SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING SLEEVE OR BYPASS SURGERY

I know these are two radical treatments. The years race by and yes, I lost weight while participating here a couple of years ago, but it has all come back...with a vengeance.

It seems my whole life has been a battle with weight issues.

Now those issues are compounded with 'addiction' to concentrated carbs and 'secret' eating. The co-morbidity situation has reached critical mass.

I have Diabetes Type II, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and Gawd awful GERD. I have also been diagnosed with Hypothyroidism, Bi-polar Type 1, depression, cardio-vascular disease, Diverticulosis, Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Multiple Sclerosis (which limits my exercise options).

Good GAWD...I'm scaring myself. :o:)

I am 58m years old, 5'6" and weigh 227 lbs.

I am on here to track my eating and exercise habits to see where the problems lie. This is also required for pre-surgery nutrition information and counseling.

About four months out, I'm just getting my ducks in a row now.

I am still in my 'investigative' stage, but I don't see any other path at this time.

I'm scared.

Has anyone here done either one of these surgeries, or know others who have?

Replies

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Honestly I would be a little surprised if a doctor would do that as you are not morbidly obese. I am also 5'6" and had hit 204 as a max weight in the past. Many of your health issues are still going to require you to watch what you are eating, not just how much you are eating. Also since you've been successful in the past at weight loss with diet and exercise only that would likely lower your chances of being a candidate for it. I could be entirely wrong about that, but I understand them to be quite stringent about who qualifies.

I have diverticulosis (diagnosed at 28) and likely IBS as well. I know those will never truly stop being a problem for me regardless of my weight, hence why my diet is so important. Specifically my fiber intake. I'm also awaiting results for possible PCOS, prediabetes, and thyroid issues (familial history of hypothyroidism). My dietary habits may become even more important come Friday.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    keep in mind, if you get surgery, you will still have to change your eating habits and you will still have to workout (after the surgery to make the surgery effective). the surgery is merely a tool that guides you along the way. you still have to put in the hard work.

I have no thyroid (hypothyroidism - had thyroid cancer), anemia, sleep apnea, had high blood pressure, have kidney disease (caused by the high bp), high anxiety, and other complications. I was still able to lose 110 pounds with changing my eating habits and working out alone. (gained 10 back but losing it and more)

surgery is a huge decision. if you can make the changes (healthy eating & working out) ahead of time, you'll be far better off in the long run going into the surgery and perhaps not even need it.

ps. i started off weighing 284. not even close to your weight. 5'6.5" so we're about the same height.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    I agree with Prize... no reputable doctor would do life-altering surgery for someone who's only overweight.

Do your research, look into the MFP groups which discuss those surgeries, learn about the permanent lifelong problems they cause. (Digestion, absorption of nutrients, malnutrition, bowel problems worse than you already have, restricted eating...)

Before you do something so drastic, try the regular way (control calories in, increase exercise), and try using appetite suppressant medicine (for a few months at most).
    Also get into counseling for the addiction / binging / secret eating issues. You're going to have to deal with them sooner or later, because if you find someone to do the surgery on you you won't be able - physically able - to eat so much, or you'll rupture your stomach (or cause yourself to puke, which causes its own problems).

The blood pressure, cardio disease, and cholesterol will respond well to exercise. Walk. Walk in water if you can.
    Cholesterol is also of course strongly influenced by diet. Eat less animal-based food, more plant-based food, less alcohol (affects triglicerides), and fewer carbs (affects triglicerides).

51637601.png
  • blissfuldrake
    blissfuldrake Posts: 128 Member
    Believe me, I have been searching and researching.As far as qualifying...yes, I do qualify, though I'm on the lower end of the BMI scale.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/weight-loss/in-depth/gastric-bypass-surgery/art-20046318?pg=1

I haven't yet contacted my insurance companies. If they don't cover it, or if my deductible is too high, I won't be able to afford it anyway.

I'm glad, in my own way, that in the best case scenario, the operation would be 4 to 5 months out. I'm doing a 'test run' on my capacity and ability to change my lifestyle. The Registered Dietician suggested that I eat 5 - 6 times a day, but only one cup of food per meal. Small bites, chewed to a paste consistency, and no drinking 1/2 hour after and before a meal. This is HARD! to do. I really have to concentrate to get the food chewed to a paste without giving in to the swallow reflex. Try it, you'll see what I mean. I'm not happy about the restriction on the water/drink intake, either. Concentrate on protein, she said. It is hard to get enough protein.

So many changes...but it is better to know ahead of time if I can tolerate them or not. The deal breaker, though...I can't read while I'm reading. :smiley:

I'm going back to the Y for water aerobics...even though I hate peeling the wet swimsuit off my body. Ugh...what a hassle...but they won't let us skinny-dip...LOL ?The MS, with all the balance, gait and fatigue issues pretty much knocks out walking a lot. I do have good days, though, when I can 'speed walk Walmart' maybe.

I am currently working with a psychiatrist and trying to find a 'food addiction' support group or group therapy. I don't really eat that MUCH, but what gives me the problems are the concentrated carbs...candy, syrup, frosting, etc, etc. The irony is that I carry a pouch of icing with me in case I 'crash' from a blood sugar low. Had a para-medic recommend this to me. She said that they actually keep some (the frosting in a tube type) in the ambulance for the crashed diabetics. Brings them right out of it. I've even had to use some of it once before. I must say, it is very effective. It works better than OJ.

I thank you all for your comments. They certainly have given me food for thought.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    I have a friend who had a lap band done. She weighs as much or more now than she did a few years ago when she had it done. Why? Because she didn't use the tool. If you aren't ready to use the tool, I'm not sure how it would help.

I technically qualified, too, when I started out (205lb and 5'2"), but I couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money and put myself through surgery at my weight. I think the qualification levels are too low. I've gotten to a healthy BMI in 9 months the old fashioned way - eat less, move more

No offense if you decide to do the surgery or to anyone who does....(for some people far more overweight than you or I, it's a lifesaving thing), I don't see the point if you can't manage your cravings and "secret" eating now. I think if you try out what the dietician is telling you to do and follow it, you might find you'll lose weight without the surgery. If you decide to go for the surgery, good luck and I hope it works well for you.
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    First of all if you are considering it you have to go into a weight loss clinic. They don't just set you up for surgery the next day. They will most likely set you up with a healthy diet, and monitor you closely and if you are still not losing weight then MAYBE consider surgery. You are on the low end of what they would even consider. I have been going to a clinic for help with my diet, and the monitoring really helps me keep on track. I started off at 225, this morning my scale hit 202. If you honestly need help, talk to them but don't start demanding surgery because you can do it without that, you just have to be dedicated to a program.
  • jennifermcornett
    jennifermcornett Posts: 159 Member
    If you're spending the time to change your lifestyle right now as a "test run," why don't you just change your lifestyle to something that makes sense and is long-lasting...? Just don't see the need for surgery, despite (and maybe even because of) your numerous health conditions.
  • imsohappy5
    imsohappy5 Posts: 17
    edited November 2014
    I am very pro these surgeries. I am 5'7" and 130 pounds.

I have 4 friends, under the age of 40, that have had these surgeries. They are now healthy, active, eat well and exercise regularly. They have lost 60, 80, 100 and 150 (ish) pounds. I see what a difference it has made in all aspects of their lives and they literally saved their own lives. So yes, I say get it. My only concern is that you are not actually obese. Overweight yes, but I have read that you have to be a solid 100 pounds overweight. Other than that, go for it!!
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    I started the process back in 2012, and I really DID need it at the time - I was 5'4" and 343 pounds, BMI of 60.8 - but my doctor said that she thought I could do it on my own. She made a "deal" with me - if I lost 30 pounds, on my own, she would sign the consent forms to go ahead with it.

I made it as far as the last counseling session. By that time I'd lost 35 pounds through diet and exercise, on my own - and I changed my mind. Why? I still don't know, really. Maybe it's because both of my cousins went through it (same doctor), and my aunt went through it, and to this day only my aunt has managed to keep the weight off. My cousins have lifelong issues with keeping food down, getting sick from overeating, not having enough time to exercise. One of them is at the exact weight she started with - maybe even heavier. Maybe it's the knowledge that they have to take tons of vitamin supplements - forever - the rest of their lives. Maybe it's the knowledge of exactly what the surgery entails - that mess is permanent. You can't reverse it, you can't change your mind. Once it's done, it's OVER.

It scared me enough that I decided to keep going on my own as long as I could. 100+ pounds later, here I am. Am I the weight I want to be? Not even close - I'm still 5'4" and 237 as of this writing and I still yo-yo up and down. But I'm not quitting. I'm not even going there.

If you really want to do it, I wish you luck with it - with your comorbidity, they may approve you for it, even on the low end of the BMI requirements. But this is a big, big step - they're going to make you jump through hoops for it. They're going to make you do psychiatric sessions (to make sure that you're mentally fit for it), they're going to check out every single inch of your body, the whole process is going to be uncomfortable from start to finish. It may be worth it to you, it may not.

• I had the gastric sleeve surgery 2 years ago. I had lost 114 pounds and unfortunately have regained about 15 pounds. It is not a magic cure you have to change what and how much you eat. But if you vary from what you are told you can and should eat the weight will come back. If you have any other questions or just need to talk I am here for you. <3
  • GrammyPeachy
    GrammyPeachy Posts: 1,723 Member
    I started out on a test run. I was thinking about WLS , but I was scared also. That was back on June 5th. Now I've lost almost 70 pounds and I know this is the route for me. Thank goodness! :D

35647797.png

• cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Make sure you really think through this. Unless you change your issues with food (addiction and secret eating as you put it)… WLS won't do you any good. And unless you change your eating habits… chances are WLS won't do much for your health either, considering you really aren't obese. But chances are great that if you can change your issues with food and your eating habits… you can lose weight and help with a lot of those health problems.

If you've lost weight before… you can do it on your own. The weight comes back because you didn't stick with it and change your eating habits. And the same will apply even with WLS. It isn't a guaranteed fix. It's a major deal and still has to be accompanied with a lifestyle change if it's going to be effective.

No judgement on people who go this route. WLS has a place and can be very helpful for many people. But from what you've said, with all your health problems and food issues, and your current weight… I would think very carefully before you go this route. It may not be in your best interest.
  • christylhall
    christylhall Posts: 7
    edited November 2014
    The primary benefit for gastric bypass etc. is in reducing or eliminating comorbidities, in other words serious weight-related health problems like diabetes, hypertension, etc. Weight loss surgery is the only treatment known to put type II diabetes in remission. Many people do not lose as much weight as they would like to "look thin," but surgery can still be a huge benefit to their overall health.

I had surgery in April, and I lost 75 pounds before surgery and 70 pounds after (so far). That is great, but my BMI is still quite high, maybe higher than yours is currently. However, even if I don't lose any more weight I consider surgery a success because my blood pressure is now very healthy (I had been taking two blood pressure meds and immediately after surgery my doctor told me to stop taking them because I didn't need them any more), I have eliminated my sleep apnea, and I am no longer at risk of losing my mobility or becoming diabetic. I had a doctor tell me the other day that I am "very healthy," which is something I had not heard for a long long time. So even though your BMI is not as high as many surgery patients, I think a doctor would probably tell you that you are a good candidate for surgery with the health problems you list. With GERD, you are probably going to want bypass rather than sleeve. Talk to your doctor.

Check your insurance. Many insurance plans specifically exclude weight loss surgeries. It would not be fun to get your mind set on surgery only to be told that your insurance won't cover it.

If you want to hear about the pros and cons of surgery from someone who is an obesity researcher, check out these articles:
    http://www.drsharma.ca/obesity-why-i-support-bariatric-surgery.html
    http://www.drsharma.ca/obesitywhy-bariatric-surgery-can-fail-part-1.html
  • Allterrain_Lady
    Allterrain_Lady Posts: 421 Member
    I take a strong stand against those surgeries. And won't rely on awful stories about how it can wreck your body and mind.
    What you have to consider here is not what surgery offers you but what you'll have to do to make it a success. To lose weight, at any rate, by any means, you'll have to reduce your calories intake to a more or less small deficit.
    Reading your post, it seems like that it's the part your struggling with. The emotional eating. This DO NOT go away with anesthesia.
    It is still possible to overeat with a stappled stomach. It's painful and counter productive but one can do it.
    I haven't had the surgery, never even considered it an option for me.
    Because I know I could have filled up my stappled stomack with the tiny chocolate candies I used to binge on and go over the calories limits daily.
    I'm pretty sure that I could have GAIN weight after bypass.
    What's at stake here is your relationship with food, emotions and your own body.

I get that your health requires drastic measures ASAP but you have no idea of what you're able to do, yet. Without risks, after effects, recovery time induced by surgery.

Basically, bypass surgery is a way to extort huge amount of money from people to make them do what they're already capable to do.
    Instead of educating them.

I'm pretty sure you can reclaim your life and body and mind and hapiness without this surgery.

Here if you need me

Vanessa
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Woomytron wrote: »
    First of all if you are considering it you have to go into a weight loss clinic. They don't just set you up for surgery the next day. They will most likely set you up with a healthy diet, and monitor you closely and if you are still not losing weight then MAYBE consider surgery. You are on the low end of what they would even consider. I have been going to a clinic for help with my diet, and the monitoring really helps me keep on track. I started off at 225, this morning my scale hit 202. ...

This is a really great idea! Why not pay to be monitored by a weight loss clinic instead, to hold you accountable? Your insurance may pay for this, but I highly doubt it will cover surgery at your weight, especially given potential serious complications with your health issues.

Good luck! Track your calories in, calories out, join a support group on here if you want, and keep reaching out for support!

Logging: 140 Day Streak
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    If you couldn't stick with following MFP, the surgery won't be any better. MFP, weight loss surgery, they are tools. You make them work. I've heard of so many people who had lost a lot of weight, only to gain it back because they have a bad relationship with food.

At 227, you may qualify by the Mayo Clinic's standard, but an actual doctor may say no. Actually, they SHOULD say no.

I was where you are. I started at 228, and at 5'3, that doesn't look good. I was desperate. I tried SparkPeople many times. I did fad diet after fad diet. I took supplements. "nothing" worked. But actually, it was me. I wasn't ready for it, even though I wanted it. I had considered gaining weight to be better qualified for a lap band. But then reality kicked in and I figured if I had to gain weight for something and further complicate my health, it wasn't worth the surgery.

I went on vacation one summer. It was hot, disgusting, we did a lot of walking, and I was a big girl. I hated shorts but I had to wear them. It was 20 degrees more than I'm used to there. It was HOT. I was hot, cranky and I hated life.

When I got home, I found MFP. It wasn't a Monday, it wasn't the beginning of a new month. I just did it. And I'm still here over 2 years later and over 60lbs lost. I could have lost more I'm sure, I've been stuck in my own way for a year now. BUT I'm happy now. I have a great relationship with food.

I was ready, and it worked.
  • I'm surprised a doctor would even consider surgery an option for you. With the weight you are at, a history of diet and exercise working for you, metal heath, age, and other health concerns I doubt any surgeon would go near you.

I had gastric by-pass in 2003. I was considered morbidly obese. My max weight was 547 pounds. At that point in my life this surgery was life saving. I went through a year of mental health testing, diet plans, medical screenings, and sleep studies. After all of that I was approved for the surgery. I was so large that laproscopic surgery was not an option. At this time 2 patients in 100 died from this type of surgery. I have a 9 inch scar running down my belly. I was hospitalized for 7 days and was home-bound for 3 months.

After careful planing and exhausting all other options for myself, I chose to have surgery. I'm very happy that I did. If I did not have surgery I'm positive that I would not be here today. To date, I have lost a total of 247 lbs. This is not the most I have lost (or I wouldn't be on this site trying to stay health). You must realize that this is not a quick fix for weight loss. It is a tool that you must be aware of daily. You have to change your entire life-style. You must also have realistic expectations. I weighed 547 pounds, I will never weight 200 pounds and have six pack abs. I will always be a big man, but I'm happy that I'm living a healthier life.

My suggestion for you is to really reconsider. You are by no means morbidly obese. Before you find a doctor that will gladly do the surgery for money, get a few second opinions. Talk to someone in mental health, and see a dietitian. There is plenty of support available here and in most communities. Remember, surgery is not a fix-all. It takes desire and will-power regardless if you have surgery or not. Good luck in your journey and feel free to contact me if you have any questions about gastric by-pass.
  • I've done bypass surgery a year ago and let me tell you the hard cold truth: IT'S NOT A MAGICAL TREATMENT.
    Now, let me tell you why I said that. You said you have addiction to food and likes to secret eating. Diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc are nothing if you don't treat these compulsions. Believe me, been there, done that. Hell, sometimes I still do.
    You WILL gain weight again, doesnt matter if you are eating tiny portions ou large portions if all you eat is junk food.

It's not the easy path. You're not going to have the surgery and BAM! Thin and healthy. You're going to have the most awful food you have ever tasted for around 2 months (depends on the doctors and the person, can be less) then, slowly, you're gonna start eating solids and normal food. Forget soda, foget cake, forget chicken nuggets, sweets and fried food mostly. If you're part of the lucky ones then after a year more or less you might eat those things again without feeling like you're dying (the infamous Dumping Syndrome).
    After a year, in my personal experience, I can eat mostly everything. From time to time I find a kind of food or a dish that makes me want to puke my insides out but hey, i signed up for that.

Now that's part of the truth about food, a doctor is better trained to explain all that, I'm just telling my personal exprience. The second part is... guess what?!
    YES! You still have to exercise.
    A. LOT.
    I started like everybody after 2 months: walks around the block and easy stuff. On 3rd month I tried the gym, I thought I was ready. I blacked out. Literally.
    Too much exercise and not enough food. Learned the hard way. Then I tried aqua aerobics, it worked great. On 5th month I tried muay thai 5 days/week for 1h. I never blacked out during the classes but I came really damn close. First 2 months I had to stop every 5 minutes because I kept seeing black dots. On 6th month, the doctor changed my diet and it became a little bit better.

After a year I had to quit my beloved one because I lost too much weight and was about to go underweight. That's because when you have this kind of surgery you don't get to choose if you lose fat or muscle because the weightloss is insane you lose both of them. In fact, you might lose more muscle than fat. And that keeps you in the risky zone. You still might have a heart attack being thin.
    And that was me 4 months ago. A "false" thin. I don't know the name in english but there's an exam that check the % of fat, water and muscle on your body. That thing I have to do every 6 months. Then, back to the gym, I go!
    That's where I am now. I gained around 4lbs which made me cry in my room for about a week (oh yeah. Have I mentioned that this surgery messes up with your head? Because I was too scared of gaining weight again. Except it was muscle and not fat. All cool now.)

That's just what happened to me. Talk to people who has done the surgery, lots of them. Talk to the doctors. Just do it if you're 1005% sure. There's no coming back and the side effects are many, you're the one who is going to face them.
    I did not tell you all that to make you give up. Hell, if you ask me I'd have done it all over again. But, PLEASE, take care of yourself if you choose this path. For everything you hold dear, do exactly as your doctors say. Not a portion of food more or a portion less. EXACTLY as they say.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    I agree with everyone that is seems like the surgery sounds like it may not be a good option for you. You state that you've lost before but have regained due to secret eating (I'm so with you on that, and it's something I still struggle with). Weightloss surgery is just a tool, and you will still struggle with secret eating. You may think that it won't affect you as much because your stomach will be smaller, but it can have devastating results on your health.

My mom had the surgery and did not address her eating issues. She regained the weight she lost (not all of it, but a lot), but in addition she has a lot of other problems. Even though she has a smaller stomach, she will try to eat more food than she can handle (again, this is a mental thing), and she'll end up puking the food back up. Over extended periods of time, this can damage your throat and teeth. And it isn't something just getting used to the size of your stomach (I'm sure everyone has an adjustment period), she still struggles with this years later.

In addition, she can now eat far more than two tablespoons of food at a time (where she originally was after the surgery) because she has stretched her stomach out. Plus, she's not good at following the meal plan, and so she lost a lot of her hair due to vitamin deficiencies, and she has a lot of "intestinal problems".

Most of her problems are her mindset of how she approached the surgery. She saw it as a solution, not a tool for weight loss. She does not regularly go to the gym, and she does no weight bearing exercises. In fact, she was sad that she regained a lot of the weight, and instead of trying to adjust her lifestyle, she had a "revision" to the surgery and essentially had the surgery again.

in my opinion, you really need to address the reasons for why you put on weight before you attempt to "fix" the problem with surgery. And while the internet may say that you technically qualify for weight loss surgery, that does not mean that a surgeon will agree. Many of them will have their patients lose weight before the surgery. For a lot of super obese, it's a safety precaution because surgery is very risky when you are that large. However, a lot of them use it as a test/guide to see if you're able to follow a diet plan and how committed you are. If they were to do that with you and you were able to lose 20lbs, you'd likely fall under the threshold of people who qualify for the surgery. And I definitely wouldn't shop around for any doctor willing to do it.