Weightlifting Resources

Options
Hi! For those of you who have your lifting routines down--can you direct me to your favorite books/websites/apps/etc for weightlifting routines? Would love to have some dedicated plans and am having trouble finding some straightforward resources. Thank you!

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    What are your goals for lifting? If you are looking for a general conditioning program, a strength program or a body building program you will want to look at different programs and resources. What did you have in mind?
  • TheRunAround
    TheRunAround Posts: 6
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I suppose general conditioning; I realize there are a lot of nuances out there but hoping for a routine that will make me (1) stronger and (2) have slight evidence of more muscle definition.

I'm a big runner but have more time right now and wanted to work on strength too. I typically will do a few sets of biceps/triceps/shoulder/calf/squatting exercises when I have free weights to play with at the gym, but wanted something more structured for more thorough strength-training workouts. Something to be sure I'm hitting more muscle groups and can keep better track of my progress.

And thank you!
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I started strong lifts about two months ago and I'm loving it - and it's super easy! I've noticed a difference in my body and I'm squatting more than my body weight! They have step by step instructions on the website and a nifty app for your smart phone.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts, Nia Shanks Beautiful Badass, Strong Curves, New Rules of Lifting
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    As for books, Starting strength, or New Rules of lifting, both have programs but starting strength is a much less complicated one.
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    One website I like is http://www.dumbbell-exercises.com/
    It has some really good exercises that you can do using only dumbbells... I still use it to mix up different exercises into my route.....dumbbells are great for the beginner... as you get stronger you can move to other things...
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hi! For those of you who have your lifting routines down--can you direct me to your favorite books/websites/apps/etc for weightlifting routines? Would love to have some dedicated plans and am having trouble finding some straightforward resources. Thank you!

Self-education is a great start. Congrats!

Books: I'd recommend Jim Stoppani's "Encyclopedia of Muscle & Strength." Stoppani gives an overview of workouts and programming and exercises, plus an a pretty good synopsis of strength training in general. Otherwise, check out Mark Rippetoe "Starting Strength" as well.

Apps: Bodyspace. They have a couple different popular routines that have all the programming figured out for you. Jamie Eason, Jim Stoppani, Chris Gethin, etc. Find a program, add it to your body calendar, and record your weights/sets. Fitness Buddy is really nice too and that links to the Argus app. Fitness Buddy has programs you can follow. It costs a few bucks for the full app. They have workouts for men and women and for different sports and goals.

Websites: Many. I use Google alerts on topics that I am interested in then bookmark it since I do my own programming. For example, I find something interesting like spider curls and they look really groovy, I will bookmark that page (or video) and dump into a folder like "Workout Ideas". I have other folders like "Tips" or or "Methodologies" and "Tools." (How to measure body fat. Metabolic Calculator, Strength Standards, TDEE calculator. ) Likewise with YouTube, when I find a useful idea that I may want to incorporate later I dump it into a playlist.

Otherwise, Stronglifts.com, New Rules, is usually the standard answer around here for the neophyte lifter.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    For a good starting program for general conditioning I would go with New Rules of Lifting for Women. SS and 5x5 are good too but aimed more at strength and power lifting.

Bodybuilding.com is a good resource but just be aware that it has a BB emphasis but does have a good program section and exercise database.
  • TheRunAround
    Options
    woohoo! you guys are amazing. thanks for helping me focus my reading :) put a hold on some of those books at my local library and reading up on those sites & apps