How long does it take to improve running time?

Options
JamesClarke91
JamesClarke91 Posts: 3
edited November 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm sure this gets asked a lot but I couldn't find a thread relevant to me.

I'm a 22 year old male training for the armed forces. I weigh 80kg at about 12% body fat, 5'10. I was unable to run for a long time due to a medical condition which has cleared up now so I'm really getting into my training. I've been running for about a month, started very slowly and I've recently been running some 5k's. Last night I ran 4.8k (3miles) in 24.58. I need to be able to run this distance in 22.30. I also ran my first 10k in 59.50 but I didn't really push myself. I train cardio 4-5 times a week + full body strength and core work.

Please don't think I'm being impatient, I know these things take time and I'm sure as hell willing to put in the time and hard work. I was just interested to see if anyone knew a rough time frame of what I might be looking at so I can plan when I might be able to apply for my career. I literally have no idea whether to expect 1 month, 6 months or even a year to drop 2.30mins of that time.

Thanks!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It depends on the individual...

I was in the Marine Corps and even in boot camp after pretty intense training, I barely passed my PT run. I always passed my runs, but usually just barely...always in the back of the pack...I have never been a good endurance runner and have only ever been able to just pass a military PT run even though I could knock out about a gazillion pull-ups and sit-ups and I could smoke an obstacle course.

I was a sprinter and a gymnast growing up...but endurance running wasn't my strong suit. I just had to make myself do it and will myself to get the time. Just keep working at it and pushing it.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Some music that gets your adrenaline pumping can help. As can attention to form. It's amazing what simply controlling your head or arm position can do for your speed.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    look at periodisation in training if you are not doing this already. "Fitness" isn't a constant but fluctuates with the work you put it. If you perioidise your training you can peak at the right time (hit the highest level of fitness you can possibly hit with your current body) at the right time. It will also allow you to increase your fitness at a faster rate than you may be able to achieve by just slogging it.

Good luck
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    "Need" to? Do explain why, just for my curiosity.

To answer your question: "years of mileage volume, mostly at an easy pace."
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    noexcusesjustresults2014 Posts: 212 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    If you have been running for about a month, based on your current 3 mile time, weight and age I bet you could hit your goal in less than 2 months assuming proper mileage. You have not been running long and progress will come fastest for new runners like yourself. One month after I started running my 5k time was about 25 minutes (near where you are now).

Within 3 months of starting running my 5k time was 21 minutes.

I am faster now but progress was never as fast as it was during the first few months.

Build your mileage up gradually and I am sure you will reach your goal. I agree with SonicDeathMonkey that most of your runs should be at an easy pace. After multiple years of running, I still usually only run at a fast pace once a week
  • JamesClarke91
    Options
    Great answers thanks all!

@SonicDeath - It's my ambition to join the Royal Marine Commandos here in the UK, part of the initial fitness examination is a 3 mile run. The first 1.5 miles to be completed in under 12.30 minutes and the second 1.5 miles to be completed in under 10 minutes straight afterwards totalling a 22.30 minute 3 mile run. One of the toughest military entry test and training in the world!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Great answers thanks all!

@SonicDeath - It's my ambition to join the Royal Marine Commandos here in the UK, part of the initial fitness examination is a 3 mile run. The first 1.5 miles to be completed in under 12.30 minutes and the second 1.5 miles to be completed in under 10 minutes straight afterwards totalling a 22.30 minute 3 mile run. One of the toughest military entry test and training in the world!

Cripes. That is challenging. I could be a commando, but aside from the run, I'd be pretty lousy at everything else. Got any desk jobs?
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I'm a 34-year-old mother of four, and until February of this year I had literally never run a mile in my life or done anything athletic. I completed the Couch to 5K program in March and ran my first 5K race in early May with a time of 26:01. I continued lifting heavy 3x/week and running 2-3x/week and cut my 5K time to 24:30 by July. At that point I stopped the heavy lifting and started training for my first triathlon by adding cycling and swimming to my routine. A month later I had cut another minute off my 5K time. I still can't run 3 miles in 22:30 (unless it's on a treadmill with 0% incline, and that doesn't count in my mind), but I can run a hilly 10K in about 52 minutes and can maintain an 8:25/mile pace for 10 miles.

Since you are young, male, and in good physical shape, I would expect your speed progression to be much quicker than my own. Good luck!!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    @SonicDeath - It's my ambition to join the Royal Marine Commandos here in the UK

The key question really si whether you've kicked off the process with the AFCO yet? The RN/ RM recruiters can give you a lot of advice about improving your fitness performance for the recruit tests and in preparation to start at CTCRM.

I have, in the past, been involved in UK Military recruiting, both RN/ RM and Army.
    ... part of the initial fitness examination is a 3 mile run. The first 1.5 miles to be completed in under 12.30 minutes and the second 1.5 miles to be completed in under 10 minutes straight afterwards totalling a 22.30 minute 3 mile run.

In terms of structure, that's done as a squad run, then personal best effort. So whilst there is an aggregated time you do need to split the two components.

For the squad run you'll have the pace directed, so the main thing there is conserving your capacity ready for the individual performance. The personal best effort is an opportunity for you to perform to the standard, and demonstrate a personal commitment to giving it your all. I would anticipate someone who has the intent of finishing Commando course to be doing somewhat better than 10 minutes for the personal best effort.

The best answer depends on the time you have available, but as Sonic (US Air Force) mentions it's about time on your feet. Given the need to prepare for CTC as well you've got several elements that you need to think about:

Get to the stage where your routine training runs are at least 10Km, either steady pace or speed sessions with a decent warm up and cool down.
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    im 40 years old, was out of shape for many years weighing as much as 345 and doing no real physical activity. I still am carying extra at 6'2" 215lb, i ran a 5 k in 22:20 last year after running for a year give or take. When i started i couldnt run 5 k. Keep pushing and you'll get it.
  • red_90
    red_90 Posts: 28 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm no expert, but when I ran intervals, tempo runs and gentle recovery runs on the days inbetween - my speed and endurance improved considerably in about 3 months. Still nowhere near 22:30 though. It might be worth adding some intervals and tempo runs to you schedule.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Definitely doable and probably won't take that long if you stay committed.

I've dropped about 45 seconds per mile from my usual 4-mile run in the last 2 months--from 8:15 splits to 7:30--simply by putting the time in and pushing myself. I was training for a half marathon and the longer distance runs really helped my speed in the shorter runs. Interval runs/speedwork/running hills are all good, too.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    your best bet is to get out and run with runners. join a local running club, and run with them. you will get dropped in your first runs, but thats okay. try hard, and work hard, and before you know it you'll be able to keep up.