Where do you double check calories in a food item?

Sometimes the MFP database can be a bit tricky for me to wade through given the number of user inputted foods. What sites do you use to check calories in basic food items?

I was having the hardest time establishing how many calories are in 4 oz of cooked chicken breast.

Replies

• Try chicken breast raw. (Works with other basic stuff too) The one with the most weighing options. It usually has a long description of what it is too. Otherwise the USDA database has good nutritional value on basic foods.

I usually take one that is measured in grams if I can't find something with the type of search above.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    The label on the package.
  • maureenh0709
    maureenh0709 Posts: 16 Member
    Thanks everyone! I should have mentioned that I always check the package when available. I was struggling mostly with unpackaged items (produce, the cooked chicken breast leftovers my aunt gave me in a tupperware etc.)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Usually, the label.

Sometimes, USDA or the company website.

Sometimes I buy bread from the Publix bakery. I cannot find nutritional info for it anywhere, so I used an entry that seemed reasonable. But I don't know if it's accurate or not, which is fairly annoying.
  • 58Rock
    58Rock Posts: 176 Member
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/

Gives you extensive nutritional data on any food. Never failed to find what I was looking for here.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    USDA. It's the same information that's at the nutritiondata site identified above and also should be what's on the MFP non-asterisked entries. (I've double checked many of them and so far found no problems.)
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    For the Canadians out there: The Canadian Nutrient Guide Database has nutritional information for over 5000 foods: hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/nutrition/fiche-nutri-data/index-eng.php
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    I search for entries for new foods I am wanting to add to my personal database (I do not use anything added to the MFP public database, whether it's USDA entry or not) through sites like skipthepie.org or nutritiondata.self.com and calculate calories from macros.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    edited November 2014
    BTW...publix bakery nutrition is on their site. Under products go to bakery and find the product. Have nutrition info at bottom.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    input raw ingredients...when you input stuff like "baked chicken breast", you're getting other people's recipes, etc. There's no way to tell how they made up that recipe...how much oil they used, etc.

Just input the raw ingredients as you go and/or use the recipe builder. If it doesn't come in a package, I pretty much use USDA...i.e. "chicken breast USDA"