Carbs at night?

Options
I have been told to stick with lean protein and green veggies at night. Makes sense to me because the carbs/starches I eat on a normal are made with white flour. My concern is them turning to sugar and then I sleep on them. I work out midday so this is why I steer clear of them.

Opinions/suggestions?

GO!

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    If you are eating at a calorie deficit, there isn't any reason to worry about eating carbs at night. Nutrient timing plays a very insignificant role.
  • njmark72
    njmark72 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you eat. Your body cycles. What is your goal? To lose weight? If it is then simply take in less calories than you burn. Are you following your macros using your diary here? Ie, Carbs, fats & proteins? Just stick to those and you will be fine.

Best regards,
    Mark
  • jaquelynny
    jaquelynny Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    eat them when you eat them, it wont matter. but your muscles get more bag for your buck when you eat them around your workouts
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons people do this is because it simply makes keeping calories under control easier for a lot of people, particularly if they're not actively counting calories...eating carbs at night has nothing to do with whether you lose weight, maintain weight, or gain weight...

Calories are a unit of energy...your body requires XXXX energy per day to maintain..when you exceed that requirement, your body stores that excess energy as body fat for later use. When you consume a balance of energy you maintain...when you eat under your requirements your body has to compensate by dipping into fat stores (stored energy).

A lot of these things like don't eat carbs in the evening or don't eat after a certain time or don't do this or don't do that come from the non-calorie counting world...where adhering to these "rules" can help with energy balance.

I personally don't log anymore (save for a spot check here and there like yesterday), but I have plenty of rules for myself...not because these rules are "magical"...but because they keep me on the straight and narrow without having to log every little thing into a food diary.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    If you are eating at a calorie deficit, there isn't any reason to worry about eating carbs at night. Nutrient timing plays a very insignificant role.
    This and this.

I personally prefer my carbs after dark.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I've heard this advice, too. I don't follow it, because I like a little bit of a sweet snack before bed.

Physically, it really makes no difference what time of day you eat your calories. Psychologically, it might make a difference for some people. If you're eating "trigger" foods later in the evening before bed, and you have a history of overindulging on them or not being able to stop, then maybe it's a good habit to get yourself in to stop eating carb-heavy or starchy foods after dinner.

But again, this is more of a mental thing than anything else. Physically, there's no magic time of day.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I put my carbs under my pillow and sleep soundly
  • k8ermarie
    Options
    Thanks y'all...I will investigate my reasoning and what works best for me first.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    nosajjao wrote: »
    First of all, no idea why you're eating at night before bed. That's not good, you're body will be trying to digest while you sleep rather than recovering from the day's activities and you'll wake more tired than you should be. Second of all, white flour doesn't turn to sugar when you digest it. Only sugar is sugar when you consume it (all forms of sugar). Excess sugar that the body can't process gets turned to fat. Key point, the safe threshold for sugar for the body is low, so eating sugary foods before bed is really bad. If you really want to cap the day off with a final food, something small with a fat/protein content would be a better option. A 4-6oz glass of milk shaken with third scoop of whey isolate powder.

Yes, don't listen to any of this.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    First of all, no idea why you're eating at night before bed. That's not good, you're body will be trying to digest while you sleep rather than recovering from the day's activities and you'll wake more tired than you should be. Second of all, white flour doesn't turn to sugar when you digest it. Only sugar is sugar when you consume it (all forms of sugar). Excess sugar that the body can't process gets turned to fat. Key point, the safe threshold for sugar for the body is low, so eating sugary foods before bed is really bad. If you really want to cap the day off with a final food, something small with a fat/protein content would be a better option. A 4-6oz glass of milk shaken with third scoop of whey isolate powder.

lol, no.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

LMAO!!! OP, do not listen to this poster. If you are wanting to lose weight, then eat what you want when you want as long as you remain in a deficit. Your body does not operate on a clock like MFP does.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

so much wrong in this post....

excess calories get turned into fat, excess sugar has nothing to do with it..

OP ignore this.

You can eat carbs whenever you want..
  • ndj1979
    Options
    k8ermarie wrote: »
    Thanks y'all...I will investigate my reasoning and what works best for me first.

your reasoning is wrong...

• gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed that "carbs at night" is still a thing that's questioned in 2014.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I'm amazed that "carbs at night" is still a thing that's questioned in 2014.

welcome to MFP ....
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

so much wrong in this post....

excess calories get turned into fat, excess sugar has nothing to do with it..

OP ignore this.

You can eat carbs whenever you want..

I second this. Ignore, OP.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Really??

I ate a piece of this in bed last night and fell asleep pretty soon after
    2ymt6dv.jpg

Woke up feeling great, got my workout done and I've lost a little weight. If my dessert was milk with whey isolate powder I'd hurt someone
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Gotta love Pinterest-science