can i lose weight on 1800 cals?

Options
Monna2
Monna2 Posts: 100 Member
Is it possible to lose weight on 1800 cals while being sedentaey?
I'm 265 and my maintainance suggestion is 2300 When im sesentery. So, is 1800 good for me?

Replies

• debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    how many calories did MFP calculate for you to lose 1lb per week?
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Probably. Keep in mind that BMR, etc. is an estimation. And though you're sedentary, you can still make an effort to move more. I believe that every little bit helps. Doesn't mean you have to train for a marathon, but look for ways to add activity into your routine.

Do 1800 for 4 weeks. Set some goals for yourself on activity. And then evaluate and adjust as needed.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Most likely, yes. But after you have lost some you will likely need to be less sedentary or eat less.
  • MaxPower0102
    MaxPower0102 Posts: 2,654 Member
    Options
    Watch your carbs, too. Keep your carbs to a minimum and your body will burn fat cells for energy.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    What StaciMarie1974 said!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Most likely. The only way to know is to try for about 4 weeks, then compare your average intake to what your average loss per week was (this will actually help you determine your TDEE).

The easiest thing to do however is to plug your stats into MFP, pick 1-2lbs per week loss, stick with it for a couple weeks and see if your losing at the rate you set your profile too.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    At your current weight, yes. As you lose you will have to cut back though. If I ate 1800 I would gain, and fast, at that. Let MFP calculate that stuff for you.
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Everyone is different and the MFP calculations can be inaccurate but I started at 253 and lost pretty steadily on 1920 calories a day+exercise that I ate most of back. I am female, btw and I did cut carbs by about 70% of what I used to eat. I initially set MFP to lose .5 a week because I'd rather lose slowly so I don't have to feel deprived and so my mind has enough time to adjust to changes in appearance.

As I lose I do recalculate. Now I have MFP telling me to eat 1650 and set it to lose 1 pound cause...why not? I figured out how to eat and avoid hunger. I still lose between .5-1 pound most weeks and I take occasional breaks and eat at maintenance if my week is too full/busy to deal. I always eat a high-cal/high fiber/high protein/fairly high fat sit down and enjoy breakfast: that is the foundation of my weight loss right now. It makes me feel like my whole day is chill and I am not like...chasing my hunger and trying to fix it with various random snacks throughout the day.

Oh, and if you are sedentary it will be generally a lot harder to lose. Have you considered mild exercise to start out? Even if you have an injury it should be possible to do something. You will be a lot happier if you do, even if you feel scared or like you hate exercising initially.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I started at 265, and have never eaten less than 1800 gross (I use TDEE). I've lost 90 lbs, and am currently losing on 2100.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Monna2 wrote: »
    Is it possible to lose weight on 1800 cals while being sedentaey?
    I'm 265 and my maintainance suggestion is 2300 When im sesentery. So, is 1800 good for me?

I do.

(Actually, I just dropped down to 1700 a couple of weeks ago but was eating 1820 when I was around 260)

58841349.png
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I started at 260lbs. I'm comfortably losing at 1700 cals/day. (In reality, I average 1680 over my entire diet so far), though I swim five days a week.
  • Geeznie713
    Options
    Thanks for asking! I first started at 1380 and I just couldn't keep it up. I was starving!!! I am losing at 1800 and am actually satisfied but was wondering if I would keep losing. Thanks for the post got a lot of good answers
  • Monna2
    Options
    Most likely, yes. But after you have lost some you will likely need to be less sedentary or eat less.
    JTick wrote: »
    I started at 265, and have never eaten less than 1800 gross (I use TDEE). I've lost 90 lbs, and am currently losing on 2100.

Could you plz tell us more about your diet and exercise?
  • Monna2
    Options
    Thank you guys for all your answers.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

I work an office job. Sit on my butt all day. I run 20-25 miles/week and lift 3x's per week. If I'm not working out, I'm pretty much on my butt. I eat whatever fits my calories...I get about 130g protein/65g fat/and the rest carbs. I eat all the food and all the yummy things. I weigh my food on a food scale, and log every bite.
  • Monna2
    Options
    [qujote="JTick;30314939"]

I work an office job. Sit on my butt all day. I run 20-25 miles/week and lift 3x's per week. If I'm not working out, I'm pretty much on my butt. I eat whatever fits my calories...I get about 130g protein/65g fat/and the rest carbs. I eat all the food and all the yummy things. I weigh my food on a food scale, and log every bite.
    [/quote]

And how long did it take you to lose 90 pounds?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!