Looking for advice on getting of emotional eating and to 185lb

Options
I have been on the diet role-a-coaster for 20 years. I just finished a 1/2 marathon and lost 36 lbs since July. But I am stuck again and looking to go from 245lb to 185lb. Emotional eating from stress is my weak point. I am training for a full marathon now to run on April 18. So any advice on all this is welcome. I know I need to be lighter then 245lb to finish the marathon and save my knees. I just love running. Can't help it.

Replies

• Travis_2
    Travis_2 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    It seems you already know your trigger. Search for ways to combat it. When you start reaching for _______ stress food, think to yourself. "I know what's going on here..." Then do a course correction
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    You might benefit a lot from a meditation practice. A great introduction would be a Mindfulness-based stress reduction class (MBSR). This will help you increase your self-knowledge a lot.

The other part is that you need to make sure that you eat enough, have a pretty good routine going, and have a good balance of nutrients. Set a food schedule and then put away all the food inbetween your planned meals and snacks. The habit to build is waiting until it is your snack or meal time. If you are getting too hungry in between then either increase the size of the earlier meal or add in another planned snack.
  • jesus122188
    jesus122188 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also do a lot of stress eating especially at night, I start to crave sugar and once I start to eat its like I can't stop!! I have lost 75 pounds since last march and I'm very fearful going to put it back on plus some, I had very good self control for the first 6 months but now it seems I've lost all self control!! Any words of wisdom? I'm also reaching out for friends to support me on this journey, thanks - Katherine
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I am a "getting back into it" runner. I am not immune to emotional eating. What has helped and this is a small thing is making sure i have the "right breakfast" (I eat oatmeal) and that really helps me get started on the right way.
  • GoBrianGo
    GoBrianGo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    No comment on your situation but I have found these two sites have information and a perspective that helps me. Keep your tool box full.
    http://www.anxietydepressionhealth.org/cognitive-therapy.htm
    http://www.addictionsandrecovery.org/recovery-skills.htm
  • carafes
    carafes Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Coming from someone who has been an emotional eater for most of my young life I found that working towards self awareness & self love is what I needed to do. I have worked (therapy, journaling, positive self talk, acceptance) to love me and accept me and identified WHY I was turning to food. Often times our mind is what sabotages our journey. Address what has led you down this path and find away to make your experiences build you up rather than take you down = win win