Goal weight = my clothes don't fit anymore. Alterations vs. buying new?

Options
dancedivine
dancedivine Posts: 18 Member
Hey, guys!!! I've got a random question for the peanut gallery.... How do you handle the massive wardrobe makeover that comes with weight loss? I'm now at my goal weight (down about 15 pounds since January) & I have literally had to build an entirely new wardrobe from scratch. Fun.... and, expensive. So, anyways, I'm just curious to hear how you guys have handled this conundrum... I've got a few pieces (J. Crew blazers, etc) that I'm contemplating having altered to fit... But, then again.... Should I just buy new stuff altogether?

Thanks for sharing your experiences & insights! :)

Replies

• parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I've altered one of my suits a couple of times now. Cost has been $90-95 a pop. I plan to have my tailor make a couple new suits once I get a bit closer, but thus far the cost to alter it has been quite a bit less than replacing it. But for less expensive clothes, I just replace them altogether.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I deal with it by keeping all the clothes I used to wear before I gained the weight at the back of my closet. I'm really looking forward to fitting into some of them again.

Other than that, I'd say, if you're losing weight at a slow, sustainable pace, then just buy a few new things each season and wear some of the other things a bit loose until then.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    For items you truly love, or those that would be expensive to replace, I would definitely look into alterations. For more disposable and casual pieces in your wardrobe, I would probably find replacements.

After losing 15-18 pounds, I am a size and a half smaller than I was (which is a little frustrating, because many of the things I bought a size down still don't fit perfectly). I have a stack of items waiting to be taken to the tailor (mostly summer clothes...I figure I have time before I'll be wearing them again).
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I bought a transitional wardrobe at Ross for cheap, and then started slowly adding more expensive pieces as I was financially able. It turned out to be a good strategy, since I lost additional inches and my transitional wardrobe ended up not fitting for long.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I also am trying to learn how to sew. I took some classes and recently purchased a sewing machine.

My theory is, hey, even if I get thin, I'm never gonna get tall. At my height (5'1") I'll always have to alter clothes to fit. So I might as well learn how.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this earlier today. I have 3 skirts from J Crew that are 2 sizes too big now :( Since they were expensive I think I'm going to get them altered. I checked JCrew.com this morning and none of them are available in my size anymore (now I'm an 8, but when I bought them in september I was a 12).

I also have a bunch of Editor Pants from Express that are 10's and now they're too big as well. But I don't think they're worth getting altered I'll wait for them to go on sale and buy new ones.

But I need new panties lolol. I didn't take underwear into consideration when I started losing weight!

Oh - and OP: Christmas is coming so maybe ask friends/family for giftcards to some of your favorite stores.
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I had a total of 120lbs to lose (90lbs left to go) and am a huge miser when it comes to buying clothing in the first place. As we all know, every 10lbs your clothing is looking baggy and every 15-20lbs you just can't make the bagginess look good any more. If I bought new clothing every 20lbs I would be buying even a modest wardrobe 6 times over by the time I reach my goal weight. When you consider the low cost of WalMart clothing (to buy until all the weight comes off) paying for alterations would be as expensive or more than buying new clothing. My solution is to simply alter my own clothing.

I luck out with a mom-in-law who has spent decades gathering every bit of necessary sewing item, but one can purchase an inexpensive machine at the cost of a few pairs of pants and shirts; dollar stores carry pins, needles, measuring tapes, and cheap threads (although I suggest "splurging" on better quality thread). Simple pencil crayons work great as fabric pencils. If you have a large amount of weight to lose imo this is the way to go, unless you need to buy expensive suits for work and need the alterations to look uber primo. You can make endless alterations for the same price or cheaper than what parkscs pays for a single suit. Altering your clothing is actually very simple, unless you're changing the seam (like making bell bottoms or something). You basically follow the current seams, removing excess fabric if you've lost enough weight to make the seams go cockeyed (like my last alterations... removed an inch of fabric from both legs :smiley: so the seams didn't cork-screw).

At this point I only buy inexpensive WalMart or Costco clothing, but have still saved myself about $80 on my two pairs of "fat pants" by altering them myself. I'll buy new pants once the alterations leaves the butt looking saggy. Fixable but way more work than I'm willing to put in to $20 pants.
  • Misshodge64
    Misshodge64 Posts: 8,588 Member
    Options
    It really depends, if you are trying to lose more weight or not. NOT to sound negative but keep some old clothes, incase the weight comes back.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Clothes that can be tailored were tailored...everything else I bought new and donated all of my "fat clothes"
  • Michaelg235
    Michaelg235 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I for one love keeping my old clothes it's a great for motivation ..

and buying new clothes is the best it's like your a new person
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I think I am only going to alter my dress from Anthropologie last winter. It's black and has gold panthers and I paid full price for it. Stupid.
  • DevilsNegu
    DevilsNegu Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm buying all new clothes!!!!
  • Annabear3
    Annabear3 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have a big journey to go, losing over 100 lbs, so I know the wardrobe thing will come up a few times. I held off buying anything new until nothing fit any more. I looked and felt frumpy in my tops and my bras no longer fit. I spent all day pulling up my pants. So I hit the clearance racks and big sales and bought stretch pants and tops that will look good as they get looser as well. This is my inbetween wardrobe revamp, so no expensive pieces. I considered the need to clean out my closet and shop (2 sizes down!) a reward for my hard work. After my wardrobe change is when people started commenting on the weight loss. Not wearing the same clothes I always did brought attention to the change in my body. And I feel so much better putting on the so much smaller clothes :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I took some clothes to the cleaners for alteration.

Then I forgot about them.

Until I just read your post now.

The end.
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I would get the expensive pieces I just can't live without professionally altered. I would alter any simple skirts myself, since I sew (on a beginner/intermediate level). I've actually done this with a pencil skirt I fell in love with from the thrift store...turned out really well. The rest of it, I'd go to thrift stores and look for good lables for the bulk of my wardrobe, and I'd buy a few odd pieces new. I'm not really one for spending a TON on clothes, and hunting through the racks is a TON of fun for me.

Oh, and I'd make some new pieces for myself from scratch...It's actually what I've been doing since my first round of weight loss.
  • jillianajones
    jillianajones Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    But I need new panties lolol. I didn't take underwear into consideration when I started losing weight!
    Me neither. I have lost around 35 lbs, and I have gone down a size in underwear and down a band size and cup size in bras. That one made me happier than the underwear size.

• JMoore221979
    JMoore221979 Posts: 266
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I think it depends on what it is. When I have to upsize I typically shop at thrift stores. If its an expensive item I am more likely to take it in and see if anything can be done.
    Oh and I don't think you should buy undergarments at a thrift store ;-)
  • jillianajones
    jillianajones Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm having similar problems. I'm down to a 12 from 14/16, and I'm hoping to get down to an 8 or 10, so I'm hesitant to go buy a bunch of clothes that may not fit me in another six months. I think if it's just going down a size, clothes should be able to be tailored, but two sizes or more, you might as well donate.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    When my pants fell, I decided to just get a couple more.. But sizes that were a bit tight. Seemed right, until those fell off, too.
  • khakstol
    khakstol Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think you should look at as a reward for being disciplined about your diet and exercise. Updating your wardrobe because of lost weight should be a motivator.