Garmin Vivofit

Options
Has anyone tried the Garmin Vivofit (the one the Biggest Loser contestants use)? If so, what do you think?

Replies

• preeves61
    Options
    I've had my for 10 days. I like it combined - sync - with my fitness pal a great plus. I have not worn it showering, they say waterproof, I've gotten it wet during cleaning activities - no prob. My surprise is how active I am during sleep, when I am sleeping soundly.
  • BuddhaMom74
    Options
    I don't watch the Biggest Loser, but I do have a Vivofit and have worn it every day since mid-August. I quite like it...I have it bundled with the HRM so I can get a more accurate calorie burn. I'm a bit of a data junkie, so I like having all the info available to me through Garmin Connect; which syncs nicely with MFP.
    I began running two months ago and have since purchased the Garmin Forerunner 15 - which has been a beautiful addition to the Vivofit since they both upload to Garmin Connect and compliment each other nicely.
    The things that won me over in the end (as opposed to the FitBit or Jawbone): the one year battery life, waterproof, the display and the capability of pairing with a HRM. There's a new model called the Vivosmart that may be worth having a look at as well.
  • hotchilidamo
    hotchilidamo Posts: 2
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I've got my eye on one of these too. I have the Garmin heart rate strap at the moment so was keen to pair these two up. From what I read in product reviews a lot of people are upset about the strap coming loose. But there does seem to be a solution to this that I've seen mentioned in forums too

Links to more info:
    http://www.bit​belt.biz/store/​c2/Bitbelt_%28G​armin_Vivofit%2​C_Fitbit_Force%​2C_Magic_Band-A​dult%29.html
    https://forums​.garmin.com/sho​wthread.php?774​95-Protect-your​-Vivofit-from-l​oss
  • Jodio2
    Jodio2 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to try it. I work at a desk all day so I like the part that it reminds you to get up and move a little.
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I love mine! I love how it syncs as well. It's easy to use and I love using the chest strap to measure burns. I recommend it for sure!
  • PMB0404
    PMB0404 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I like mine, but with a few caveats: 1) I assumed that the HRM would work in the water, since it was advertised as being waterproof. I didn't understand that it can't transmit data to the Vivo through water, which was disappointing because I do water aerobics 2x a week; 2) the HRM disconnects from the Vivo even out of water fairly often; it seems OK when just walking, but disconnects when I do, for example, my aerobic video workouts. I tried to change the battery, but it doesn't seem to have helped.

The Garmin Connect software is great. It works without any problem with both MFP and with Apple's Health App.
  • KSH120
    KSH120 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For those of you that have the vivofit - I just got one a couple of weeks ago. I love the HRM and have been wearing it during my bootcamp class in the morning. I think it is tracking my calories burned well but when it syncs to MFP it will say something like "KSH120 burned 253 calories doing 35 min of walking 2.0 slow pace" when really I worked my tail off for 35 min. It's a tiny thing, but wondering if any of you have figure out how to put the correct name of the exercise in MFP?
  • dcc56
    dcc56 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I've had mine since June, without the HRM. There has been a recent price drop to $99 I noticed. I paid $139 for mine. I like it because the battery does not need to be charged, it lasts a year and it is easy to sync. It is also a watch...and it nags me with a red line going across the face of it when I am inactive...and then it goes away when I have done some exercise or some walking. It sets goals for me automatically, getting me to move more which is precisely why I bought it, just to bring some attention to my activity level. I use the Sleep function too but not every night, it shows my restlessness while trying to sleep. It makes me realize I need to get to bed earlier and get my proper rest. I have the black band, they recently sent out a little strap add-on that keeps the strap from becoming undone by accident so that problem has been resolved. There are plenty of reviews of this product out there, just Google it. The new Fit Bit looks interesting too...Ask Santa to bring you one if you have been good this year.
  • chandnir
    chandnir Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've had these for a while with the HRM. Works really well along with the Garmin Connect, App, the site and MFP. Using it in tandem with the HRM gives you a more honest idea of expended calories
  • runJIBrun
    runJIBrun Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I got a vivofit for christmas... is there any way to get it to sync the calories in & out on the app? For some reason I have to go to the actual website.. also, do yall wear your's on your dominant hand or not? does it make a difference? I've only had it less than a week but it does make me get my butt up and move.. i hate seeing that red bar across it.
  • erichunley
    erichunley Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I wrote a review on it on my site here - . It's a very good device and the prices have dropped. http://hamptonrunner.com/2014/07/13/farewell-to-my-fitbit-friends/