Has anyone lost body fat by doing cardio only?

Options
The popular opinion on here is that to lose body fat you need to do strength training, but as anyone on here lost body fat with no strength training and only cardio? Stomach fat especially

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you will lose bodyfat if you're ina calorie deficit, regardless of exercise.

you will maintain more lean mass if you strength train while losing weight.
  • Phill2488
    Phill2488 Posts: 97 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Thank god. I hate strength training. An unpopular opinion I know, but I find it really boring, and I've tried everything to make it more fun, but nothing has worked.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    yes
  • Phill2488
    Phill2488 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    yes

I like your answer. Short and straight to the point
  • kur0shiro
    kur0shiro Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yes! I only did swimming and the elliptical machine the first 6 months of my ~diet~. Managed to lose 10kg but after that, I really had to introduce other workouts because I stopped losing weight.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Running. Especially distance. Even in a single run if you're running far enough (like other exercises) you switch from using sugar/glucose for fuel to using fat.
  • katew221
    katew221 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I did only cardio for about the first 6 months and I lost weight just fine. I now do strength training once a week with HIIT and callisthenics (press ups, sit ups, etc.) where I use weights when applicable during training. I am loving it and it is totally not boring! I have a personal trainer who keeps it fun.
    I think as you drop the weight it is nice to feel the muscle coming through. Start with cardio and you can always add weights in later. :smile:
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Phill2488 wrote: »
    The popular opinion on here is that to lose body fat you need to do strength training, but as anyone on here lost body fat with no strength training and only cardio? Stomach fat especially

Sorry, but that is not the popular opinion at all and you have misinformed yourself.
    People suggest strength training because its a good way to reduce the amount of muscle loss as well as several other benefits. Of course you can lose weight based on a calorific deificit, but you cant spot reduce.

Cardio is a good calorie burner, but you have to do a lot to lose decent amounts of weight by exercise alone.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

Thank god. I hate strength training. An unpopular opinion I know, but I find it really boring, and I've tried everything to make it more fun, but nothing has worked.

Keep in mind that you don't need to do the standard weight lifting programs. Any program that provides resistance will help you maintain muscle. You can do body weight resistance or programs like cross fit/body pump. And resistance training can improve your cardio workouts.

• kendi0
    kendi0 Posts: 17 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Yes! Me! Only running outdoor and eventually skiing in winter. I've lost 7kg, mainly fat, and I've also gained some lean mass.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

I can empathise. It's not exactly the most fun thing especially if you train on your own. I read between sets, 1 side at a time. Sometimes I watch TV while doing it. :smile:
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    My workouts tend to be mostly cardio with a teeny bit of weight-bearing... I've lost weight, yes, but I cannot tell you if it's all fat or if I've lost muscle, too.

I'm not a huge fan of weightlifting, either. I know that I should do it, but I really hate having callouses on my hands from the bars. I hate the way that the steel bars make my hands smell. I hate the bros who hang out in that part of the gym.

However, there are lots of other things you can do to maintain muscle mass: currently I'm liking a TRX workout. Plyometrics are good, too. Work with a trainer to find something that you enjoy doing.
  • greenminimalist
    Options

Good to know. I feel the same way about strength training.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you can lose body fat while just doing cardio, but it'll be hard if you do low intensity, steady state cardio. push yourself. do sprint- and hill-repeats and work outside your comfort zone.
  • SteveMoto
    SteveMoto Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    In addition to calorie deficit I only run. I have a scale that tells me body fat and muscle composition and over time I've dropped a couple percent of fat and increased my muscle percentage in addition to losing overall weight.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Keep in mind that you don't need to do the standard weight lifting programs. Any program that provides resistance will help you maintain muscle. You can do body weight resistance or programs like cross fit/body pump. And resistance training can improve your cardio workouts.

I do Pilates and Pole dance for my strength training. Both extremely fun/enjoyable and not as boring as weights-I've never been a lifting kind of gal.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    you can lose body fat while just doing cardio, but it'll be hard if you do low intensity, steady state cardio. push yourself. do sprint- and hill-repeats and work outside your comfort zone.

If OP starts from a mainly sedentary life style, simple walking (low intensity, steady state) on a regular basis can do wonders for weight loss. Sprint and hill repeats might be asking too much and too soon from the beginner.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Stomach fat especially
    There are no exercises that will specifically reduce belly fat. A calorie deficit will cause weight loss. The lost weight is from both fat and muscle. The purpose of resistance training is to reduce muscle loss while in a caloric deficit.

A lot of people don't go "all in" on a single form of exercise. They use a balanced approach alternating cardio days and strength training days.

If you want to lose weight watch your calories and maintain a calorie deficit. You don't have to exercise at all.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I don't weight lift at te gym but I do use hand weights and bands. I follow some routines on youtube and I also do Pilates. Right now I'm only up to 25lbs. The guys in the gym really intimidate me in the weight area and even the women who are in there do as well. Eventually I'll go in there but right now I'm content doing it at home.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I don't weight lift at te gym but I do use hand weights and bands. I follow some routines on youtube and I also do Pilates. Right now I'm only up to 25lbs. The guys in the gym really intimidate me in the weight area and even the women who are in there do as well. Eventually I'll go in there but right now I'm content doing it at home.

yes, it can be intimidating to go in the weight area. But remember, every single person in the weight room also started as a beginner. Most of them understand that and are usually to focused on what they are doing to be concerned about a beginner.