of my topic, please? I don't care about your bs and condescending ways. Who do you think you are? I am a Science University student, so I can read words you propably can't pronounce and understand what they mean.
  • cardosium
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »
    Personally, I think the more all-over body or compound muscles you use, the better off you are. There may be an occasion when you discover you are particularly weak in a muscle group, such as hams, glutes or whatever, and you can potentially isolate those muscles for a mini-workout, but generally I think it's better to work them all together as much as possible.

So in other words, I would go for what you call "body conditioning" over individual muscle groups!

That's what I thought. However, these Let classes are very popular at my gym and I wondering if anyone here has done them and how well did they work :-)
  • cardosium
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Hi guys.

I don't know but it sounds like a class geared towards building your butt and attempting to build a six-pack. Trying to build your gluteus medius and maximus without strengthening your hamstrings, quads, and calves (not to mention upper body) is stupid. It's almost like buying a brand new car and swapping out the new tires for 10-year old tires without treads. You'd have to look into what the "Tum" portion is. Core strength is important but I'd say dedicating an entire class to it is pointless and just clever marketing feeding on the unknowing individual.

It's best to think of the muscles in your body as one collective system versus individual body parts. If one part of the system doesn't work appropriately then something else must take over for it and that just leads to dysfunctional movement and injury.
    Yeah, I know all that guys... Why I am being taught how to such eggs?! I am JUST looking to find out how these classes have worked for people who have done them! Don't assume I know nothing just because I.posted here...
  • cardosium
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

LOL why don't you research then. Do you know how to?

I know how to do 1st class Biochemistry, Cellular Biology and Genetics work, so yes I Google searches are kids play for me... Can also do serious academic journals!!!!
  • CipherZero
    Options
    You are so arrogant.

I might be an *kitten*, but I'm not wrong.
    I have always been of the opinion that resistance training should be 'all over body' as opposed to specific areas.

So why choose a program that's less effective than getting under a barbell? The choice of the two programs you've posted is like choosing between holding a hot coal or getting a fork in the eye. Can't we avoid both?
  • cardosium
    Options
    You are so arrogant.

I might be an *kitten*, but I'm not wrong.
    I have always been of the opinion that resistance training should be 'all over body' as opposed to specific areas.

So why choose a program that's less effective than getting under a barbell? The choice of the two programs you've posted is like choosing between holding a hot coal or getting a fork in the eye. Can't we avoid both?

What's wrong with Body Conditioning? Have you ever done it?
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Hi guys.

Yeah, I know all that guys... Why I am being taught how to such eggs?! I am JUST looking to find out how these classes have worked for people who have done them! Don't assume I know nothing just because I.posted here...

No offense, but if you had the answer to this then you would not need to post here. I wasn't taking a shot at you; I'm just calling out the issues with this type of training.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

You are so arrogant. Will you get out of my topic, please? I don't care about your bs and condescending ways. Who do you think you are? I am a Science University student, so I can read words you propably can't pronounce and understand what they mean.

:lol: Look at you getting upset in a forum.

• cardosium
    Options
    Ok guys, sorry about the fact that I did not explain myself properly in the first post. That is probably what lead to your condescending remarks and my resulting angry replies. Let's see if I can explain myself now. Difficult considering I didn't have much sleep last night (up until late thinking about molecules (Science student here, no joke)... Another reason why I need to exercise more- to sleep better! Sometimes I dream about equations, graphs, chemical reactions and my favourite (NOT!) I solve equations during my dreams! One day I was dreaming about an equation, woke up to have a wee, got back to bed and my dream resumed, so I went back to the bloody equation.... :|

Anyway, my story in short. Always been slim, 4/5 years ago had depression, started taking anti depressants and ballooned and developed the habit of eating to feel better. This comes from somebody who would go days without chocolate... Anyway, I went from 52/53 kg (I am 1.65 m) to 75 kg. In the beginning of the year I started to watch what I eat (using MFP) and exercising (Zumba, Aerobics and Pilates, mostly). Before I used to walk and sometimes (read rarely) go for a light jog. Anyway, I lost 10 kg in 6/7 months, then went on holiday and since then have not exercised as much/watched what I eat as much so I am still 65 kg roughly.

I like (read love!) Zumba for cardio and like aerobics as well. However, I am stuck in what to do about weight training. I lost 10kg doing only Pilates (and cardio) and even though I look alright (a tad flabby but decent) I would like to look properly fit again : D Also it worries me that when I hit my target weight I might be really flabby and actually look worse. Also I am 30 so ideally I want to preserve/build muscle mass (better metabolism and overall health and that) and not loose. Also, I don't want to look masculine, muscly or nothing like that just slim and toned (fit) but I am sure that's what we all (women) want! LOL :) About Pilates, it seems to me that it is great for health reasons, for example, posture and to be strong overall but I doubt that it can preserve muscle mass or have to much of an effect on how 'toned' one looks. I know a lot of celebrity claim they got fit on Yoga only but that is a big load of bs. No one gets fit on Yoga.

Anyway, Legs Bums and Tums must be a joke. I didn't go to the class in the end and quite frankly my lower half is stronger than my top half anyway. So it would not be the class for me. So I was wondering if I really need to hit the fitness suite (no motivation to exercise at home- too many books) and do a weight training programme in the machines? I had done in the past but it was so long ago I cannot remember much.

Thanks in advance and sorry about the long post!

• cardosium
    Options

Would a gym instructor (I am in the University gym so it's not great, small facilities, etc) be able to put together a good plan? What a good plan would be for my goals (keep losing weight and 'toning'- I know, I hate that word too).
  • cardosium
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

:lol: Look at you getting upset in a forum.

Ha ha :) I will blame it on the fact that I am sleep deprived Science student! : D
  • bigroastdinner
    bigroastdinner Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I did LBT when I was at uni and I really enjoyed it, although I wouldn't say I gained muscle from it (but perhaps I didn't stick at it for long enough). We did some arms exercises along with the squats etc, but I think it really depends on the instructor as to what you get.