SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING SLEEVE OR BYPASS SURGERY

Options

Replies

• ComingUntrue
    ComingUntrue Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Get properly tested for Lyme disease and all tick borne co-infections! Watch the film Under Our Skin on YouTube (it's free there). If you're not at the very least eating gluten free then making that change alone can drastically improve your inflammation issues.

If you have underlying diseases, which I suspect you may, like myself, then surgery is not the answer.
  • mfleeg
    mfleeg Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My mother in law had this done at about 230-240 because she had diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure. It wasn't the weight, it was the co-morbidities that allowed her to be a candidate for the surgery. However, even though she is doing so well now, it was really scary post-surgery because she had a lot of medical issues in the two weeks immediately after the surgery. I honestly think she could have made the lifestyle change herself without the surgery, but I think psychologically the surgery is helping her stick to the rules.
  • ComingUntrue
    ComingUntrue Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    PS. I was 401 lbs on June 2nd. I'm 27 years old and diagnosed with a massive laundry list of problems. Turns out, the root cause is Lyme and several co-infections, reactivating viruses, toxic mold poisoning, vitamin deficiencies and stage 3 adrenal fatigue. There are still major hormonal imbalances and PCOS plus type 2 diabetes issues, but now I'm feeling very hopeful because eating Paleo lets me function again. I could've done the surgery thing. I was preparing for it until my illnesses got far worse. I was in a wheelchair.. now I'm keeping up with my housework, zipping around, cooking... feeling good because my brain isn't depressed and inflamed.

Lyme attacks the thyroid. Is your vitamin D low? MS is usually Lyme. My good friend who trains doctors for a living was diagnosed with MS. Years later learned it's actually Lyme (white lesions present in Lyme brains too). IBS, CFS, Fibro, ALS and many other conditions can actually be Lyme. Please investigate this possibility for yourself.
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Here is a a lifestyle change that worked for me: http://www.drfuhrman.com/

Several people report loss of addictions and improvement of many health issues on a nutritarian diet....
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    you are using as a quick fix to try to fix all your medical issues....this will not do that. You still will have all the conditions and now you will be tired as hell from the surgery and in a bunch of pain. You are not that over-weight. People are far heavier than you and lost it on their own. You just need to step back and realize you can do this on your own.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Turns out, the root cause is Lyme and several co-infections, reactivating viruses, toxic mold poisoning, vitamin deficiencies and stage 3 adrenal fatigue. ... I was in a wheelchair.. now I'm keeping up with my housework, zipping around, cooking... feeling good because my brain isn't depressed and inflamed.

Wow... I'm so glad you found a doctor that helped you figure things out and have discovered an eating plan that has improved your life.

Thank you for sharing your story. I think it will be very inspirational to those on the forums who may be in similar, if not identical, situations. Best of luck on your journey to a healthier you! :+1:

• Jenninscotland
    Jenninscotland Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My brother had the lap band surgery years ago and gained all the weight he lost back (even wasted money getting it tightened up a couple of times). My stepfather had the bypass - gained all the weight back and some more! Like a poster noted above, he has stretched his stomach back out. He did this by eating small amounts of the wrong food all day long for a couple of years (he literally never stopped eating it seems) and is now bigger than he was before having the surgery. A cousin also had the bypass surgery and is now underweight with a lot of her hair falling out and other issues due to malnutrition as she cannot keep anything down.

Yes, for the extremely morbidly obese, I would say this could be a good option. For anyone else however, I tend to agree and say to address the underlying issues (psychological) as well as the good old calories in versus out (physical). Take one day at a time - one small little triumph at a time - and believe in yourself.
  • who4fan
    who4fan Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    My Mom had one of the first stomach stapling operations ever done because she was getting hernias all the time. Her doctors claimed she would never have another after her surgery. She nearly died after the first surgery, her incision refused to close and she threw up constantly. She finally healed after a few months but started having severe abdominal pain. They had to redo the surgery again within a year and the same problems occured again. Today, she is still frequently ill, either with severe acid reflux or diarhhea. She never got thin, she did lose over a hundred pounds but stabilized at about 230. Despite the assurances she was given, two years ago she had a strangulated hernia that she had to be rushed into surgery for, and it took her a year to recover, needing a vacuum pump for her incision to close.

Now I know that the surgery has changed over the years and I do know a couple people who have had it and they are well and have kept the weight off. I also know five others who have it and have been in poor health ever since.

I have weighed between 315 and 350 for the last 20 years, but thanks to Nutrisystem and My Fitness Pal, I am down to 290. Surgery was never in my mind. I am sure I qualified, but after seeing so many people with such poor results I would never do it. I will lose this weight, one day at a time, one meal at a time! If I indulge in a big beautiful meal I will just log it, forget it and get back to my plan with the next meal, no guilt, no regrets.

I hope you find the path that is right for you. If you want, friend me. I would love to support you along your journey!
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any surgery myself, but having spoken to someone who has, you really need to get your eating habits sorted before you have the surgery if you are seriously thinking about it. A lot of the time overeating or making poor choices is more of a mental/psychological/emotional thing than it is a physical. Having the surgery won't tackle the root cause of the overeating, and until you do that i wouldn't think there was much point in getting the surgery.

Good luck!
  • duffslove
    duffslove Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    i had gastric sleeve surgery on 3/4/15..im 42, and have been overweight since around the 3rd grade..i have done practically every diet i could in those years..trust me coming from someone that was always looking for the quick fix to my weight problem, i found it for a 20-40 lb loss many times over the years and then always put it back on and felt even worse and ended up even worse in my health. (When i started my weight loss journey this time, i had comorbidities i didnt have before, ie: found out the day of surgery that i was that day considered a diabetic, sleep apnea, vit d deficient, joint degenerative arthritis from being obese)

When i first started talking to my surgeon and healthcare team, i was sooo ready in my mind....boy was i wrong. After several psych visits in addition to many nutritional visits and surgeon visits and mandatory support groups, we figured out i had a horrible relationship with food, and we have worked to fix it and still are working on it and always will be, but ive got a way better understanding of what ive been doing with food all these years. Now i am in a way better position to deal with the bad ways i used food before and can process it in a healthier way now.

The surgery was easy and eventhough my "new lifetime journey" is still very early, it hasn't been at all something i would consider easy by any means, nor has it been the lazy way out..in my adult life, i have never exercised this much, struggled this hard with "mind cravings" (since i also no longer have the hunger producing hormone called Ghrelin which is produced in the stomach which for me has been recently 95% removed from my body) or worked so hard to make sure im doing what is healthy for my body now..protein shakes taste horrible and are very hard to suck down day after day after day, and water has never been in my mind a lifesaver before, until now when i get horrible sick if i dont get enough in a day. And its really tough to make sure im getting all of my vitamins, calcium chews, water, protein, protein pump inhibitors, anti naseau meds, gall bladder meds(to keep me from getting gall stones) the right type of food in the right amount(very small), exercise, and i can take nothing for my inflammation/arthritis in my knees cuz i can never take Nsaids again..ever.

However, i would do it all again. but i would never again think i was ready for it to be an easy fix. it is anything but easy and is not a fix, its a tool i choose to make into a success for me, and i would never have gotten to that point without really working on my underlying problems with food. i encourage you to do all you can before taking on the gastric sleeve life journey..get to a bariatric Psych, get to a bariatric nutritionist, talk to the surgeon, got to many support groups, and start preparing yourself by doing what is required beforehand and see if youre mentally ready and able to commit to this. Good luck and best wishes in whatever you choose to do in your weightloss journey, may you be successful
  • Thalie5000
    Thalie5000 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Duffslove: How has it been post op thus far? Congratulations on your new journey. I am currently on the waiting list for MGH. Thank you for the insights.
  • duffslove
    duffslove Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thalie5000 wrote: »
    Duffslove: How has it been post op thus far? Congratulations on your new journey. I am currently on the waiting list for MGH. Thank you for the insights.

Thank you! Well, the first few days after surgery for me was kinda rough, but after a week i was doing quite well.Haven't had many issues, except that i am sooo over these protein drinks..lol..(i wish)...1st tip, find some kind of protein powder or premade you really like and stay with it...you'll be using it for a very long time, i have found it a very big waste of money searching for some that i could actually handle drinking this long. i am down 42 lbs in 6 weeks and have gone from a tight 24 pant to a 20..but have also been stalled now for 9 days, where i have been gaining and losing the same 2.5 lbs over and over, but many have said not to be concerned over that, it will happen and see my surgeon tomorrow for my 6 week post op check. i have "felt" my sleeve twice and both times it was when i was switching to a new type of food..full liquid to puree and soft solid to regular food..felt very sick and stuff was coming back up my throat and my surgeon said my sleeve was very tight and to just give it a lil more time, i did and havent had another problem. Good luck to you and best wishes in your own journey coming up

• blissfuldrake
    blissfuldrake Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT!

I did go to the bariactric office and sign up for the surgery. While the date kept being put off time and again (that's a whole 'nother story), I continued with my dietician visits. With attainable goals, practicing eating by post-operative standards and monthly visits, I have managed to lose 58 pounds and am no longer a candidate for surgery. Color me happy.

BTW...I am having YUMMY protein shakes everyday. I use my own recipes. @duffslove Perhaps you are using a brand of protein powder you don't like. That happened to me. I kept trying different powders until I got to my favorite...Premier Protein from Sams Club. I use both the chocolate and vanilla.

Here is the base recipe:

...BULLET OR NINJA PROCESSOR IS NECESSARY FOR BEST RESULTS

ONE SCOOP OF CHOCOLATE OR VANILLA POWDER
    8 OUNCES OF ICE
    6-8 OUNCES OF ALMOND MILK UNSWEETENED VANILLA
    ADD FLAVORING AS DESIRED.

PROCESS UNTIL THE UNIT RUNS SMOOTHLY...MAY TAKE UP TO A MINUTE OR SO. DON'T GIVE IN EARLY.

ORANGE OR LEMON FLAVORS...USE A PACKET OF CRYSTAL LIGHT PER SHAKE (CHOCOLATE ORANGE AND LEMON PIE (USE THE VANILLA FLAVOR FOR THAT) ARE MY FAVORITES

CHOCOLATE MOCHA...ADD 1 TBS OF INSTANT COFFEE...A MORNING BREAKFAST MUST

POWDERED PEANUT BUTTER...AND YES, IT DOES EXIST...ADD TO THE CHOCOLATE SHAKE FOR A REESE 'S TREAT

A REALLY, REALLY RIPE BANANA ADDED TO THE MIX IS YUMMY. OVER-RIPE BANANAS PROVIDE THE BEST FLAVOR

I HAVE ONE SHAKE I MAKE I CALL THE MAPLE NUT GOODIE. I USE MAPLE FLAVORING AND ALMOND EXTRACT WITH VANILLA POWDER.

GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE SHAKE...ADD COCONUT FLAVORING

I'VE BEEN EXPERIMENTING WITH DIFFERENT FLAVOR COMBOS I LOVE. YUM!

IF I get enough motivation, I'll post my recipes.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    OMG, awesome news!!!!!!! Good for you, yay!!!!!!!!!
  • queenliz99
    Options
    bump
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Glad you found what worked for you.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

She has decided against the surgery. You need to read it again. She was thanking the people of MFP.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

She has decided against the surgery. You need to read it again. She was thanking the people of MFP.

I know. And she lost 58 lbs following her dietician. So she found what worked for her. :)

I had to edit it because originally I didn't see the date or the 2nd page, lol.

• queenliz99
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

I know. And she lost 58 lbs following her dietician. So she found what worked for her. :)

I had to edit it because originally I didn't see the date or the 2nd page, lol.

Cool
  • kirdyq
    kirdyq Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    My sister had the sleeve surgery about a year ago. She was about your weight and height, too. Maybe not so many medical issues, but the doctor said that she would likely get them if she continued on her path.

After the surgery she has lost a lot of weight, I think around 80 pounds or so. She now has horrible heartburn and told me the other day she now has GERD. She throws up a LOT.

The thing that frustrates me is that she was at her target weight in college, and she got there through good eating and exercise. Then, after school she had one stressful situation after another, had problems finding employment, etc. She somewhat became withdrawn and depressed and ended up eating herself into a terrible weight situation. Instead of the doctor suggesting that she get to her weight through nutrition and exercise and perhaps some counseling, (from what she told me) he basically told her that it would take her forever to take off the 100+ pounds, so health wise it would be better to do the surgery. She said that he told her otherwise she'd end up with diabetes and couldn't have kids. I say, she got where she needed to once, and she could do it again, naturally! Now she has the effects to live with - a constantly gurgling nasty stomach, and throwing up all the time. It sounds completely miserable to me.

And the thing is, you still have these huge commitments to contend with after the surgery. It's not like it's just you have a surgery and then don't have to worry about anything anymore. You have like next to no stomach left. You need to make sure you get all your nutrition in, get enough protein, vitamins, etc. There is a ton of work and dedication needed. There is a ton of work and dedication needed to lose weight naturally through good nutrition and exercise as well. I wish my sister would have been dedicated to the natural way instead of the surgical route. I see her miserable so often, and I just shake my head. I don't want to say anything because I want to sound supportive to her...but I just feel so bad for her for what she did to her body.