Wintertime and Losing Motivation

Options
2»

Replies

• Zephalia
    Zephalia Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Winnipeg, Manitoba here - I sympathize. This morning I walked outside and the snow is blowing, traffic was barely moving and roads are icy.

This weather makes me want to cuddle up in the evening with a hearty food item, get tucked under blankets, put a show on and sip wine. How I deal with these cravings is moderation. I will eat lower calorie foods during the day so that in the evening I can have that hearty dinner and wine and not feel bad about it. Another favorite of mine is soups and chili which are great hearty dinner items that can be premade on weekends in a calorie friendly way - so that when I want to curl up in the evening with a big bowl of chili I don't have to feel bad. I simply take out a single serve (about 250 calories and very satisfying) and have my wine with it for a 400 calorie dinner that makes me feel like I cheated.

The key is making it fit into your calorie intake for the week. Exercise is a big part of that for me and I have dwindled on the motivation as well BUT the thought of gaining back my weight keeps getting off my rear and into the workout.

Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite...I tend to get a little lazy in the summer and into fall...all the BBQs and hanging out with friends well into the light filled evening drinking beer, etc. I ride quite a bit in the summer and whatnot, but I'm more reluctant to hit the weight room which is when I generally see my best results all around.

Winter time is go time...I get into the weight room and frackin' GO! It's heated and the lights are on...there's nothing really better to do. Hit it hard, get in some cycling and a little running and by late spring I'm ready for poolside.
  • Winterlover123
    Winterlover123 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    elsie_fair wrote: »
    shadowloss wrote: »

Summer bodies are made in the winter!

I LOVE that!
  • kmessinger14
    kmessinger14 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm in the Northeast too... my motivation is the fun Winter clothes. There are a lot of sleek clothes in Winter. I don't want to hide this Winter in a fat sweater I want to wear jeans with nice more fitted tops. Any Holiday parties.. come on. I'm going to wear a sexy dress sister.. not a bag like last year. Oh yea, I'm motivated to do it...You know also, time goes by quickly so before you know it Spring will be here again. At my job, we're already planning for Spring as of this week.. Keep up all your great work!!

Wow. Yes. I never think about holiday/NYE outfits until the last minute and never have the "hot bod" to fit into something form-fitting! This is definitely something I will use as motivation - AWESOME Sequin NYE dress here I come!
  • kmessinger14
    kmessinger14 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm the opposite...I tend to get a little lazy in the summer and into fall...all the BBQs and hanging out with friends well into the light filled evening drinking beer, etc. I ride quite a bit in the summer and whatnot, but I'm more reluctant to hit the weight room which is when I generally see my best results all around.

Winter time is go time...I get into the weight room and frackin' GO! It's heated and the lights are on...there's nothing really better to do. Hit it hard, get in some cycling and a little running and by late spring I'm ready for poolside.

I compeletely agree with this too.... I workout all winter/spring and then when summer comes around I let go and by the end of summer I'm back to hating going out in my swimsuit. There's just so much to do in the summer its hard to keep on track. I think what works best for me is small goals (as stated in my post above) ... so maybe I should look forward to things at the end of summer to motivate me in that time as well. Just so happens next summer I'm going to Cali for a wedding, so I already have my goal set!
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Sign up to participate and in sort of event and train for it. That will keep you motivated.
  • alienbabyjen
    alienbabyjen Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    there are lots of comfort foods you can make healthy versions of yourself. I think potatoes get a bad rap. I love 'em and I don't go without. I weigh them and log them like everything else.