Over 60

Options
Hi..
Wondering if there are any seniors over 60 that would like to communicate regularly with me so that we can support and encourage each other during good and bad days.

Replies

• mamarog283
    mamarog283 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just joined today and am over 60. I have 100 lbs to lose and I need all of the encouragement I can get!
  • Hope2036
    Hope2036 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hello...How wonderful we both joined today. I am from Canada. I see that you are a retired teacher and 62. I am a retired accounting technician and am 63. I would love to get down 70 lbs since that is what the calculations show for my age and height but I will be pleased with 40-50 lbs. I did lose that when I was 60 or 61 and I felt great. I knew better but still continued to eat wrong and too much and it all came back and today is officially the same weight from 2-3 years ago. Unfortunately it has settled in different places and I can not believe what I did to myself again when I look in the mirror which I have always avoided.
    I am thinking of joining another type of gym that is available 24/7 and at the best price $ 10 per month with no commitment. I lost 40-50 lbs under a program in 4 months but expensive and they did not suggest exercise except for walking until I reached my goal which was 70 lbs. I did some Xbox stuff and than cardio at a gym at the 30 lb mark and the weight did seem to come off slower but I was not sure if that was the reason or perhaps I was starting to fall off the wagon. What I am concerned about this time around it that the skin will not tone up because I am now a few years older so I think I need to start right away and be happy with it taking longer. The fact that you are a teacher, I will apology for any spelling or grammar in my e-mails with this e-mail.
  • mamarog283
    Options
    Hi! Your spelling and grammar are perfect. I'm not here to correct your emails...lol. My name is Mary and I'm from Western New York. I was never heavy when young. After having 3 kids the weight never went away. Can't blame it on the pregnancy anymore as the "baby" is 26...lol! And, I just decided I need to do this for myself. I eat whether I'm hungry or not. I guess it's like being an alcoholic except with food. Half the time I don't even taste what I'm eating.
    I belong to our local Aquatic and Fitness center. Since I've had 2 partial knee replacements I enjoy the water classes. Less stress on the knees! You're right about the toning. I just don't know if everything will go back to where it used to be!
    I'm glad I decided to sign on today and found you. I will keep in touch on good days and bad and with weight losses and gains (hope I don't have any of those).
    I don't really know how this works. Do I keep going back to this message board to find you?
    Good luck and just remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    62 and here every day!
  • Hope2036
    Options
    Hello Mary: My name is Hope and I am from Southern Ontario. l am also so glad that you and I have connected and are starting this journey again on weight lose. It can be done because we did it before. For me as recent as a couple of years ago. We have to stay focused each and every minute of our day. Record our intake and resist those Halloween treats we have in the house. I have chocolate and chips. Always bad to get what I enjoy and it did not take a lot of objections from me when my husband said get what we like. I should have bought different stuff but used him as the reason to purchase what is my down fall.
    It is so great that you are doing aquatic exercises...it will not only help in weight loss but will be easier on your knees until the weight starts to disappear and you will be able to do both aquatic and some walking.
    When it comes to the skin changing - when we were young it did but at this age things change and it will not be so easy and I am not expecting it to. If I do it will be a downer and I might give up.
    Mary, what did fitness pal set your daily calorie intake at? Mine is 1200 and my first day I went over by at 600 and that was due to the Halloween and I made spareribs for dinner and did not stop at a 3oz piece. So much fat and too much protein according to fitness pal.
    Need to try again to-day to keep the calories according to the plan because with out doing this the cycle will not stop.
    I totally agree with you about the fact that eating is like an alcoholic that can not quit and that we eat even if not hungry and do not even taste our food. I have thought this many times and am so thankful to hear that you think the same.
    Lets set a challenge for the week - for me it is bread - limit myself to one slice a day. If I get the urge I will first drink at least 2 glasses of water and failing that take a Melba toast or rice cake and than drink. Bread is so bad for our belly size.
    I see that you lost 1 lb, that is great - how long did that take.
    As for finding our communication, not sure you to do this and I am sure there are several different ways but for me - On home page there is Community and I click here. Than about half way on the screen is another strip menu and I select "my Discussions" click, and you will see over 60"and click on it and there we are.
    Let me know how you did yesterday and stay focused to-day with water and calories. We need to keep the calorie intake low to lose since our activity level is not able for use to reduce calorie intake.
  • Hope2036
    Options
    Hello IWTBFCIN:
    I read with interest your profile information and that is wonderful that you quit smoking. I never smoked. As for alcohol - never did that either. Congratulations on your loss of almost 30 lbs - Did not notice how long it took but still a great accomplishment,

My biggest issue is eating because I am stressed or bored. Both just as difficult to eliminate when one has been doing it for so many years that it comes almost natural to turn to chocolate vs water or an apple or just resist.

I see that you are looking for those at 1100 calories to encourage and support and I am doing the 1200. I hope to record daily but if I do not - I do not wish to have to explain it to anyone- I would only hope for support and encouragement to get back on track.

Seems that I do not meet your parameters for calories and even though I hope to be recording daily because I do think this will lead to my success, I have failed in the past and that may be the reason I find myself with this extra weight that I lost 2-3 years ago. Recording is perhaps something I will have to continue after I lose my goal weight for 1 year after so that I do not fall off again.

Wishing you all the best in your weight loss goals and thanks for checking in but seems that it would be best to count me out.
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies-You can go to "friends" at the top of the page and click on "Invite friends." One of you can invite the other to be friends and then you can comment on each other's feeds, private message each other etc. without having to find the Discussion Board everyday. Hope this helps as we over 60s need to go into 70s slim and gorgeous!! :bigsmile:

27715887.png
  • Hope2036
    Options
    Hello Zichab: Thank you for the tip on how do this. I was wondering and did go into my setting but was not sure on how to do this. Thanks Mary and I will try this.
    I see that you lost 99 lbs - WOW this is great...Were you losing an average of 2 lbs a week.
    - Congratulations...well done
    - Just goes to prove that weight loss can be had at any age.
    - What about the skin...can you enlighten us on this...some tightens rest is surgery I assume.
  • mamarog283
    Options
    Hi Hope!
    I get 1320 calories/day. Didn't hit it yesterday. Was 300 too low. I put my goal at 1.5 lbs/wk. I didn't want to make my goal too high or I'd get discouraged.
    I didn't even buy Halloween candy yet. I know what will happen if I bring it in to the house...lol! I usually end up buying too much and eat all of the leftovers in about 2 days. I'm going to try NOT to do that this year!
    The one lb it said I lost was from the last time I belonged. I was down 1.5 this morning, but I know it had to be water weight. I haven't started back at the gym yet, so, hopefully, that will get things moving a little quicker. I find I have to do the food diary every time I eat or I go way off. I need to be policed, especially when I first start.
    Good luck today. Don't get discouraged!
    My goal for this week is to get all of my water in every day!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I sent you an email because I do not eat 1109 calories per day. I eat 1200 or more. What I stated was that eating less than 1100 calories is unhealthy in my opinion.
  • Hope2036
    Options
    Hello IWTBFCIN3
    Please accept my apologies. You are correct, I did miss read and did not understand the point you were making. I see that I need to take more time reading and not skip over important words. Thanks for pointing this out...I definitely will read profiles and messages more than once before I comment.
  • Hope2036
    Options
    Hello Mary: Good for you on your loss, even if it is water weight, it is a start. As yet, I have not decided when to get on the scales. Not seeing the scales move has in the past discouraged me. I went for a walk with my dog this morning. The weather was fantastic. Gave me another 250 calories to work with. I start out great on my food recording. Previously, I was using my desktop in my home office and this gave me the excuse not to do food entries until late evening. I took steps this time to eliminate the excuse and got a laptop for the kitchen. I can record as I eat...LOL
    Hope your day went well.
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,446 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Hope2036 wrote: »
    Hello Zichab: Thank you for the tip on how do this. I was wondering and did go into my setting but was not sure on how to do this. Thanks Mary and I will try this.
    I see that you lost 99 lbs - WOW this is great...Were you losing an average of 2 lbs a week.
    - Congratulations...well done
    - Just goes to prove that weight loss can be had at any age.
    - What about the skin...can you enlighten us on this...some tightens rest is surgery I assume.

I have been taking this weight off since Aug of 2012 so some weeks it was 2 pounds and some weeks it was 1 pound and some weeks it was an annoying .3 pounds, but at least it was generally going DOWN! :bigsmile: Honestly, I do not have a lot of loose skin at all. I lost the weight very slowly for one thing and once I got down to 181 pounds, I started strength training with weights and I found that helped a lot. I am within .8 pounds of my goal and then I want to lose 2-3 pounds more so I can maintain in a range of 3-5 pounds.

The best advice I can give anyone is to eat, walk like crazy, (cardio burns calories) lift some weights (muscles burn more calories at rest) and do not be in a big hurry. It took me 20 years to gain all this weight and 2 years to lose it so I am thinking it was 2 years well invested. I want to be in maintenance by my 62nd birthday on Dec. 11! So far, it looks like I just might do it!!!

You can lose weight at any age-the key is to really be fed up with being overweight! I was SICK of IT!!!! :laugh: Good luck to you!

27715887.png
  • mamarog283
    Options
    Hi Zichab!
    Thanks for the info on your weight loss. I, too, have around 100 lbs to lose. This is not the first time I've tried to lose weight, but this time I'm determined! It sounds like you're going to make your goal by your birthday. What a fantastic birthday gift to give yourself! Congratulations!!!
  • Hope2036
    Options
    How wonderful Zichab!
    You are definitely a success story that shows hard work will be the results a person wants. You will have a great birthday - feeling great, looking great most of all being healthy and fit.
    - Congratulations
  • db56
    db56 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am 60 and have about 20 lbs to lose. Bread is my big weakness
  • Mrsc89xx
    Mrsc89xx Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I am new to this site; I am 62, I am still working (for just under 4 more years), I have 35 lbs to lose. I have been using loseit site for the past 6 months and have not been able to lose much. This site seems like it has more useful information to help.
  • Hope2036
    Options
    Hello db56 & Mrsc89xx
    Sorry, I have not been checking the community boards on a daily or even regular basis. Would like to communicate via friends and have sent you both an e-mail message. Please check for it.
    Hope to hear from you...Regards Hope
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. I'm Janet and 67 years old. I set my first goal at a 50 pound weight loss, but when I reach that I may decide I need to lose more. I'm so happy to find other "experienced" ladies that are taking this journey. I'll gladly support you and welcome your support as well. I retired about a year ago, which makes it easier to plan what I'll eat, but also hard because I'm home where the food is. lol I've been on this journey about a month and the thing I like best about this site is that I can see how many calories are in the foods. I now chose something else when planning a meal because I don't want to waste the calories on certain things. I've lost 14 pounds and very excited. I have to say I'm not finding it as hard to stay under 1200 calories as I thought I would. I'm trying to keep variety in my food so I won't get tired of it. Sorry for the ramble, but happy to find you and would love for any of you to friend me.
  • maggiemoak
    Options
    Is this group still active?