Running shoes.

Options
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend some running shoes. I work out a lot, and my mom thinks their life'll be over in August. I have some really great newbalances, and I'm looking for something that's a B width because my feet are really wide and need the room for orthodics because I have plantar fasciatus(sp?) aka low arches :mad: now I really love these runners. but can anyone recommend others for me to go try on?

Replies

• robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I live where New Balance is made (one of the few factories) and we have a Factory Outlet. I currently have 9 pairs of New Balance and have never tried another brand for running/exercising.
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,342 Member
    Options
    I totally love New Balance shoes for running! Although due to my size, I'm currently running in Brooks Beasts. Great cushion & support.

Rule of thumb for running shoes...about 500 miles or when you start to get aches and pains in feet/ankles/knees/hips, etc. Extra if you alternate between two pair. If you're heavy like me (275-ish) and running 12-15 miles per week, then 12 months in a single pair of shoes is pushing it.
  • schobert101
    schobert101 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    There seem to be a lot of posts this afternoon asking the same question. I will tell you what I told the others. It is silly to ask strangers in a forum what shoes to get. Go to a running store where they will watch you run on a treadmill, analyze your gait and foot type, take into consideration your weight, expected mileage etc. You are likely to just waste money or get injured if you do anything less than that.
  • rungirl27
    rungirl27 Posts: 32
    Options
    There seem to be a lot of posts this afternoon asking the same question. I will tell you what I told the others. It is silly to ask strangers in a forum what shoes to get. Go to a running store where they will watch you run on a treadmill, analyze your gait and foot type, take into consideration your weight, expected mileage etc. You are likely to just waste money or get injured if you do anything less than that.

Totally agree! You will be amazed at how great your shoes will feel/fit if you get fitted properly at a running store. I used to buy whatever in college when I ran but when I started marathon training I got fitted and therre is no comparsion!! You should have NO breaking in to worry about, no blisters, they fit perfect..like running on clouds. Also, be sure to try on EVERY brand in your size. Once you do this you can just stick with this brand year after year. Or at least I do. I wear Brooks and I have had plantar fascitis. Also you can get good inserts like superfeet if you need them. I had these inserts when I had plantar fascitis. They helped.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I agree about getting fitted at a running store...I buy new runners every 6 months and always go in and get refitted. I was surprised to find that this go around, my choice was a pair of Nike's. I've NEVER been able to wear Nike shoes because they're too narrow...it seems that Nike listened to consumer complains. : )

Also, are you wearing your runners for everything? Running shoes aren't really suitable for workouts that require good lateral stability (i.e. side to side leaps) or plyometric work where you need to land near the front of your foot. They're designed for running and that's about it.
  • rungirl27
    rungirl27 Posts: 32
    Options
    I agree about getting fitted at a running store...I buy new runners every 6 months and always go in and get refitted. I was surprised to find that this go around, my choice was a pair of Nike's. I've NEVER been able to wear Nike shoes because they're too narrow...it seems that Nike listened to consumer complains. : )

Also, are you wearing your runners for everything? Running shoes aren't really suitable for workouts that require good lateral stability (i.e. side to side leaps) or plyometric work where you need to land near the front of your foot. They're designed for running and that's about it.
    I agree with this. I got peroneal tendonitis on the outside of my foot wearing my running shoes while doing Body Combat classes (kickboxing with a lot of jumping around). This caused an imbalance and I ended up getting IT issues, hamstring and hip problems on my other leg from compensating while running. The doctor told me it was because running shoes are meant to go forward only. Not side to side. So yes, get different shoes for different activities.