Has anyone lost body fat by doing cardio only?

Options

Replies

• TropicalParaMonster
    Options
    Yes! I started my weight loss journey focusing on cardio and high intensity interval training, that's how I lose about 30lbs. Then I started added strength training, it just boosts your metabolism even more and helps your body to burn throughout the day. Now I do 60 mins cardio and strength train for about 2 hours a week. Good luck :)
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 lbs just by eating less and doing tons of cardio. Once I started strength though, I lost tons of inches and my body looks better then it did doing only cardio.

I'm not going to lie though I am not consistent with weights and I absolutely love running and zumba.

Fat loss is from eating in a caloric deficit. The cardio helps to burn more calories.
  • Flabberboy
    Flabberboy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Of course you'll lose body fat doing cardio BUT only if the basic principle is applied: Calories consumed less than calories being expended.

However I think it's correct that running and cycling won't do much for the upper body.

I might get corrected here but there are exercises that people seem to call cardio that are also strength:

I've been doing a boot camp type circuit training and am quite happily toning up without a weight in sight. Not as sexy as machines, barbells or dumbbells but still effective.

Squats, sit ups, lunges, press ups, planks - all use your own body as the 'weight' and require your muscles to work against the resistance.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    It just depends on your body and your goals. I cardio-ed my way to 95 lbs in college, but I still had a fair amount of body fat - just no muscle underneath. I was thin, but lumpy and bumpy. Then I discovered strength training and I added muscle and suddenly the lumps and bumps started disappearing. I look MUCH better 15 lbs heavier than my lightest weight because I'm not just bones and fat. That said, I have some very slim friends who only do distance running, have never touched a bar or dumbbell and look like gorgeous supermodels. Totally depends on your particular body how you'll look after various types of exercize. Also what your goals are beyond bodyfat. There are lots of benefits to both cardio and lifting, though I know that's not what you asked.
  • Palamedes
    Palamedes Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the fairly standard MFP slow weight loss. I ride my bike on average about 5+ hours a week. I do not do strength training. Since May 16th, I'm down about 38 pounds of which 34 pounds was fat. Weight and fat mass measurements were taken about weekly. Dropped my BMI from 32.5 and fat % 36.2. Currently I'm somewhere around BMI 27.5 and fat % of 26.6. These measures were taken with a Tanita scale.

Therefore, you can lose weight and fat simply doing cardio. When I get to my final weight goal, I may well add some sort of weight training to try and convert fat to muscle.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    kendi0 wrote: »
    Yes! Me! Only running outdoor and eventually skiing in winter. I've lost 7kg, mainly fat, and I've also gained some lean mass.

O'rly? You lost fat and gained muscle...in a deficit...with no progressive overload? Impressive.
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Yes! Me! Only running outdoor and eventually skiing in winter. I've lost 7kg, mainly fat, and I've also gained some lean mass.

O'rly? You lost fat and gained muscle...in a deficit...with no progressive overload? Impressive.

It's black magic!
  • RGv2
    edited November 2014
    Options
    People don't say on here that you need to weight train to lose fat, so let's start by not putting words in the proverbial mouth of the forums.

What is widely accepted is that weight training is the most efficient when it comes to pure fat loss. When you eat in a deficit, the body loses water, fat, and muscle. By weight training (progressive overload) in that deficit, you are working to maintain that LBM so the body loses mainly water and fat.

So you can lose fat through just caloric deficit alone, deficit and cardio, deficit and weight training, (or like many of us) deficit and a mix of cardio/weight triaing. What people are saying isn't that weight training is needed for fat loss, but it is more efficient especially when it comes to body composition.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Yep, lost a bunch just running, also looked flabby and jiggly despite losing a lot of weight....Did a dxa scan and realised I lost a bunch of muscle mass too...:'(
    Started strength training, did not lose much on the scale, but dropped two pant sizes.....
    I know which one I prefer
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Phill2488 wrote: »
    you will lose bodyfat if you're ina calorie deficit, regardless of exercise.

Thank god. I hate strength training. An unpopular opinion I know, but I find it really boring, and I've tried everything to make it more fun, but nothing has worked.

Keep in mind that you don't need to do the standard weight lifting programs. Any program that provides resistance will help you maintain muscle. You can do body weight resistance or programs like cross fit/body pump. And resistance training can improve your cardio workouts.

What this dude said...
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    My legs were muscular from my running, my upper body was flabby and weak from my lack of lifting.
  • yanadhorn
    Options
    now i am weight training and cadio more than 1 hours a day. right now is 2 weeks and i lost 2 kgs.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    People don't say on here that you need to weight train to lose fat, so let's start by not putting words in the proverbial mouth of the forums.

What is widely accepted is that weight training is the most efficient when it comes to pure fat loss. When you eat in a deficit, the body loses water, fat, and muscle. By weight training (progressive overload) in that deficit, you are working to maintain that LBM so the body loses mainly water and fat.

So you can lose fat through just caloric deficit alone, deficit and cardio, deficit and weight training, (or like many of us) deficit and a mix of cardio/weight triaing. What people are saying isn't that weight training is needed for fat loss, but it is more efficient especially when it comes to body composition.
    Good point.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

Thank god. I hate strength training. An unpopular opinion I know, but I find it really boring, and I've tried everything to make it more fun, but nothing has worked.

You could always do exercises that incorporate both strength and cardio. Things like mountain climbers, wood choppers, kettlebell swings, burpees, boxing, walking lunges, jump squats, skaters, etc.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    My take is yes. BUT I'm a better shape if I do free weights for upper body sculpting while also doing regular cardio. The exercise in general lets me eat more calories since 1200 calories is low for many people, but its the calorie goal I have to stay near for fat loss WITHOUT exercise.

And the other BUT is that I don't see the fat loss reflected on my scale as I'm adding muscle at the same time as losing fat, and it is what it is, I'm more motivated by my scale than how my clothes fit. It's not logical but it is. So for me its a balance of how much exercise I do versus not, to actually see pounds drop on the scale.

And the kicker for me is I MUCH prefer weight training to cardio, but my knees and back have issues so I have to be careful, but I love my upper body training. I hate cardio, hate might be a bit strong, so I just massively dislike it. I do it anyway, I'm just not happy about it.
  • RGv2
    Options
    My take is yes. BUT I'm a better shape if I do free weights for upper body sculpting while also doing regular cardio. The exercise in general lets me eat more calories since 1200 calories is low for many people, but its the calorie goal I have to stay near for fat loss WITHOUT exercise.

And the other BUT is that I don't see the fat loss reflected on my scale as I'm adding muscle at the same time as losing fat, and it is what it is, I'm more motivated by my scale than how my clothes fit. It's not logical but it is. So for me its a balance of how much exercise I do versus not, to actually see pounds drop on the scale.

And the kicker for me is I MUCH prefer weight training to cardio, but my knees and back have issues so I have to be careful, but I love my upper body training. I hate cardio, hate might be a bit strong, so I just massively dislike it. I do it anyway, I'm just not happy about it.

Bolded is highly doubtful. Yes, the extremely obese, extremely undertrained, and the returning athlete can put on some fairly appreciable muscle when losing fat but it is normally short lived and nearly impossible to balance out fat loss on the scale with muscle gain (especially for a female...sorry, it is what it is). What you are most likely seeing is water retention from the weight training. I can gain 6lbs over night after a heavy lifting session.

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Dave198lbs wrote: »
    The popular opinion on here is that to lose body fat you need to do strength training, but as anyone on here lost body fat with no strength training and only cardio? Stomach fat especially

I guess the next question is, what kind of stomach do you want? Honestly, if you don't have low enough body fat and adequate muscle, then you won't have abs. So at some point, you might have to lift and even more, you might have to bulk to get abs if that is you goal.

Personally, i exercise to reach my goals, not set goals based on my exercise. And for the type of body I want, resistance training is a must.

no

If you say so. I have seen plenty of times where people are underweight and still don't have abs and still have stomach issues. And the only way it was corrected was by adding mass. But if you feel you want to expand, please do.

underweight ≠low body fat.
  • GeeWillickers
    GeeWillickers Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Strength training can be boring. For most of us here our goal isn't to be a bodybuilder or fitness model and following set routines or over exposing yourself to fitness/lifting forums simply causes more confusion. I remember seeing a guy on Muscle & Strength who only lifts once or twice every 10 days. Instead of eliminating it consider stepping outside of the bully pulpit of the internet and experiment for yourself.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options

Oh thank god, I'm not the only person who hates strength training! I've considered the possibility that if I had a person rather than a book/the Internet for guidance, maybe I'd learn to like it -- but my budget doesn't support that at all, so running it is.
  • kendi0
    kendi0 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    JoshuaL86 wrote: »

It's black magic!

Yes, coming from little or no exercise, increasing my level of outdoor activities (running, hiking, biking, skiing) has helped and still help me to lose fat AND gain muscle. If I came from lifting to only cardio, I would agree with you that I would lose muscle along with fat.