Fish Out of Water (and on my plate)

Options
I'm not a fan of fish. I can't get past the after taste. You know, when the taste/smell goes through your nostrils. I've tried Salmon and Talapia. Cod was recently recommended.

Anyone have a recipe or suggestion to get the fish out of my fish?

Replies

• kimberlyAjohnson
    kimberlyAjohnson Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I HATE fishy tasting fish, and salmon is one of the worst. Maybe try cod, and I'm a fan of grouper also. Mahi mahi is pretty good, too.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    You would probably like many of the "white fish" - Cod, whiting, flounder, maybe pollock..........

I love, love, love fish!!!
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Fresh fish should never taste fishy.
  • JatieKo621
    JatieKo621 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I work at a seafood restaurant, and whenever people say they don't like "fishy" fish, I usually recommend Sole. It is a white, moist, medium flake fish that is similar to Tilapia. A lot of people enjoy it and it doesn't have a strong taste.

Me, on the other hand, love ALL fish! Hamachi is one of my faves as is Ahi Tuna. Mmmmm delish.
  • Plumpqt
    Plumpqt Posts: 156
    Options
    I am italian and was forced to eat cod it is super fishy do not eat it you will not like it, I HATE fish but I recently tried halibut and it was good I actually liked it, it wasnt fishy to me at all... hope this helps
  • kkddmom
    kkddmom Posts: 14
    Options
    Great suggestions! Keep'em coming.
  • JatieKo621
    JatieKo621 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Fresh fish should never taste fishy.

This is true as well. Fresh fish won't have a smell (other than smelling similar to the ocean) but it won't be strong or offensive. I do understand what you mean though- salmon is a stronger tasting fish than some.

Cod is very oily-therefore can be stronger tasting.

Sole, Halibut, Chilean Sea Bass, Tilapia, Mahi-Mahi = all good choices.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Salmon is the worst fish for people who do not like FISH! Try halibut or mahi mahi. My easiest prep is to slather on a tablesppon of light italian dressing and sprinkle panko bread crumbs on top. A bit of salt and plenty of pepper. Pop into a 400 oven for 15-20 minutes and it is YUM!
  • ropsnik
    ropsnik Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Try Monk fish (it tastes like Lobster). Halibut and Tilapia are also very good and not fishy tasting.
  • crazyquilter36
    Options
    Haddock is a very mild fish and the only one my kids would ever eat. They had grouper when they went to Florida and that was close in taste and not fishy. Also striper is very good and mild. There is a recipe on allrecipes for broiled parmesan tilapia that is excellant and you can use with any of these fish.