&!@$%* Shin Splints!

Options
How many people have problems with shin splints, and what do you do????
Mine are getting sooo bad, I can't even run 5 minutes without excruciating pain! I have had shin splints for as long as I can remember. I tried the new Reebok zigtech when it first came out and they worked wonders! :smile: The sole of the shoe was so soft and had a lot of cusion it felt like I was running on a cloud. The shoes/mesh part wore out really quick so I got a new pair with better material but the soles of the shoe were harder and now my shins are right back to square one. :grumble:
Last week I bought $150 (recommened) Brooks shoe with a lot of stability, those did not work either. I have been told to wear compression socks (which I am looking into) but I just want to get up and run without any problems!!! It's very frustrating to run only 5 minutes and feel like your shins are going to explode :explode:
I am thinking of going back to the Reebok Zigs. I found out this morning a big problem is when my shins start to hurt I try to over compensate for the pain and end up running like a caveman, really heavy flat footed.

Replies

• lvnspoonful
    lvnspoonful Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    bump

I have shin splints too!
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I'm dealing with them now, have never had them this bad. It seems running is not in the cards for me. I'm willing to try different things, but the pain I have now makes the idea of running so uninviting just cause I'm afraid to get them again. I wondered if some people are just more prone to them.
  • mabella17
    mabella17 Posts: 93
    Options
    Everything I have read says you tend to get them more when you increase your running/exercise. I am doing the same amout of running I have always been doing, so I know that's not the case..... just wish I knew how to make them go away! :frown:
  • Windi38
    Windi38 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I get shin splints something awful if I try to run. It even got to the point where i couldn't walk for more than a mile without getting them. Had them all my life. Had to quick track in high school because of it, and that was when I was like 98 lbs soaking wet!

I started bicycling instead, and I've found that whatever work out I'm getting on the bike is helping my shin splints to the point where I can now go on 5 mile walks with the dogs at a vigorous pace and be fine. Although I still can't run.

I tried everything to help the shin splints. nothing worked. no shoe, no sock, no exercise, so set of stretches. Nothing. I've had two doctors tell me it's in my knees. My knee caps are out of alignment or something to that affect.

Thank God for bicycles, because it's the only aerobic workout I can do!
  • ShannonE1978
    ShannonE1978 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I saw this on someones signature in the forum and I would like to share because I have had a cramp in my foot all day. I did this once and it seems to be helping. (See below)

CURE SHIN SPLINTS!!!! Sit down, couch or desk ---> Point your toes out --> Write out the alphabet with your toes --> Do this three times a day You WILL BE HEALED ! I promise
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    How many people have problems with shin splints, and what do you do????
    Mine are getting sooo bad, I can't even run 5 minutes without excruciating pain! I have had shin splints for as long as I can remember. I tried the new Reebok zigtech when it first came out and they worked wonders! :smile: The sole of the shoe was so soft and had a lot of cusion it felt like I was running on a cloud. The shoes/mesh part wore out really quick so I got a new pair with better material but the soles of the shoe were harder and now my shins are right back to square one. :grumble:
    Last week I bought $150 (recommened) Brooks shoe with a lot of stability, those did not work either. I have been told to wear compression socks (which I am looking into) but I just want to get up and run without any problems!!! It's very frustrating to run only 5 minutes and feel like your shins are going to explode :explode:
    I am thinking of going back to the Reebok Zigs. I found out this morning a big problem is when my shins start to hurt I try to over compensate for the pain and end up running like a caveman, really heavy flat footed.

BE VERY CAUTIOUS RUNNING WITH SHIN SPLINTS!!!!
    If you do not know the underlying cause you may have muscle tearing and can no longer support you. You can cause permanent damage.
    You may have stress fractures and potentially cause compartment syndrome.
    You really should seek medical advice.
  • copperdave
    copperdave Posts: 146
    Options
    Stretch, stretch, stretch. Point the toe out, then pull the lower leg against the back of the thigh. I've always had shin splints (even from extended walking) and this stretch seems to work the best for me. Do it before your run, then after. You should notice a difference. Also, stay hydrated. Lack of hydration can cause the muscles in the lower leg to tighten, which aggravates the problem.
  • gregmroberts
    Options
    Could be your shoes. We have a place out here (San Diego) that takes you through a few tests and then actually fits (recommends) you with the right shoe, based on your stride, foot strike, ect. Also, you may have to do more leg workouts w/ weights. Leg extensions always seem to be the best for both shin splints and knee problems. In the mean time, ice them down after your runs. Good luck, and hope this helps.
  • ldon37
    ldon37 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Ice immediately after your run. Stretch your calves and hamstrings several times throughout the day. Take anti-inflammatory (ibuprofen).
  • mabella17
    mabella17 Posts: 93
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I do streches for my shins before I start running, while I am running (I actually take off my shoe on the path to do it) and ice them afterwards. The ice feels amazing when it's on there, but the next time I run there is no difference.
  • Fliegenschwein
    Fliegenschwein Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm currently running between 12-15 miles per week and I used to get bad shin splints. I found the below stretch worked wonders for me. Try doing it every day, and especially before and after running.

Kneel on both knees with your bum over both heels and feet extended back.
    Slowly sit down on heels - or as far as you can go toward them, it shouldn’t hurt. Try not to sit between ankles.
    Hold the position for 20-30 seconds and repeat as needed.

kneelingshinstretch.jpg
  • iDreamNEON
    iDreamNEON Posts: 112
    Options
    The first time I tried running I had awful shin splints. The first thing is to be sure you have proper shoes and that they aren't worn down. If you suffer from flat feet like me you may also need shoe inserts. And be sure to warm up before working out and after always be sure to stretch out your muscles.
  • TCrawford70
    TCrawford70 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I got shin splints last year when I went from couch potatoe to trying to run with my husband. I got the compression socks from the Runners Shop and they helped a little but not enough. I got into Zumba and that irritated the shin splints worse. I iced and used compression socks both and still no relief. I have laid off of any excercise except walking and eliptical until a month ago when I started MFP. I am now running/walking and no problems yet! The only thing to do is lay off for a while- that's what my Dr. said and it worked, I think it was about 4mo. all together but she said I could get stress fractures if I wasn't careful! Good luck!:smile:
  • sweetbri07
    sweetbri07 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You really need to ice those shin splints. The muscle (tibialis anterior) tears away from your bone (tibia), which results in shin splints. You need to stop running and give the muscles time to heal and re-attach back to that bone. Continuing to run on acute shin splints puts you at risk for stress fractures, or completely tearing that muscle off of the bone. ICE ICE ICE. I know it sucks to be told not to run, but you HAVE to let those injuries heal. I am a licensed massage therapist, so I have treated people with shin splints and in the acute phase, theres not much else to do besides ice and take anti-inflammatories and try to stay off your feet as much as you can.

Yes, stretching can definitely help, but while in the acute phase, when it hurts to just walk, its not gonna help that much til you give it some time to heal. Then doing the toe-points while writing the abcs, picking up things with toes and even calf raises can help strengthen those muscles again. I definitely recommend seeing a doctor, and possibly going and seeing a massage therapist. But as of right now, please ice your shins.
  • MNRunnerGirl
    MNRunnerGirl Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I just finished my second 1/2 marathon this morning, and have been fighting with shin splits the last 3 weeks of my training. Here's what worked for me...

I took about 2-3 days off from running when they started to hurt. I iced them , took Tylenol, did yoga, and wore compression socks during those days. I think the yoga and the compression socks helped the most! I've now added about 15-30 minutes of stretching and yoga to my schedule about 2 twice a week. If my shins start to hurt during a run, I stop running and start my '2-3 days off cycle' above. I'm scared they might up turning into stress fractures if keep running through to pain. I had those once in high school...really not fun!

I hope this helps you get your miles back!

Happy Running! (o:
  • ang_mitch
    ang_mitch Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Charice
    Charice Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have had shin splints every time I try any new exercise, but I finally found the source of my problem (and according to my Dr, the source of 90% of shin splints). I over-pronate my feet. This means my feet turn in when I strike the ground. The first thing I did was take some time off to let things heal, then I got some new shoes that were good stabilizers (Brooks), then (and most importantly) I got some orthotic inserts. The orthotics have a good arch support in them and don't allow my foot to roll in. It took a while to get my feet used to wearing the orthotics, don't run in them until you have worn them for a while to get your feet used to them, but I can finally get up and go without the killer pain. Don't get the cheap $10 ones you can get at Wal-Mart...they aren't enough support. I got mine through my chiropractor for about $50, but I have also heard that the Dr Scholl's inserts you get when you stand on the little analysis machine (also available at some Wal-Mart's) are pretty good and are about $40-$50. You can also get custom made orthotics from a podiatrist, but they run about $300. First things first though, take the time to let them heal, keep icing, the stretching and pointing exercises will help too, but don't keep using them if they hurt that bad. Good luck!
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I ran back when I was 17 everyday and ended up getting shin splints bad too, I ended up quitting my running routine it was so bad! now, I am 42 and back to running and my shins seem to be fine at this point as I have been doing it off and on now for about 5 1/2 months. i have much better shoes and take my time and try not to overly push myself, if I feel my shins start to hurt again, I will take a break and do something else until they feel better. There is a ton of information online that tell you what you can do about shin slpints, I was so afraid of getting them again that I have checked out the sites! Good luck and I do hope they go away for you I know how frustrating it is!
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I had a bad case of shin splints a couple of months ago. They were terrible!! I was in so much pain it was unreal. I honestly thought I had a stress fracture. I went to the doctor and she recommended the R.I.C.E. treatment...Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation. She gave me strict orders to stay off my feet for 2 weeks. I was so mad that I had to abandon my exercise program. My doctor also gave me a prescription for Voltaren gel...which is an anti-inflamatory. I used that topically right on my shins and the combination of the R.I.C.E. treatment and medication healed them. After the two weeks I started back really slow, only walking/ jogging 15 minutes and slowly increased my time and distance every couple of days. I hope you get them under control. I know how painful they can be and how frustrating it is when you can't exercise. Good luck!