Just starting today, and I really need help and advice!

Options
Hi everyone, this is my first post on MFP and my first time trying this. I gained 45 pounds in 6 months while I was on antidepressants. I have been off for almost a year now and have only lost 5 lbs of that weight gained. I don't know what to do. I use to be extremely fit and skinny, but the past year and a half have been extremely over-weight and unhappy. I am 21 years old and graduating in May. I really need some help, ideas, and motivation because I am trying to lose 40 pounds by graduation. My current weight is 170 and I would do anything to be down to 130. I was always a competative dancer and a person that said gaining weight would never happen to me, but it has and I can't quite figure out how to get it off. I still dance 2 days a week, but would love some more tips and ideas to really get this weight loss started!

Thanks!

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Eat at a calorie defecit

Dance more to eat more

But really it's just that ..throw away all the gimmicks and diet crazes, set yourself a calorie goal, using MFP, weigh and log everything
  • karenelliott1908
    Options
    Hello and welcome from me, a relative newbie myself.A few things I have learned along the way: having to log food makes you painfully aware of the awful "portion distortion" anyone even a few pounds overweight must have. I am trying to drop from 10st 11 to 9st 11 a drop of 1stone (14 pounds). Am currently 10st 4 after 30 days, slow and steady ...

I too was on anti-depressants several years ago and when I asked the doc about implications of weight gain he chuckled and told me it wasn't the meds that would make me put on the weight more the food I chucked in my mouth! He admitted they may affect my appetite.

If you used to love exercise you will know that a little of what you like makes you feel SOOOO much better. You never speak to someone on their way out of a gym/ dance/ exercise class who says "well that wasn't worth it". Keep up the dancing and dont give up, maybe add another exercise - a walking group in your area is great for getting you out and about with other like minded people (maybe even start one as a countdown to graduation group and together do a couch potato to 5k training programme).

Be honest with yourself and start valuing the wonderful body you have - cheez wish I had at 21 (I'm 47 now). And by valuing it I mean to give it QUALITY food not quantity. Creating a plate of colour and nutrition actually makes you feel so wonderfully satisfied. And be patient - hard work pays off, always. x
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Go to iifym. Pit in your stats. Reset Mfp to reflect these macros. Log accurately. Stay in your macros. And lift heavy (for you)